“Not as Non-Smoking as you would expect”
Review of I'zaz Lofts

I'zaz Lofts
Ranked #47 of 1,051 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Tokyo, Japan
“Not as Non-Smoking as you would expect”
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I booked I'zaz in part on the strength of reviews listed here and also because the rooms are strictly non-smoking - which was very important to us. But the air was not so clear....

The rooms are beautifully designed and decorated - European and modern. We stayed on the first floor (it was all that was available) and it was a bit too small for my husband and I. Granted, he is 2 meters (6'4") tall. I can't blame I'zaz for that - I did know that the rooms were small.

What was bothersome was the smoking. The policy is to allow smoking on the roof terrace - a covered roof area which opens to a spiral staircase that runs through the whole building. From the night we arrived until the morning we checked out - we had strong cigarette smoke to contend with. I complained and the staff said they would have the building aired and try to make sure no one was smoking in their room - but it didn't help. At one point it was so strong that it gave me a headache. I don't know why it was so smoky - but it was a disappointment.

Also, the location is quite far from the sites - if this is your first time in Istanbul I would recommend staying in the Sultanhamet area and coming over to Beyoglu to see the sites. I'zaz Lofts is located on a little side street near many restaurants - some are traditional goat head specialties - which was a bit gruesome. But it is close to lots of restaurants and bars. We didn't have a problem with the noise as some other reviewers mentioned.

I have given it 3 stars for service because it is not a "full-service" place, but it is not advertised as such. Rooms got 3 stars because ours was smoky and quite small (I live in Tokyo - so I am used to small, but this was too tiny for two!). Location was not as great as I had hoped, so 3 stars for that. It was faithfully cleaned every day - and so 4 stars for Cleanliness - but the smoke takes a star away from 5 stars. And Value they get a 3 star because it was not what I had expected. Understand that Turkey is a smoking country and you will contend with it everywhere - but I had sincerely hoped that I could escape to my non-smoking room.

The owner contacted me to discuss my problems and was very responsive - I think that I'zaz would be a nice place to stay if they could truly solve this smoke problem. And if you don't mind being far away from all the historic sites.

4 Thank tokyolane
izazlfts, owner at I'zaz Lofts, responded to this review, 4 June 2009
Hello,

We are sorry to hear that your stay at i'zaz was not up to your expectations. This was quite surprising for us, since none of our guests have ever complained about smoke or our location before. As can be seen in previous reviews, i'zaz is very popular with its location which has been rated unbeatable by many of our guests.

The Sultanahmet and Beyoglu areas offer very different experiences to their visitors; whether a guest likes them or not depends on their expectations. Sultanahmet is an area that does not have much to offer at night because of the historical sites and mosques in the area. On the other hand, i'zaz is located in the heart of Beyoglu, the SoHo of Istanbul, one of the most colorful urban neighborhoods, with consulates, art galleries, theaters, clubs and restaurants (which some rated the best in Europe) in a short walk. Guests who prefer to stay in Beyoglu can check the historical sites of Sultanahmet during the day time and go out to enjoy the Istanbul night life where they do not have to take a cab back to their hotels, instead just walk for 5 minutes.

Again Sultanahmet is an area that is predominantly filled with tourists so everything is dressed up nicely. Our street and neighborhood in Beyoglu is an authentic slice of Istanbul life, not just a row of hotels; and the vast majority of our guests seek this authentic experience. There are barbers, restaurants, vegetable stands, residences, and butchers on our street. As gruesome as it looked, the stand you mentioned with the goat meat, has been written up by many of the national newspapers as serving the some of the best head meat in the city for the last 15 years; this happens to be a very popular and traditional dish within Turkey.

The room you stayed in is our smallest loft in the whole building and as you mentioned, that was the only one available and is priced accordingly. All of our other lofts are 35 square meters (375 sqft.) which is more than what is offered in most regular hotel rooms in Istanbul. And we are a little bit surprised that we received a 3 star rating for not being a "full-service" place because we clearly advertise that we are not and we do not want to be; that is not the concept of i'zaz. Additionally, we email all our guests regarding the size of the lofts, what is in the lofts and the services we provide, whether included or not included in the price, before they finalize their booking.

At i'zaz we welcome a variety of guests of different backgrounds from all over the world. Some of our guests smoke, some don't. As a way to accommodate everyone fairly we allow smoking on our rooftop open air terrace (5th floor), but no where else. Since you were staying at the first floor and air naturally flows up, we don't think you were getting to smoke smell from the terrace, but maybe from the street via the main door every time somebody walked in.
Unfortunately we cannot stop people from smoking on the street. To be able to be fair to all our guests, we tried to find a median solution and our other guests, even the ones was looking for a strictly non-smoking place, seemed very happy with it.

We really value and appreciate your feedback; definitely have taken your comments sincerely and will pay more attention to the subject from now on.
Thanks for your sincerity.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
AMSTERDAM
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We decided to stay at I'zaz on a friend's recommendation and haven't regretted doing so. It was so stylishly decorated, that a few mornings it was kind of difficult to leave the roof and the smell of the coffee and their home-made pastries(can't remember the name now but sure can remember the taste). We also found the location very convenient to come back and leave stuff and change and relax before having a nice dinner in one of the thousand nice choices in the area, at walking distances to the lofts. We also liked the feeling that you are attended to but at the same time it's like your own house with respectful privacy. It was a little noisy but that was within our expectations since staying in such a lively spot of a city in any country has the same risk and and we thought it to be a natural part of our Istanbul adventure. We recommend it wholeheartedly.

San Francisco
Reviewed 29 April 2009

i'zaz is a beautiful place. It is a small building with only four units (one on each floor) tugged away on a side street one block off of Istiklal caddesi, right in the heart of Beyoglu/Istanbul. My wife and I recently had the good fortune of staying there for 5 nights, and we absolutely loved it. If style and design (and budget) are important to you, and if what you're looking for is a 'home' away from home type of place for a few days while you're in Istanbul, you'd love i'zaz. More than being just beautiful, i'zaz also offers good functionalities (great shower, for example, if that's important to you) and a few conveniences as well. Making and enjoying our own coffee on the rooftop terrace in the morning was a real treat, and being able to do our own laundry in the basement was truly a great convenience for people like us who like to travel light. One of the things I like about i'zaz is their web site which really stands out, get on it and check it out. If you're lucky enough to get one of the units there, do it. And do say hello to Elif for us while there, she was very sweet and really helpful.

Mary and Stephen
San Francisco

1 Thank nazarboncugu
oslo
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Near to the center off city.Friendly staff.Place is very clean and moderne.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
san francisco
Reviewed 18 April 2009

Staying at I'zaz Lofts was a great way to start out trip in Turkey. The room was very attractive, well-designed and spotless. The owners/staff clearly pays attention to detail. We also loved the breakfast (which is optional) on the enclosed roof terrace. Elif (who manages the hotel) was very helpful and Heide was very kind. If you are looking for a 24-hour concierge though, this is not the place-- at night you come and go on your own. We would highly recommend staying at I'zaz.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My husband and I have just returned from five nights in Istanbul where we stayed at the Izaz Apartments, located on Balik Sokak , just off Istiklal Street in Beyoglu. The apartment is small, however well equipped and very comfortable with access to laundry facilities in the basement and a very well equipped kitchen and communal area on the top floor. The location of the apartment is excellent as it is well away from the tourist areas of Sultanahmet and as it is in a residential area is close to a number of very good eating places. Also, there are numerous fishmongers, fruit and vegetable stalls, pastry shops and delis located about 100 metres away on the Balik Sokak. T he only downside of the apartment is that it is extremely noisy with a couple of bars located close by but more particularly a 24hr taxi service immediately across the alley way which has a particular likeness for playing extremely loud Turkish music until 6am in the morning. The apartments do provide ear plugs but on the last night we stayed (Tuesday) even these did not block out the noise of the music which became ever increasingly louder the later it got. Having said that I would stay there again and I would certainly recommend it to couples who are travelling to Istanbul and looking for a self catering option.

1 Thank ContentedTraveller51
Mexico
Reviewed 28 December 2008

We wanted to experience something different than the usual hotel so the loft was a great choice, the place is beautiful and it has all the ammenities you would want in a hotel but it feels like an apartment. The common use kitchen is fully equipped and the view from the terrace is absolutely amazing. Location couldn´t be any better if you want to be in the center of restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. The manager was so helpful and professional and the lady that cooks breakfast was absolutely sweet and treated us wonderfully, on my last day i got a cold and she even made me soup, I´ll never forget our stay there.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank afrodita97