“I dont think it was a good value for money”

Big Apple Hostel & Hotel
Ranked #39 of 1,195 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
“I dont think it was a good value for money”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Friendly helpful staff. Good location in Sultanhamatthe. Breakfast was good, with nice variety, a toster would have been nice to have. I found a long hair in my bed (i swear i was sleeping alone. And im bold). There wasnt a remote control for the aircondition. When i asked for, they told me they will operate the central heating system. But they didn't. I had hard time connecting to thier wifi,but that is likley because of my devices. So they have 3 PCs at the lobby which is great. But, no matter what i did i couldn't get to the English Google and FB interface.

Room Tip: note that there isn't an elevator, and the stairway is steep.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
vancouver washington
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Great location 10 minute easy walk to all the sights.
Great shopping and restaurants within seconds from hostel.
Clean and comfortable our room was simple yet a touch of elegance.
Staff is wonderful... There is a young man who works there not more than 16yrs he is very sweet.
Staff at desk 24 hrs and very very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Morristown, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I recently visited Turkey for 2 weeks and did not plan much for my trip ahead of time. I was torn between whether I wanted to stay in a hostel or hotel, due to the negative connotations sometime placed towards hostels. I eventually came to the conclusion that I would stay in a hostel as I would meet more people than if I had stayed in a hotel.
I searched around for hostels based on ratings and price and photos and eventually came across Big Apple Hostel. I initially only booked 4 nights, just in case I didn’t like the hostel or area or if I just wanted to move around. I ended up booking all two weeks at this hostel and I am so glad I found this place first.
The Hostel is located within walking distance to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, Eqyptian Bazaar, and so many great restaurants. When I checked in the first day I was greeted with a warm smile and someone even helped bring my bags up to my room. I stayed in a room shared with 5 other individuals (only two other people ended up in the room most of the time). Under the bunk beds there was a large locker that fit my suitcase and two carry ons fully. I did not worry one bit about security or safety of my belongings or myself. On the floor I was staying there were two showers and two toilets. (3 rooms total one of them was only a shower). The water ran hot and water pressure was great. I was provided towels and a made bed every day.
All that is fine and dandy, but lets get to the Staff. I can honestly say I have made new friends with each of the staff members that will last a lifetime. Let me start with Savas(sh). This young man helped out in the upstairs area during breakfast and whenever someone wanted a drink or anything else upstairs. (Upstairs is where breakfast is served and alcohol at night, also has an amazing view of the sea). Savas(sh) quickly became a friend of mine as he was always smiling, laughing, making jokes and making everyone feel comfortable. He would remember everyone’s name and always make him or her smile. I would have to say that he became the best part about staying at the Big Apple Hostel.
All of the staff knew the area and could answer any questions you had about Turkey. I.e. where to go, what to do, what times to go etc. The staff at the Big Apple Hostel really does go above and beyond to help you in any way they can. “The customer is always right” attitude is exemplified by the staff here. On Friday we had a pub crawl and we went to the clubs and karaoke bars near Taksim Square and it was a blast.
There is so much more I could write, but I will leave it at that. If you go to Istanbul and you are looking for a place to stay, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not consider staying at the Big Apple Hostel. I would personally recommend it to anyone staying in Istanbul.

1 Thank Bryant V
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The hostel is great. Perfect location, great atmosphere, welcoming and friendly staff, safe, clean and very good mattresses. I had great time and I would stay there again. The breakfast is included in the room rate and it is quite good. Be aware that it is still a hostel, so do not expect a 5 stars HOTEL. It is a very good hostel.

1 Thank Deboradg
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 1 October 2013

best hotel ok ok good good s Located behind SULTANAHMET, Big Apple very well-situated, Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar ,shops are 1-minute walk from it. The room is really cozy, clean and airy.sea view terrace with breaksfast the room is clean . Hotel staff are welcoming and helpful. My stay there was so pleasant

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Staff was great as well!
This is the biggest city I have been to by far, so I took a shuttle from the airport to the hostel. I should have had taken the big apple hostels pickup service. Its a better deal, but I did on the way back and felt good about it.
WIFI everywhere I went in the hostel. Place was clean and I slept well in my bed. Locker underneath with key so you dont have to bring your own.
Free breakfast upstairs where there is a great view of the city on one side and the other you can see the blue mosque.
I would come and stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The staff at the Big Apple hostel were amazing. They were always willing to go the extra mile for us and they always did it with a smile. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were of a high standard. The hostel is located next to a street of restaurants and a number of sites such as the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar. If I ever travel to Istanbul again, I will stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends