“I would have given them 6 starts if I could”
Review of Osmanhan Hotel

Osmanhan Hotel
Ranked #6 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The week we spent at this hotel was terrific. It was calm, the people were friendly. The second they picked us up from the airport on our experience was great. Mr. Fatih, who works with the hotel, was incredibly nice and polite. My wife and I felt like we knew him for years. The room was cozy and elegant. The view was amazing, looking over the sea. Everything was spectacularly clean and the food was superb. We loved the Turkish style gourmet breakfast! The two people who serve breakfast on the terrace are amazing. You won't forget them.

If I ever have the privilege of visiting Istanbul again, I'd never hesitate to stay here again.

- Ziad and Najua from Washington DC

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank ziad e

Reviewed 20 April 2012

We booked this hotel for a 4 day trip to Istanbul on the recommendation of friends and it fully lived up to their recommendation and to the reviews on TA. Communication was excellent from before we arrived with prompt and helpful replies to e-mails. Fatih was very helpful throughout our stay as well. This is a small but definitely not cramped hotel. The room and ensuite shower room were both of a good size, but don't expect the acres of space in the chain hotels. This is an entirely different experience and the building is typical of those in the old town (Sultanamet area) The photos on the hotel website give an accurate flavour of the rooms and the standard of fittings is very good - comfortable bed, excellent shower, double-glazed windows.
The breakfast served on the roof terrace was a generous buffet with local cheeses, olives and homemade fried pastries as well as the usual muesli, fruit etc. When they found out that I was vegetarian, Hamid asked his wife to make pastries for me with only cheese and leek, leaving out the usual salami. There are views from the roof terrace of the tops of the minarets of the Blue Mosque, in one direction, and over the Sea of Marmara in the other. Everyone was helpful and friendly and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Unless you have problems with stairs, it is good to be higher up as the streets nearby can be a litt...
4  Thank SJ49-London
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My family loved the Osmanhan. The location in Sultanhmet can't be beat. The roof terrace has a lovely view out to the Sea of Marmara. The staff is friendly, helpful and proud of providing a high level if hospitality. I loved some of the homemade items they served at breakfast that were delicious and which the staff took obvious delight in my delight. In terms of value, the Osmanhan is easily a five-star. Potential guests should know that the hotel does not have an elevator (which the staff pointed out to me even before I'd booked the reservation). I only saw our room (41) - it was nicely furnished, impeccably clean, not large, but adequate. It was very quiet for sleeping. I don't know if there were mosques close by, but we never heard the early call to prayer which we heard in other places we stayed in Turkey. If you want super modern or ultra-luxe, the Osmanhan is not for you, but if you are looking for a wonderful local feel with all the pluses I've described, the Osmanhan is great.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We absolutely loved everything in this hotel: from the simple yet great quality of the furniture, the rooms, the service. The breakfast on the roof terrace in particular was absolutely charming.
We were very well received by Fatih at the reception, and by the staff serving breakfast.
I have absolutely no complaint. I am not surprised the hotel is so positively reviewed.
It offers exactly what it promises, is very clean, very well located, has a charming entrance and reception area. I would recommend it in a heartbeat

3  Thank msnimer
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We only stayed one night at the Osmanhan Hotel, but would have loved to have made it much longer. This hotel is an excellent combination of a great central location in Sultanahmet (within easy walking distance to many main attractions), friendly service/advice, quality accommodations, and ambiance, including nice views from the rooftop dining area. Fatih at the front desk was gracious from the outset, greeting us upon our late arrival. He answered all of our questions and provided service that was beyond what is typically expected for a good hotel. Osmanhan Hotel appears recently updated with tile, natural stone, and wood embellishments. Our room had thick dual pane windows and from our location up several floors from the main street below traffic, noise was not a problem at all. The breakfast offered a generous assortment, including some unique Turkish "delights" (not the candy). Our favorite novelty was the "Rose Jam". We were told this was a special homemade concoction. It tasted as wonderful as roses smell. Considering everything, it's hard to imagine not recommending this hotel.

3  Thank Davill
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My friend and I stayed in a room on the 1/F (2/F to Americans) 7-10th April for 3 nights. The car pick up from the airport was very smooth. We saw a sign with our name as soon as we came through the doors and were taken to our car immediately which was waiting for us a short walk away. On arrival, we were very warmly greeted by Vefa (I think) and given all the relevant information regarding our stay before being taken to our room. We are wine fans and often travel with our own wine and Champagne. The hotel has a great rooftop terrace with views across the city, the Bosphorus and the top of the Blue Mosque, where we could sit and chill with a bottle every evening before going out for dinner. The hotel is perfectly happy for you to bring your own drinks and will provide you with glasses, corkscrew and snacks. One night we saw a couple on the terrace who had got a takeaway from somewhere, and was having a full private dinner by themselves. The hotel is a short walk away from all the main sights and the Grand Bazaar which we spent a lot of time and money at! It is also close to the restaurant street on which we ate every night. It was great to be able to finish a bottle on the rooftop of the hotel, walk to the restaurant within a few minutes and have our meal, then walk back to the hotel after another bottle or two! The breakfast is great quality - everything is fresh and delicious. Every morning there were 2 different kinds of fresh fruit juice, freshly baked items, at least a couple of cooked dishes, a daily changing sweet desert (for example, a cake baked by the owner himself), eggs, a selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, dried fruits, cheeses, olives, breads and cereals. The variety is huge and they make sure that every day they change at least a few things so that you don't get bored. The owner Hamit was at breakfast every morning to give us advice on what to do that day and urge us to eat more. It was like staying at a friend's home, and I loved the cozy friendly atmosphere. Fatih was also great at giving us advice about the city and answering any questions we had - his English is excellent and he is mega friendly (and cute). The cleanliness of all parts of the hotel and our room was outstanding. I am a clean freak to the point of being neurotic, so this coming from me is truly significant. The room is nicely appointed, the bathroom is modern, new and well equipped. There are coffee and tea in the room, a fridge and LCD TV and a powerful aircon. Despite not being on a high floor, we did not have any problems with noise. Basically, there is nothing to fault. On our final day, our car to the airport was 13.30, an hour and a half after the official check out time. We had to vacate our room because the next guest was arriving at noon, but the hotel moved our bags to the room on the G/F and let us use that room until the time we left. We really appreciated that gesture. If I return to Istanbul (very likely) I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank MissElizaBennet
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Our stay was for 3 nights in the last week of March 2012 in the room on the second floor. Based on the reviews from Trip Advisor and the location of Osmanhan, we used the Osmanhan website to book our room. I followed up with the staff via email to discuss the airport transfers and found their communication to be quick and clear. We were met at the airport by a driver assigned by Osmanhan. Upon arrival at Osmanhan, we were greeted warmly by Fatih. He assisted us through the check-in and took us to our room.

We stayed at other locations in Turkey over the following two weeks, so I can say with confidence that the room we had at Osmanhan was a great size for two people. We had plenty of room for our luggage and in the bathroom.

Throughout our stay, we would ask Fatih for recommendations for local fare or less "touristic traps" and he would always send us to a great find. In fact, after we would go and read the reviews of the restaurants later, they were glowing as well, so Fatih knows his recommendations well. Mehmet was the primary person we saw during our rooftop terrace breakfast and he was very friendly.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The street noise is comparable to other hotels in the area but the one complaint we had was on one night, being that the front desk was directly below our room, we heard some noise until late into the evening. Overall, the location and hospitality of this hotel makes it quite a gem.

Room Tip: Due to street noise, it is probably best to pick a room higher up in the building.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple