“Amazing, polished, and refined service”

Park Hyatt Istanbul - Macka Palas
Ranked #39 of 1,181 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 15 August 2013

During a four day stay with family I would have to say this is likely the most refined service I've ever experienced at a hotel. Though not a frequent Istanbul visitor, I have stayed at the Hilton and Ritz previously--the Park Hyatt has them beat hands down. Every employee was incredibly kind and professional--it's a five star hotel without the five star snootiness that is found at other hotels of this caliber. I was assigned a spa suite, as a Hyatt Diamond, and it was absolutely amazing. If you have the budget, or the points, I would most definately make this your hotel of choice in Istanbul. One gentleman, I believe his name was Ehmre, truly made us feel like we had a British butler working for us! Can't say enough good things at the Park Hyatt Istabul--it doesn't get any better for a city hotel. The neighborhood is very safe and highly walkable and has a multitude of every kind of restaurant within a five minute walk--very high end. The "Old City" is about 20 minutes away in a taxi, or consider using the Tram. It may seem like you're away from the action, but this is most definately a preferred location instead of actually staying in the old city, where it's loud, somewhat directly and very crowded--leave that for the daytime exploring.

Room Tip: Spa suite rooms are amazing
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights and overall it was nice.

Checked in perfectly, the room is spacious and luxurious with a personal steamroom. The room style is a vintage Turkish room style.

The concierge lady is really great. Sorry i forgot her name but she did a really great job.

Tried to eat at The Prime restaurant. The food was excellent but nobody was eating there.

Location is perfect for shopping. Just go out and walk in the neighborhood and you will find ll the branded shops.
If you are looking for hotels near to the historical sites, this is not the one. We did a perfect hotels combination as we stayed at the hotel near to Taksim before, and then we chose to stay here after exploring Turkey.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in late June during the riots. The location is up a hill in a rather posh neighbourhood, tucked away in an alley thats not the easiest place to find so you may have to direct your taxi driver. Park Hyatts seem to be small and discreet, so if you want beautiful architecture best to stay at the Kempinski or Four Seasons.

The common areas were very zen, modern minimalist type furnishings, but Im no interior designer. Still nice, but a little cold and bland. The room (deluxe from memory) was nice, spacious, especially the bathroom which has a large open plan shower and bathub. Theres a filtered tap for drinking water and free wifi. Big comfy bed and wooden floors. No fruit, chocolates or amenity of any kind which was a little disappointing, although I did see a trolley full of tasty treats being delivered to other rooms so if you have status with Hyatt you might get lucky. As the hotel is perhaps 10 storeys tall and surrounded by other taller buildings there were awesome views of office and apartment blocks. There are some nice cafes and shops around the corner and a public taxi stand. Theres an ATM about 20m away and a gelato shop that looked kinda popular opposite the hotel.

The pool was tiny and looked like an afterthought, the gym likewise was pretty small, but then there didnt seem to be many folks using the facilities, although the hotel was almost deserted due to the civil unrest.

An unremarkable property, ticks all the boxes for facilities and comfort but lacks soul and seemed really generic. Its also quite expensive and Im not sure you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The entrance to the Park Hyatt is very non description and one wonders if there is a hotel here at all. However, this is one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in with a huge bathroom, walk in shores, sauna and separate tub. I have had hotel rooms which re smaller than this bathroom! Great location near many of the local sites and situated in a quiet district with numerous restaurants nearby. While not as well situated as the Four Seasons, the difference in price, and very large rooms make up for the difference in spades. This is a better couples hotel as it has few activities for smaller children.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here many times on business. Love the rooms as they are generously sized, quiet and well decorated/appointed. Staff is very friendly, though not always very efficient. Breakfast is good but too expensive. Location in hip chic Nisantasi has its advantages. Roof top restaurant/bar and pool attractive, though without any phantastic views.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank marrakech12
Gulcin K, Guest Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Istanbul - Macka Palas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear marrakech12,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
We are happy to see that you enjoy your stays with us.
We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

All right. I hated -- hated -- the hotel I booked, which will not be named, because they were cool enough to let me cancel late. Which left me without a place to stay during my time in Istanbul. I had a spare 15,000 points lying around and I was fortunate to be able to book a night at the Park Hyatt the afternoon of my arrival (it was Ramadan). I totally lucked out...

LOCATION
- Located in an upscale shopping neighborhood. Safe, with plenty of nice, outdoor restaurants nearby
- It's not really walkable to Sultanahmet, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Taxis are cheap and plentiful in Istanbul. Who cares if it's 10 minutes and $7 or 15 minutes and $10?

COMMON AREAS
- Austere. No public place where I would feel comfortable relaxing

SERVICE
- The front desk agent who checked me in was friendly and efficient. The agent the following morning -- well, she was quite a bit less friendly
- A complimentary bottle of wine was delivered to my room
- I was also gifted with a fruit basket
- I was upgraded to a suite (in full disclosure, I'm Platinum, which isn't difficult with Hyatt if you sign-up for the right credit card)

GUEST ROOMS
- Loved, loved, loved my suite! Antique charm (moldings, rounded doorways, black and white photos, wood floors) paired with modern luxuries (halogen lights, glass tiles, hi-tech, stainless steel furnishings). Perfection
- A free-standing tub and, better yet. a steam room shower. Yes, a steam room
- Designer glassware
- 36"? 40"? Flatscreen tv in the bedroom, another screen built into the bathroom. Not that I watched tv
- Quality bath products
- iPod player
- Two, floor to ceiling windows that open up to a view of the Bosphorus and First Bosphorus Bridge. Wonderful!
- "Control panel" that accepts U.S. electronics
- Free-standing bar (stocked to the hilt)
- Filtered water on tap
- Huge space
- Complimentary wi-fi

VALUE
- Great. 15,000 points

I plan my vacations in agonizing detail but sometimes it's best to go with your gut. I'm so glad I switched to the Park Hyatt, my only regret being that I had only enough points for one night. Istanbul is an amazing city but I could have been happy never leaving my suite at the Park Hyatt.

Thank you, Hyatt!

Room Tip: I felt pretty fortunate with my street view room on the sixth floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear Esme_Travels,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback.
We are happy to see that your stay with us exceeded your expectations and made a memorable experience of our city too.
We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I travel the globe and stay in many hotels but never did I experience such gulag style service. Was it the metal detector at the entrance (ok, nice touch) or the concierge too busy searching Google images to say "Hello,how was that $1000 tour I arranged for you yesterday?" Its Ramadan, I am one of 10 guests in the hotel, mind you. The front desk staff tries like the devil to smile but it just doesn't happen. I was an hour late with my laundry,cotton trousers and shirt. I pleaded for mercy for same day service at a mere $17 for two pieces but no, "Tomorrow at 11', she barked" or it's$35(USD) for Express service". I pushed my soiled clothes back into the bag and sheepishly made my way back to the elevator. I dropped a heck of a lot of money on cool stuff in Istanbul but nobody gets $35 for washing and pressing trousers from H&M. Yesterday, I made the deadline and my clothes were back in my closet in 3 hours, mind you the place is EMPTY.

Spa Room, super excellent and worth it. The place is about 93% on the decorating/new feel side. It wouldn't take much to get the score up, could use an updating here and there. The corridors with the striped wallpaper, formerly hip empire chairs and giant sea urchin lamps are so so very 7 years ago.

Summary, nice property but needs a million $ to bring it back, staff needs a combination of therapy and mild anti-depressants along with a visible manager from somewhere joyful... It was like the kids were left home alone heads down - busy with smartphones and Facebook. Be visible, teach them to bend the rules a bit to make a guest happy, find a way, especially when the hotel is empty!

Next time? Probably not here.

Room Tip: Spa room is great.. soothing music, light therapy, steam room, shower and Hammam style bowl.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Continent_Hopper1

Dear Continent_Hopper1,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry to hear that we could not meet your expectations during your stay.
We hope that we will have another chance to welcome you back in the future.