“The good, the bad and the ugly”
Review of Emine Sultan Hotel

Emine Sultan Hotel
Ranked #181 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Los Angeles
“The good, the bad and the ugly”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The GOOD

If the Emine Sultan hotel was JUST the main property (and not the suites), I would have given it a higher rating. We stayed there for three nights and had a great stay. The young guy and young woman who work the front desk were helpful and warm. Our email exchanges before our stay were prompt and attentive. Upon arrival, we were forewarned by our TripAdvisor community that the room would be small. So, we were prepared for that but the room was nicer than we had imagined. They are decorated in way that is welcoming and comfortable. We stayed on the 1st floor and enjoyed it! AND the breakfast is delicious. It's especially beautiful to eat on the top floor with a view of the city. The benefit of staying at Emine over other nearby hotels is that they have an upper level room that is covered to protect from the cold in winter.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we decided to go back there after leaving Istanbul for a couple of days and spring for a suite...but that's when things got bad.

The BAD

Upon arrival, we were told that our room was at the OTHER location. I had read about this on TripAdvisor and forgot to request a room at the main hotel. It's a bit of a distance and I didn't like the idea of walking that far for breakfast. But we braved it and made our way over to the 'suites' in a taxi that the hotel arranged which was really nice of them. We were soooo disappointed when we walked into our room. The bathroom stank so bad- it was as if somebody had used a dirty, moldy mop all over the floors and walls and then closed the door and turned the heat up. Then, we opened the closet and there was a pair of men's pants crumpled on the shelf. The room was huge and the bed was one of those cool round beds. It looks great in the pictures. But when you're there, it's more like a room by the hour gone bad. So, we walked back downstairs, called the main hotel and said we didn't want to stay there and asked if they had any other rooms. We had to make our own way back (no more taxi provided by the hotel) with numerous bags. But at least they said they had a room similar to the one we stayed in during our first trip. And that's when things got ugly...

The UGLY

Upon our return, the front desk guy was annoyed with us. I get it. It's annoying when people want to change rooms. But, this is the hotel industry and that's part of the business. So, when I asked about the rate of the new room, he replied that we would have to pay the same amount as the suite. I responded "I don't think we should pay $20 more than we paid three nights ago for the same room. You can't charge us the same price as the suite for a much smaller room." He responded "I can and you will pay it." Whaaaat? After I explained to him how ludicrous it was, he offered for us to stay in the room and they would tell us the rate the following morning. Ummm really?

Okay, so the conversation went from there and just got worse. Finally, I said we didn't want any room and that we were leaving. His response? "Whether you stay or don't stay, I will charge you for the first night bc of your last-minute cancellation." When I explained that we weren't cancelling, that we were leaving bc the rooms we were offered were unacceptable, he wouldn't let it go. We left.

Luckily, they must have come to their senses bc I was not in fact charged. I think someone realized it would be illegal to charge my cc without my authorization. So I appreciate and am very grateful that it ended with some level professionalism!

Moral of the story:

(1) If you want to stay at Emine, confirm that your room is in the main building. Staying there is worth it! Despite my poor rating, the main location is great. I just had to average out the two buildings.

(2) Do NOT stay in the suites. Soooooo not worth it. You pay more and get less. Too many other choices around.

(3) Don't back down if someone is trying to bully you into paying for something that you don't want.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel are clean and offer good value. WELL worth staying in them. AVOID the su...
3 Thank Claudia P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel is very nice, in the center of historical part of Istanbul. It is 5 minute walk to the Blue mosque and Hagia Sophia. Hotel has very beautiful terrace with excellent view, where they serve breakfast. Hotel stuff is kind and helpful, they will provide you information on main tourist attractions and tours that you can take while in Istanbul. City transport is well organized and you can get from old town to Taksim square in less than half an hour. Istanbul is lovely city and this hotel is ideal place to stay with fair price and good service.

1 Thank KaruskaH
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the "suite" which was about a 5 minute walk away from the main hotel. Normally I think of a suite as more than one room however not so in this case. It was simply a large room with a king bed and two mattresses on the floor.

We made it work. It was nice having our own virtually private building. The tour company on the main floor hooked us up with a great tour and taxis as needed.

The breakfast, despite having to walk several blocks back to the hotel to eat, was well worth it, far beyond an average free hotel breakfast.

We have no complaints about this hotel. The area itself is very noisy at night so maybe pack earplugs.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Worldstraveled
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 22 November 2013

With the first step into this cosy little place I felt welcome and comfortable. The friendlyness and service of the 24h staff is amazing, in the lobby you always have fruits, sweets and biscuits, they also offer drinks and help you to coordinate your stay and organize tours (only the 7€ airport trip you get next door for 5€). Internet, printer and books/magazines are available, also Wifi in the rooms is free.

Though this hotel is a bit hidden in a small street (taxi drivers dont know it), it is very central and in walking distance to main sights like the blue mosque, aya sofya, topkapi and grand bazar and also the tram station.

From the roof top (breakfast) you have a wonderful view to the blue mosque and over the marmara sea. The breakfast is fresh and nice, mostly local dishes, including turkish coffee.

If you have the room in the 4th floor, be aware that you are right next to the breakfast room and due to the old construction the noise of plates and cuttlery will not let you sleep after 7am. Also, the nice mosque view brings a lot of noise when they start to pray out of max-level speakers which will throw you out of bed with the sunrise - but I guess due to the amount of mosques in this area this will happen in any hotel.

The rooms are small and so is the bathroom, but the decoration is lovely with many nice details. TV and fridge are available and the cleaning is perfect. Maybe they should think of a little renovation in the bathroom and insulate windows and doors from noise and cold. Still, air con and heating are working well.

I would definitely recommend this place to everyone who does not need the space of a 5* hotel but values individual friendliness and service.

Room Tip: Try 3rd floor or view to the south to avoid noise.
2 Thank Martin D
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed at the Emine Sultan Hotel for 5 nights in Nov 13. It's very cute, really authentic small hotel, furnitured in ottoman style, with a lot of cute details, very clean and cosy, with good breakfast served on terrace with beautiful view on Bosphorus and Blue Moscue, very affordable prices.Specially want to say about customer service - hotel's staff provides really 5 stars service, they were so friendly and helpful! I ran Istambul marathon, was totally tired and exousted and girl on reception booked for me turkish bath with free transportation from hotel and back and it I really need at that moment!
Also hotel is great located, with a few steps to Sultamahmet square and near to tramway station.
The only thing I don't like - morning pray at the nearest moscues. It woke me up every early morning. But I guess It's impossible to avoid this livig in the city with a lot of moscues all around.
It was wonderful stay and I hope to come back to Istambul and to Emine Sultan.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank CrazyRunner13
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

What a great hotel this is! A perfect location within easy walking distance to all the major attractions Istanbul has to offer. The hotel is run by the fabulous Ozen and her family. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Cagri (the manager) booked flights, transfers and let us have a late checkout, he went over and above helping us. Dogen and the rest of the staff were also very helpful with organising a doctor for us and giving us great advice on sightseeing.
The breakfast was very good and looked over the Bosphorus and we even had views of the Blue Mosque. We have now become friends with them all and would recommend staying there.
We will return!!! Thanks guys!!

4 Thank janwah
Islamabad, Pakistan
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is my second stay at "Emine Sultan Hotel". The hotel has a great location, close to all the major attraction. The hotel is clean and has very friendly/helpful staff. My check in was very smooth and i was served with fantastic Turkish delight (locum). The breakfast was good and had lots of variety with amazing views of marmara sea from the window. The reason i chose this hotel is because of the great location and hospitality. My special thanks to Mr. Dogan who adviced me through out the trip. I will definitely visit the hotel again and recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo