“What a great hostel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 1,167 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Paris, France
“What a great hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 days in a 6 bed dorms in Big Apple hostel, and liked every minute of it! Room was clean, bed was comfortable, and even though it was very cold in Istanbul, it was warm and cosy inside. Not to mention the great and generous FREE breakfast ont the scenic terrace, but most of all the kindness of all the staff members, Ilkaï and the others! Thank you!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed here over the summer with a few fellow travelers. We had a bunk bed, a seperate full sized bed, as well as a private bathroom. The hotel has a great location within walking distance of several restaurants, shops, etc. It is located right by Tokapi palace and the Blue Mosque. The rooftop terrace is great for some quite time or to chat with fellow travelers. If you're looking for a good value, definitely consider the Big Apple!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Allan W
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

This is the right place to stay in Istanbul, especially if you are first time in visit! Recepcionists are more than helpful, stuff also, little Sava? is making wonderful breakfast, Ilkay is great person, he will help you with everything you ask.. And it is near everything you need - Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Ayasofia, Kapali.. Everything. Can't wait to come back here again!

1 Thank Katarinast
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Staff was amazing, Redone (sorry if i spelled that wrong) walked us to a restaurant that had some awesome turkish food and hung out with us and played cards. The location couldn't be any better and the rooms are all kept very clean. Also the storage lockers under the beds are a brilliant idea that every hostel should have. Also the breakfast on the roof was a great way to start each day. Thank you for a very rememberable stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Friendly helpful staff. Good location in Sultanhamatthe. Breakfast was good, with nice variety, a toster would have been nice to have. I found a long hair in my bed (i swear i was sleeping alone. And im bold). There wasnt a remote control for the aircondition. When i asked for, they told me they will operate the central heating system. But they didn't. I had hard time connecting to thier wifi,but that is likley because of my devices. So they have 3 PCs at the lobby which is great. But, no matter what i did i couldn't get to the English Google and FB interface.

Room Tip: note that there isn't an elevator, and the stairway is steep.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
vancouver washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Great location 10 minute easy walk to all the sights.
Great shopping and restaurants within seconds from hostel.
Clean and comfortable our room was simple yet a touch of elegance.
Staff is wonderful... There is a young man who works there not more than 16yrs he is very sweet.
Staff at desk 24 hrs and very very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Morristown, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I recently visited Turkey for 2 weeks and did not plan much for my trip ahead of time. I was torn between whether I wanted to stay in a hostel or hotel, due to the negative connotations sometime placed towards hostels. I eventually came to the conclusion that I would stay in a hostel as I would meet more people than if I had stayed in a hotel.
I searched around for hostels based on ratings and price and photos and eventually came across Big Apple Hostel. I initially only booked 4 nights, just in case I didn’t like the hostel or area or if I just wanted to move around. I ended up booking all two weeks at this hostel and I am so glad I found this place first.
The Hostel is located within walking distance to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, Eqyptian Bazaar, and so many great restaurants. When I checked in the first day I was greeted with a warm smile and someone even helped bring my bags up to my room. I stayed in a room shared with 5 other individuals (only two other people ended up in the room most of the time). Under the bunk beds there was a large locker that fit my suitcase and two carry ons fully. I did not worry one bit about security or safety of my belongings or myself. On the floor I was staying there were two showers and two toilets. (3 rooms total one of them was only a shower). The water ran hot and water pressure was great. I was provided towels and a made bed every day.
All that is fine and dandy, but lets get to the Staff. I can honestly say I have made new friends with each of the staff members that will last a lifetime. Let me start with Savas(sh). This young man helped out in the upstairs area during breakfast and whenever someone wanted a drink or anything else upstairs. (Upstairs is where breakfast is served and alcohol at night, also has an amazing view of the sea). Savas(sh) quickly became a friend of mine as he was always smiling, laughing, making jokes and making everyone feel comfortable. He would remember everyone’s name and always make him or her smile. I would have to say that he became the best part about staying at the Big Apple Hostel.
All of the staff knew the area and could answer any questions you had about Turkey. I.e. where to go, what to do, what times to go etc. The staff at the Big Apple Hostel really does go above and beyond to help you in any way they can. “The customer is always right” attitude is exemplified by the staff here. On Friday we had a pub crawl and we went to the clubs and karaoke bars near Taksim Square and it was a blast.
There is so much more I could write, but I will leave it at that. If you go to Istanbul and you are looking for a place to stay, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not consider staying at the Big Apple Hostel. I would personally recommend it to anyone staying in Istanbul.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo