“Total crap. Avoid if you can!”
Review of Hurriyet Hotel

Hurriyet Hotel
Ranked #100 of 1,087 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We had booked a family room for 4, they couldn't find our reservation. So we ended up in 2 separate tiny rooms. The floor wasn't mopped, there were footprints and hair. The pillows are ancient and probably carry ancient bugs in them.

The tiny bathroom wasn't clean, the toilet wasn't clean, even though it had a sanitized wrap around. When I approached the concierge, he just shrugged me off and informed me that the cleaning ladies had left already and tomorrow, tomorrow.

I am so disgusted and dissatisfied. This is not my first trip to Istanbul, there are nicer places!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Julia S

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The location is very good, walking distance to most of the tourist attraction in istanbul like Bosphorus and golden horn river, mosque and to the grand bazzar. 5 minutes walk to serkesi train station. I like the mini buffet, great selection of my favorite breakfast food on the rooftop of the hotel with the view of the river and the unbelievable parking lot downstair.the room is clean, toilet is small. Good for solo or two cowboy traveller.

Room Tip: Easy Accessible to most of the tourist distanation by wal or by train.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank abroadero
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Spent two nights at this hotel recently on my first visit to Istanbul. Choose it simply for its location and to be fair it is close to some of the main sightseeing points but in terms of accommodation it was terrible.

From start to finish the staff was horrible to deal with, maybe this had something to do with me being a female travelling alone but I have a feeling this is how they are in general. It took several emails before I could book a pick up from the airport to the hotel, which they were charging €25 for. As I was getting in close to midnight and did not know the city I felt this was the fastest and safest option. I waiting at the arrivals for 15mins with my bags walking up and down in search of a sign with my name on it but eventually another driver asked me if I need a taxi and I took his offer which cost considerably less. Got to the hotel,checked in and brought to my room. The light didn't in the room or the bathroom so ended up using a lamp over the bed. There was a disgusting from the bathroom. This smell lasted for the duration of my stay. I was on the fourth floor which was underneath the dining balcony and all that separates the two is an open staircase. The air conditioning didn't work so I found it difficult to sleep in this tiny hot room and when I say tiny I mean tiny. I didnt shower during my time there as the bathroom was too disgusting.The noise from staff/house keeping started around 5am and continued all morning, exhausted I gave up on sleep and got up. This meant that after a few hours of sight seeing I was wrecked and ended up cutting my first day short to come back for a nap..really disappointing. I mentioned the noise at reception on my way out that morning but it was met with a shrug and a sarcastic note that this was a hotel and what did I expect. this was the attitude I received from staff thought my two nite stay...eventually I stopped conversing with them. Breakfast was on a roof top balcony which was a breath of fresh air but between taller building and wire cables it is not much of a view. The breakfast it self was poor with no cereal or fresh fruit, just excessive amount of biscuits and breads.
On checking out I was given a bill which included the €25 airport transfer that never showed up, when I explained this I was met with apparent disbelief and confusion, it was argued that the driver was there and when I said I waited for 15mins I was told this was not long enough...really these lads need a lesson in customer service, I paid my room down to the cent only and at that they was still robbing me for what I got...please do not give these people your time and money as it really cast a dark cloud on an otherwise much enjoyable visit to a great city

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Siobhan N
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Good place.. near to bosphurs and near to tram and underground mertro whuch have direct station to Yenikapi.

But bad things was they gave me small room 3*3 then second day they changed to bigger room

Overall hotel is good and economic. Price

Room Tip: Good place.. near to bosphurs and near to tram and underground mertro whuch have direct station to Y...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Our first stop on a European budget tour, so the price suited us, although the room was VERY small, & not a bit like the picture that we'd seen! next morning we went to the breakfast room & discovered the other side of the B&B was much better!! as we were staying 4 nights we asked to change rooms, & they were very helpful & pleasant about it, giving us a room on the other side, which was much better. The breakfast was plentiful & staff friendly, as I say, you get what you pay for & we were happy with our new room, situation is great for all attractions in the old town, & most places within walking distance. would stay there again, just don't expect luxury! on our departure I was presented with a necklace by the managers, which I thought was a nice gesture.

Room Tip: If you get on the wrong side of the hotel, (left side, stairs straight in front of you) ask to be mo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If you're looking for fancy luxury accommodations, this obviously isn't the place. But it's situated in a nice part of Istanbul near the Bosphorus, and also close to nearly all forms of public transit.

Rooms were small but clean. Breakfast every morning on the top floor was delicious and lovely. We loved the people working there the most, as they were all so friendly and chatty, and extremely helpful whenever we needed any advice on navigating the city, or wanted random items, i.e. nail clipper, scissors, or hair dryer.

Before leaving, the manager even provided us with small Istanbul key-chains as souvenirs. Of course it's not an expensive gift, but the gesture and thoughtfulness were very moving. We've traveled quite a bit abroad, and stayed at many wonderful places, but this was the only time we've encountered this. Many thanks!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kalyie
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I spent a lot of time looking at hotels in Istanbul before i made my trip and now that i have returned, i can say flatly "you're better off avoiding the hurriyet hotel".

Here's how it went for me, I had seen all the reviews that point out the dual-nature of this hotel (and they're correct -- its actually two separate buildings with two separate access staircases. They knocked through the wall at the ground level to create the lobby, but beyond that they are two different places.) For price & location, i had been considering the hurriyet hotel, but was afraid to book through a website because there would be no guarantee as to which part of the hotel you would end up in. So, i thought i would be smart, i emailed the hotel directly to make my booking. They made the booking easily, i agreed to pay cash (40 euros/night) and had to ask several times for them to guarantee that i would be in the 'new' part of the hotel. Finally, they said yes, you will be in the new part of the hotel.

Well, long story short, i arrived to find out that my booking was for 2 nights in the new part, but my 3rd night was to be in the old section. So much for nailing these guys down. I was exhausted when i arrived, so i didn't put up much of a fight and agreed to that arrangement. However, the fact that they were willing to lie about the reservation (and the staff are a pretty oily bunch at this hotel) makes it impossible for me to recommend them to other travellers. In that section of old istanbul, behind the sirkeci train station, there are hundreds of hotels and you should be able to do just as well, if not better for the same or slightly more money. Now, having stayed in both parts of the hotel, i will give my review of the facilities.

For my first two nights i was in the 'new' part of the hotel. That part is reached by turning right as soon as you enter the front door, crossing the lobby and going up some steps to the elevator. (no elevator in the old part of the hotel). The breakfast room/terrace is also on this side of the hotel. My room was #408, on the floor just beneath the terrace and looking out the back from the hotel. Not a bad view of the sirkeci train station and environs, actually. The room itself was small and basically furnished, but acceptable. Comically, not a single door or window in that room could open fully -- the room door would hit the night table, the bathroom door would hit the mini-radiator in the bathroom, the room window would open about 12" before it hit the wardrobe. The bathroom window was off its track, just leaning there in its frame and could not be moved at all. The bathroom was small, a little grubby, but at least it did have an enclosed shower stall. The one nicer than average thing about this particular room was that the window did open onto the metal spiral fire escape staircase outside. So, while no rooms in this hotel have a balcony, i was able to squeeze through the 12" opening and get out onto the fire escape and use that as a quasi-balcony. And, i laugh to think, if ever there was a fire, a fat person in that room would be trapped!

One last thing about this room - each morning there I noticed several fat mosquitos hanging about. Heavy with my blood, they were waiting for their chance to escape the room. I took great pleasure in hunting each and every one of them down. You may prefer to keep the window closed, but at this time of year (early September) the temperatures were pleasant and there was a pleasant sea breeze -- so I kept the windows open and punished the little buggers in the morning. :)

The breakfast room/terrace is accessible to guests at all hours (and has a great, strong wifi signal too) and its a quiet place to sit in the evening, watching the busy traffic on the bosporus and the light show on the bosporus bridge. Breakfast itself is a basic affair with all the turkish standards, it does seem that one 'entree' a day changes. My second day there, it was turkish hot dogs (kinda weird, but hey, its protein!). A big plus for any hotel is a fancy coffee machine and they had one -- push a button for great filter coffee in an instant. Oh, one other thing thats important to note about the elevator -- it stops on the second floor, so you still have one flight of stairs to go down to the lobby, but what is scary is that the elevator opens out directly onto 4-5 steps and the top one is tiny. If you're not careful, you could easily fall headlong exiting the elevator. (safety codes? who needs steenkin' safety codes.)

Now, the last night was spent in the old part of the hotel. The staff moved my bags for me while i was out during the day and thank goodness they did. I was put on the 4th (top floor) and there is no elevator. The old part of the hotel is reached by the staircase that is directly ahead of you as you enter the hotel. The steps are spiral, narrow, and there is the odd dip/depression in the floor under the carpet, so please watch your step if you end up on this side of the hotel. Oh, and one more thing that applies to both parts of the hotel -- motion detector hallway lights with a 10 second duration! I'm not kidding, 10 seconds. Many hotels use the motion detectors now to save on energy, but i've never seen them with such a short duration and more often than not, you end up in the dark! On the stairs, if you are not going full speed up or down, you will end up in the dark before you're halfway to the next floor. Even just crossing the (small) landing to your room, you will end up in the dark if you don't have your key out and insert it correctly on the first try. This effect is worst when you are descending at night and also exiting the elevator onto those funky steps. Now, my actual room in the old part was not all that different from my first room (except here the doors & windows did all close properly). It's a small, basically furnished room. The window faced the street. But the bathroom, oh my. Thats the kicker. And its the #1 reason to avoid the hurriyet (besides the lying staff). Its no bigger than a closet, with a small sink, toilet and handheld showerhead. No shower stall, just a hole in the floor for drainage, and so little space you essentially have to sit on the toilet to take a shower. The tap in the sink is only on/off and only supplies cold water. I suspect that when it was originally built, the bathroom contained a pit toilet (still common in turkey) and with that you would have been able to take a somewhat normal shower in the room. Putting a western-style toilet in there leads to the nightmare that exists now. I managed to shower there when i had too, and i would advise all fellow travellers to avoid this hotel for fear of that experience.

Finally, i will say that that neighborhood is perfectly situated for all the big sites in old-istanbul. Its a liesurely 10 minute walk to the Agia Sophia and Blue Mosque. Topkapi is also right there. The Bazaar is 15 minutes walk in the other direction and frankly, all the streets around there are crammed with little tourist shops and interesting stuff to see. Also, the galata bridge is right there, with a nice little bosporus-front walk and the bosporus tour boats. If you only have a short time in instanbul and want to see the big sites (like me), this area is the place to stay.

Just to reiterate - I would skip this place unless you know a foolproof way to guarantee a room in the new part of the hotel. I tried my best, but the staff lied to my face. Tons of hotels in the same neighborhood & price range. You can see from the reviews here that there are plenty of very good/excellent ratings and plenty of average/poor/terrible ratings -- what you can be sure of is that the very good/excellent reviews were for the new part and the rest for the old part.

My poor rating is based not just on the rooms, but also on the fact that the staff lied about the reservation - about the 1 detail I requested again and again from them via email before I committed. That's unacceptable at ANY hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo