“Delighted”

Ranked #8 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
London
“Delighted”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed three nights in room 15, a deluxe.

Absolutely delighted with the hotel. The room was very spacious, with a large comfortable bed at one end, a sofa at the other, and a entrance area with desk around the corner. Well-appointed, nice bathroom with shower and large jacuzzi bath. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and like everyone else, one has to single out Nural, who makes everyone feel thoroughly at home.

Breakfast is good, and the views from the 4th floor where it is served are spectacular. At night, the 4th floor turns into the Nicole restaurant, which is super.

One of the highlights of our trip was a meal which Nural arranged for us at the Tapasuma restaurant attached to the Sumahan hotel, which involved a return boat trip across the Bosphorus. Definitely do this if you get the chance.

As others have said, the area around the hotel is a bit gritty, but we always felt safe, and it's a short walk down to the tram stop with quick and frequent service to the main tourist areas. It's hilly, so might be an issue for some; however, taxis in Istanbul are numerous and cheap.

We would certainly recommend TomTom Suites to anyone.

2 Thank Chris J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Sharing such a secret is against those who already know this wonderful place! To tell you the truth this is not a hotel for a first time visit. No, you will enjoy this hotel more if you already share the passion for Istanbul,like Nural, the general manager of the hotel does. He provides you with his own drawn maps and is eager to share his love for Istanbul. When you visit this hotel you should have read the Nobel laureate Pamuk to enjoy the Museum of Innocence just around the corner, Pamuk's books give you insight about the city and how his lovely part of town was in its early 60's turning into a posh area again now. The hotel is wonderful, service is incredibly friendly. From the restaurant, one of the finest in Istanbul, you see Topkapi Palace, the Aghia Sophia and magnificent Bosphorous and Golden Horn. I have been 6 times in Istanbul,stayed at big chain hotels, small boutique hotels in Sultanahmed, close to all the most important sites but never enjoyed so much a hotel in Istanbul like this one. Walking down the street with galleries and boutiques, taking the AC tram and exploring the city with its innumerable highlights. No, this hotel is not for everyone, it is too special!

Room Tip: Suite 34 had the most wonderful view. You would be awakened by the seagulls flying around .
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Geniesserin-51
East Meadow, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our cruise had just ended and we decided to stay an extra day in Istanbul at the TomTom Suites. The day started off with down pours while we were at the port and could not get a taxi. Finally after 2 hours we got a ride to the hotel our taxi driver dropped us off and the beginning of the hill we had a lot of luggage and had to carry it up the hill thank God The Hotel Manger (Nural) was on his way to work he came right over to us and helped us bring our luggage up and sent someone to help us . From than on our stay was great the hotel is beautiful the rooms are big with nice soft sheets and the bathrooms are luxurious They Have whirlpool tubs that were so relaxing my daughter and took nice hot baths. They have everything you could think of every extra in your room. Everyone that works there is so helpful especially Nural. I had such a great experience there. When I go back that is the only place I will Stay. So many extras!!!!!

Room Tip: I Think every room is big and beautiful
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank melanie p
Istanbul
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Hotel was very nice!! Great food and prompt service! Nurel the general manager was such a great help! Spoke English well and gave us great places to see and good directions also recommended great dinner places and made reservations! All around wonderful!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Cwyman
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I just returned from my 4th stay at the Tomtom Suites and every time we go it gets better. The rooms are large and comfortable, the breakfast is great with a fantastic view, the location is superb but most of all the staff are amazing. They are informative, friendly and go out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. I mentioned that my daughter liked strawberries and they brought a bowl of them to our room for her. I travel through Istanbul once a year or so and I won't stay in any other hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Intrepids
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I read each review for the Tomtom Suites before booking this hotel for our Istanbul vacation, and I can assure you that all of the wonderful things you read are true. It is a beautiful hotel, with an excellent staff that goes above and beyond to provide you with the highest level of service. I would like to say that ALL of the staff is first rate before I move on to my next comments.

Everyone mentions Nural, and it's for good reason. We started our contact with Nural from NYC, and he was always very responsive and helpful with everything from restaurant reservations we could not secure by email, recommendations for other great restaurants, having our fast pass museums cards and transportation card ready at the hotel, and securing a private all day guide for us at a reasonable rate for our first whole day. These are the things he did before our arrival, which made us feel more at ease. I was kind of surprised to read from a previous reviewer that they were not a fan of his hand drawn maps. I have included an image of one of these maps he drew for us that included boat schedules, and lots of detail that would be easy to show to pretty much any local on the street or in a shop, should we get turned around. If you take a look at the map image I posted, you will see that it is for our specific plans for the evening, and is pretty fool proof. I found Nural's maps not only helpful, but very unique and charming. Should you wish, the hotel also has many different traditional tourist maps and they are always eager to give you as much help and information as you require. In addition to an excellent front desk staff, the wait staff at Nicole, the behind the scene staff, and the housekeeping staff are all top notch. We tend to be tippers, and I am sure that helps, but there is a truly genuine feeling from the staff at Tomtom, we were very impressed overall.

We stayed in room 22 and we loved it. It is spacious, with plenty of wardrobe space to put things properly away to feel more settled, and a large, luxe, marble bathroom with good water pressure. The bed is very comfortable, the linens and towels are plentiful and of high quality, there is a good size mini-fridge that has a lot of purchase options and plenty of extra space to put your own things in as well. They provide you with two bottles of fresh water each day and turndown service chocolates; requests for things like ice (an always must have for us) or a pot of coffee were handled quickly, which we appreciated. I have no complaints at all, but, if I could improve on things, I would have liked to have had a more traditional hotel blackout option on the window treatments (we tend to be night people) and as someone else mentioned, the lighting in the bathroom is not great, especially for women. Very tall ceilings with overhead spotlights tend to cast a lot of shadows from above, making putting on makeup challenging. They do have a makeup mirror, but it's rather useless, it lights up fluorescent purple, which I did not understand at all? I ended up just using the full length mirrors on the wardrobe to apply makeup by daylight, and it was totally fine. We loved our room, and would choose it again.

While we stayed at Tomtom nine nights, we only took advantage of the complimentary breakfast a few times... night people, dreaming of blackout shades! When we did have it, we liked it a lot. What's not to like, I am surprised that some people are not satisfied? The view is second to none, and there are many options of fruits, breads, prepared dishes, cheeses, nuts, various meats, smoked salmon, house made yogurt, cereals, made to order eggs, fresh juice, french press coffee... we found it well above many breakfast experiences around the globe, and the staff is wonderful.

The location of the hotel is as you have read here in previous reviews. It is a great, quiet place that is kind of in the middle of everything, but still feels remote and luxurious. There is some construction on the private street by the hotel, but it never bothered us, living in Manhattan, construction is just a given, and taxis totally can pull right up to the front door... not sure why a previous reviewer said that was not the case? The shortcut to the shopping street is a pretty steep climb and on a back alleyway, but for us, it was also fine. My biggest concern about it was not the incline, but there was quite a bit of broken glass, which is not the fault of the Tomtom, as there are residents on that street and a business or two. I was wearing flip-flops a lot of the time and never got cut, but I was always looking down, just FYI. It is a San Francisco kind of climb, but it just takes a couple of minutes. Alternatively, there are other routes to take you where you need to go that don't add much time to your commute.

My final thoughts are this: Stay here, you will not regret it! Make use of the excellent staff, they are eager to help you! I'd be writing for days if I were to mention every thing wonderful about Tomtom and our experience, we would not hesitate to stay here again.

4 Thank ambnyc
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We spent three weeks at Tomtom Suites and the standard of care remained consistently high over that period. Staff are very friendly, respectful and generous in sharing their knowledge of, and enthusiasm for their beautiful city. Reception area, restaurant and rooms are all large, inviting and visually pleasing spaces. The level of services are on par with any five star hotels we have stayed in during the past few years. No swimming pool but this did not detract from our stay. Excellent location and close to all of Istanbul's top-drawer attractions. Will will definitely stay at Tomtom suites again.

Room Tip: Our room was on level 3 and we had wonderful water views.
2 Thank KH1453