“Feeling like being home”
Review of Mystic Hotel

and 1 more site!
Mystic Hotel
Ranked #697 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Mystic Hotel is a nice family hotel, where you feel welcomed. There is a good atmosphere at the hotel and the owner, Mr. Oktay, was very nice and courteous. The rooms are very tidy and clean, so was the bathroom. Although it's very close to the touristik area Sultanahmet, it was in a quite destrict. If you are looking for a place where you have a touch of home than Mystic hotel is the best choice.

3  Thank sm__travel123

Reviewed 17 October 2012

we had booked in another hotel but they said if we agreed to transfer us to a better hotel nearby. the location is really good. in a few minutes you are at sulltan ahmed center.
i usually book 3 star hotels and all i need for a hotel is to be clean and good beds to sleep because i spend all the day around the city so luxury is not my demand but this hotel has not even the minimal standards.
the bathroom was not so clean and the i guess they didn't put much effort in cleaning during the 2 days of our stay . the singel bad was very uncomfortable with an old mattress.
the breakfast really really poor. No juice, no milk, some fruits not fresh at all. second day no water at all so that you could buy it from the frig.
and a lot of dust in the terrace.
the tv first day was working and the second day not.
i certanly want come back to that hotel

2  Thank adriTirana_Albania
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Mystic Hotel is a family hotel! It's a nice, small hotel in a very good spot, with a real good price runned by a great family I get to know during my stay.
Everything is just on the corner and the hotel boss is always helping with information and caring about his guests! He even took his time to show me around and give me further information about everything.
We had breakfast every day even until almost noon. Off course from time to time new tea must be boiled, so no matter what and when we asked for, the boss always helped and cared.
For those who complained here: Pls if u wanted a 4 star hotel directly go to a 4 star hotel!
We had all the best we needed for this small price with the best location and great hospitality!
I will miss that hotel and that family inside and for sure I will go there again!

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Best place to stay in Sultanamet´s area. Nice and clean rooms with superb view of the marmara sea. Location is 5 min walk to the Blue Mosque, AyaSofia and all you can see in this neighbourhood.. The staff were charming and extremely helpful. We have no words to thank them all for a truly helpful stay. Every place to go or restaurants they recommend us were what we were looking for. If you want to feel confortable and relax... this is your hotel! We would definitly recommend this hotel to a friend or stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Murat S
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stayed at the Mystic Hotel in late September when Istanbul and the historic Sultanahmet was at its best: warm, sunny days and cool nights filled with marvelous history and architecture at every turn.

Unfortunately, my introduction to the city was pretty terrible thanks to the Mystic Hotel.

I had booked a single view room with a late check-in (my flight landed at 11 pm) only to be put in a street-facing room with 4 single beds crammed into a room meant for 2 beds maximum. When I asked for a different room, I was shown one on the top floor with a ceiling so low and sloping that it was impossible to stand upright. I was told the hotel was booked besides these two rooms and that I had no other option.

I stayed the first night in the room with 4 beds that's impossible to walk around because all the space is taken up with extra beds. It was also impossible to have a bedside table or reading lamp so I was left to use the single glaring overhead fluorescent light or my headlamp in bed. Other charms: the bedspreads and decorative pillows were made of a synthetic fabric I was afraid to touch. There were some coordinating curtains in similar synthetics that photograph okay by daylight in the hotel's website but lose all charm under the fluorescents at night. I also discovered a monstrous yellow stain on the mattress pad below the scratchy sheets. No chair in the room or place to put your toiletry bad in the bathroom either. Unrelated to this particular room, I should mention that the staircase is a death wish: steep, narrow, no railing and auto lights come on after you're halfway up or down.

The next morning, I had breakfast on the terrace directly behind the rather sad reception/lobby area. While billed to have Bosphorus views, I would say the views were partial at best. The breakfast spread, while traditional, was also very disappointing especially now that I have experienced such wonderful hospitality elsewhere in Istanbul and across the country. There were the standards like bread, butter, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, hardboiled eggs, olives, jam, honey, tea and powdered coffee, but there was really no care taken in their presentation and a number of patrons had to ask for more of whatever had run out.

Shortly thereafter, I packed up and moved my bags out. I politely told the owner Oktay Balkir that I was going to look for another hotel since he was booked and had no more options for me and asked to store my bags for the day. He was gruff and his wife was lifeless, and they placed my bags in the center of the lobby as opposed to a storage closet or back office.

When I asked for directions to my travel agency right next to the Four Seasons, a local landmark next to the Hagia Sophia, he said it was impossible to tell me. Thanks. I set out on my own, and to add injury to insult I actually slipped on the steep cobbled street where the hotel is located and scraped up my knee! Luckily, I found my agency and a new hotel. When I returned for my bags, you can imagine that the gruff owner was even gruffer. He also tried to charge me a second night because he had stored my bags in the lobby for the day!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kellyj415
Reviewed 10 October 2012

There are hardly words to describe the superlative hospitality of Oktan and his family.It was a pleasure to stay in this hotel for 13 nights. i felt like at home and had a really good time. Oktan and his family are great hosts and really nice and pleasant people.
tüm iyi
teşekkür ederim:-)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BarbaraBasia2012
Reviewed 10 October 2012

from the moment we arrived at the "mystic hotel" we were made to feel very welcome by the incredibly friendly staff . Rooms were large and spotlessly clean. 5 minute walk from the centre and in the order direction to the riverside.ı will come again this hotel

• Stayed: August 2012