“One of the worst nights of my life...”
Review of Meddusa Hotel

Meddusa Hotel
Ranked #470 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 8 April 2012

It was like something out of a film. Luckily we only had to spend a night there after a mix up with booking our original hotel (The Modern Sultan, much, much better)

The room is a joke, measures about 2 meters by 3 metres, with dilapidated furniture and a general grubby appearance. And the bathroom? It was so small I could sit on the toilet, brush my teeth in the sink and have a shower ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!

It was very noisy, with a main street right outside the building, so plenty of traffic. We could clearly hear people stomping around the hotel until the early ours of the morning. And the lift? Enough room for one person, and no door to the cubicle, so you're seeing bare stone pass 2 inches from your nose.

On the plus side, the terrace was nice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben R

Reviewed 5 April 2012

it was a good location and easy access to all attractions and walking distance from old city of istanbul & easy access also to the local tram.

Room was nice and clean and the staff were very friendly and generous,.. they spoke english which was really helpful and a relief.. after a bad experience @ the airport.

I would like to recommend this hotel to budget travellers especially after the new management took over as I was informed by Mr. Eser Akkoc.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Russell J
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My family and I just got back from Istanbul. It's a beautiful city.. we had so much fun.
The hotel was in a great location, amazing view to the city and it was so easy to go anywhere from there.

People are so friendly and they offered the best service.
Also it came to my attention that the staff were communicating in English with westerns, which made us comfortable to ask for any assistance.

I highly recommend tourists to book in Meddusa Hotel. you wont regret it :)

Special thanks to Mr. Eser Akkoc and his new management team who have been a great help to us.

We will definitely go again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tammi M
Reviewed 4 April 2012

From where to begin, first of all as soon as we arrived the hotel staff were very welcoming to me and my family and I had a long trip with my kids, they took care of everything in just 15 min I was in my room....

As room it was nice and bright clean and smelling good. But for us the most important thing for me was the location which it was close to all the attraction places in Istanbul only walking distance from every where actually ..

The thing I knew that they have new management that they r doing there bet to decrease all the issues that they have before and I see it working I guess , all of them speaks English and very friendly specially Mr. Esser akkoc he was really nice

Bottom line its worth the money and for these reasons location location and location :-). Plus the friendly new management that they have now . I highly recommend it for all the travellers

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Demmo81
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We spent one night at this hotel and fled. We arrived on a late flight into Istanbul and arrived at the hotel after midnight and extremely tired. The staff was friendly but the room was hell. Instead of a window, we for nd a large steel firedoor behind a curtain. The toilet wasn't bolted down to the floor, so the seal didn't hold and dirty water would run out onto the bath room floor whenever we flushed. The drain in the all-in-one shower didn't work well so the water level would quickly rise over the half centimeter door sill and flow into the bedroom. Had we not been so tired,we would have checked out immediately, but hung on for a night. As soon as the sun rose I ran to the Erboy hotel and secured a new room there.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank jlaroche
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Eventough I asked for a non smoking room when we entered the room you could feel the smoke all over the sheets, curtains and pillows. there is no non smoker room i guess. even the common areas are smelly. the stuff smoke for 24 hours. cleanliness is an other issue. cant tell it was clean at all. breakfast was ok. actually it was more than I expected.location is a bit over the hill so u need to climb.rooms are tiny and shower is not well covered so water comes inside of the room. stuff is ok but cant speak english. in general if u r going to such a place u dont expect much. it could be a bit cleaner but its fine. ok for value of money u give.

Room Tip: if you get a room on the third floor the breakfast is just on the top floor so in the morning u may...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

To premise this review I would like to say that my friend and I have extensively travelled the world on a right budget being early twenty year old students but even for the low price and good location we won't be back. As other reviewers have said the staff don't really speak English which although isn't their fault it is expected in order to own a "hotel". The breakfast also isn't flash but hey we still didn't really mind it was cheap an we are young! However the elevator is literally the size of a shoebox and hideously unsafe with NO DOOR! again we breathed in and relaxed and thought it's not that bad. The rooms are tiny, if one person wants to walk around the room the other must sit on the bed, literally as one reviewer said 2m by 2m. Again I thought it's cheap. It got worse, they only occasionally make up the rooms, we had it done once in 5 days, by day three we had no towels and no TOILET PAPER! trying to secure some required a complex and rather R18 version of charades due to the language barrier. But it got worse, they spend every night renovating until at least one am, jack hammers and nail guns on the floor we were on. To be honest I could go on all day, the truth is we are young and cheap and don't mind most things but the basics are missing here and the uneasy stares in the lobby even creeped me out a 24yr old guy. There are 3 nice places 100m away for exactly the same price, under 30 euro a night for two people. STAY THERE! this place is just not worth the stress and turmoil.

• Stayed: November 2011