“Hospitality, comfort and convenience in Sultanahmet”

Villa Sphendone Suites
Ranked #721 of 1,103 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 February 2010

From the moment you arrive, Deniz makes you feel part of the family, introducing you to Istanbul with a cup of tea, his DVD and latest photos of the city and his family.Nothing is too much trouble for him or his staff and one often feels they have thought of your needs even before you have thought of them yourselves. His umbrellas were particularly useful in the rain and snow and the comfortable, spacious well kitted rooms were warm and cosy. The suites are just a short walk from good restaurants, the Hippodrome, Cisterns, the Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia. I wouldn't miss any of them and I would also recommend following Deniz's advice on the trip on the Bosphorous and the return by bus. Istanbul? OK, you get a little hassle but it is always wondrous, sometimes stunning and one never feels unsafe.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 January 2010

I travelled with my wife to Istanbul just before snow. We were lucky with weather. We had from + 10 C to + 19 C and also nice sunshine. Our own coutry durin the same time was - 19 C and very snowy. One week was good time to see Istanbul wonders and very good food specialy in Beyoğlu area. Meze is our choice, very healty and delicious. We stayed in Topkapi Suite in our trip and room was nice and tidy every day. Chief office Deniz and family were very helpful and what a omelet was made by lady of the house. We'll be back !

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darbuka
Reviewed 2 December 2009

When we arrived, I was a little sceptical. I expected more - from the outside. That is till I met Deniz and got to the inside. What a place.

I have not only found a great holiday spot, but a lifelong friend !

I have travelled many continents and lived in many 5 star star hotels. We decided to experience Istanbul the Turkish way. I fell in love with the country, the people and their hospitality. And Deniz made capped it all !

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank 2009_p_d
Reviewed 2 December 2009

With only four gorgeous rooms the Villa Sphendone is comfortable, quiet and friendly, the staff are very helpful. The highlight for us was the room, large, comfortable, sumptuously furnished. The hotel is in a quiet location, but is only a short walk from the Blue Mosque in the heart of the old city. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Villa Sphendone is located in the old city centre. Small historic streets with all major attractions on walking distance. Fantastic atmospere of an historic city with a lot of stories to tell.
The owner of Villa SPhendone is very proud of his city and country and likes to talk about it. Service was, in one word: great! Breakfast is served all day and in your room if you wish so.
Excellent. The Topkapi room has a nice jacuzzi!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I love, love, love Villa Sphendone and I'll admit I am the pickiest of travelers. With only four rooms the personalized service was impeccable. Both Deniz, the owner, and Mesut who works in the office, made my stay one to remember. You'll never need a tour guide in Istanbul after the amazing history lesson Deniz gives. In fact there was so many interesting things that I didn't get to see during my short stay that I am planning another vacation to Turkey and you can be sure I will be staying at Villa Sphendone.

The rooms are fantastic as well. Decorated in an opulant Ottoman fashion with antiques and art they somehow still manage to have a cozy, homey feeling. The room that I stayed in for four nights was very spacious. Even though I had been traveling in close quarters with my mother for over a month there was enough space in this room that I didn't want to kill her.

Location, location, location! Just a few minutes walk from the heart of historical Istanbul and if you want to venture to the Bosphorus or Taxim you can grab a tram just as easily. Even though Villa Sphendone is so close in proximity to the busy city center the location of the hotel on a small side street lends itself to quiet serenity. Villa Sphendone is located in a building that has been painstakingly restored by Deniz and brought back to life with charm and character.

If you are the type of traveler that likes to stay at large chain hotels where you are just another guest passing through, then this is not the place for you. However if you like to stay in amazing boutique hotels where people greet you every day by name and are interested in you as a traveler and can't wait to help point you in the direction of an extremely memorable vacation then I suggest you look no further and book you stay now.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I stayed at the Villa Sphendone suites in early November 2008. The property bills itself as a boutique and that's what it is. A very nicely renovated traditional house that now has a number of well furnished suites and rooms. The proprieter Deniz was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction to see things around town and also helping me get a flight to Kayseri and a tour of Cappadoccia including transportation to the airport.

Deniz also spent time talking to me about Turkey and it's history and provided a great overview of the country and it's history over a couple cups of tea.

If you're interested in seeing and staying in a traditional turkish home with friendly service and an interested owner who wants to share his knowledge of his country, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo