“Not astonishing and reception service not at top”
Review of Tomtom Suites

Tomtom Suites
Ranked #8 of 1,148 Hotels in Istanbul
Milan, Italy
“Not astonishing and reception service not at top”
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed at Tomtom for 5 nights and spent there the New Year dinner.
Reviewing the reports here I actually expected more from the Hotel. Actually it's very nice, small, clean, rooms very well furnished.
Unfortunately I got the last available room, 21, and it's not supposed to be the possible best there. Very noisy: a diesel electricity generator was running during the day till 11pm just under the window. I made notice that to thereceptionist that even didn't know of the existance of the generator! So, it continued for the whole stay.
Moreover, I originally boked for 6 nights. During the stay we decided to leave earlier to hav a trip in the south. I asked the possibility to make it without being charged for the missing last night. They took 2 days for providing me with a feedback (it was not possible to get in tough with the manager). Then they told me that the night would have been charged. I asked to talk to the manager to complain about it. It was not possible to contact the manager, but after a short discussion among receptionist, at the end, they accepted not to charge the last night...
So, bottom line, hotel is OK, rooms are OK, don't go to the rooms with windows on the inner yard.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dudygiac
TomtomSuites, General Manager at Tomtom Suites, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
Dear Guest,
I read your comment about our Hotel and I am very sorry.
I apologize that we were not able to meet 100% of your expectations.
Your comment helps us to improve our service quality.
Our objective is to get a total guest satisfaction.
I thank you for your precious opinions.
As Tomtom Team, we look forward to welcome you again or your friends at our Hotel.
Kindest regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2011

After having stayed twice in the old part of Istanbul, we didn't know what to expect when coming to the Tomtom Suites. Tomtom is located on a quiet, sectioned off street walking distance from the young, shopping, food & bar filled European part of Istanbul.

The hotel itself is pristine. We had an enormous room with an equally huge bathroom. Everything tastefully but sparsely decorated. The bed was a hit with different types of pillows to chose from and a mattress that meant I slept like a dream. The breakfast buffet was very similar to what we experienced throughout Turkey so nothing to report there (I did have one negative incident where I ordered a soft-boiled egg and it came out virtually raw - when I sent it back they told me I must have meant 'medium boiled'!). The views from the restaurant though are fantastic and the dinner food was divine.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thebondipantry
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Stayed at TomTom on my first visit to Istanbul for five nights. I admit I prefer unique, higher end boutique hotels versus chains or the massive tourist hotels....and TomTom hits it out of the ballpark. Details matter here, and they are reflected in a superb staff. Rooms are impeccable and very comfortable -- with the busy traveller in mind. Breakfasts were tasty. (Ask for the Turkish eggs with peppers and tomatoes.) But it's the location that is ideal. Quiet street next to the Italian consulate -- so no traffic. And a five minute walk (albeit it up a steep hill) to the hubbub of Istanbul evenings. You won't be disappointed with TomTom. Perfect location for an Istanbul stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gariff
Chicago
Reviewed 29 November 2010

This was my second stay at Tomtom Suites. Last time I booked a junior suite but this time my partner and I had the executive suite. Similar to my last stay here, everything was outstanding. Amazing staff who are polite, professional, and helpful yet never overbearing. Beautiful rooms. Amazing location. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Recommend it most highly.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChicagoJamesChicago
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Absolutely amazing stay!!
Very warm welcome, very kind people, beautiful rooms very big with spacious bathroom,
limited but very tasteful breakfast, great view from top floor where is the restaurant, very very clean and fine design of the building.

I will definetely go back in Tomtom suites.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank savvastzeve
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We LOVED the TomTom Suites. The hotel is classy and beautiful, full of sleek modern design and eye-catching artwork. Our room was spotless and comfortable (although a tiny bit smaller than I thought it would be based on the pictures on the website. By contrast, the bathroom was HUGE!) The shower was spacious, hot and powerful; the bed was a dream. Free wi-fi in the rooms. Really, my only complaint about the room was that the toilet tended to gurgle all night long, so we always had to make sure the bathroom door was shut. I think bad plumbing is just a fact of life in Istanbul.

The staff of the hotel is incredibly friendly, helpful and professional. Most of the people working the front desk spoke perfect English; the one guy who wasn't anywhere near fluent still tried his utmost to communicate with us effectively, and it was fine. My only quibble with the service was that although I had confirmed my reservation 2 days before arriving, they didn't have it in their system when we got there. They asked if it could be under any other name, and I said no. It turns out, they had the reservation under my husband's name (we have different last names), which I found to be really surprising, given that my husband had had no communication with the hotel prior to our arrival - I did all the planning and made and confirmed the reservation myself. The only reason they even had my husband's name was because their online reservation form had asked for the name of any other guests who would be staying in the room. So they took his name from that form and put the reservation under it! The only reason I can think that they would do this is because he is the man, and that is kind of offensive to me! But I guess that's how things are done in Turkey.

The breakfast was really good, the scones and fresh orange juice were amazing! The breakfast terrace is really nice, with great views. Also, we really liked the iPads that were available for use during breakfast. After reading great reviews of the hotel's chef, we decided to eat dinner there one night, but were a little disappointed. The food was very expensive, and while our entrees were delicious, neither of us enjoyed our starters. However, our waiter, Ramazan, was an absolute delight, and the chef even came out to greet us.

The location of the hotel was awesome. It's literally a 5-minute walk downhill to the tram stop and then a 5-10 minute tram ride into the old city. The uphill walk back up to the hotel is really not that bad. The main street off of which the hotel is located is bustling and a nice look at Istanbul life away from the main tourist areas. The hotel itself is on a quiet side street that feels very safe, given that the Italian consulate is just steps away.
Also, the hotel is located a quick walk away from Istiklal Caddesi, the major pedestrian shopping street in Istanbul.

Overall, this is a great place to stay, and we would definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jemma64
Kansas
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Tomtom Suites was a real winner. Loved the location, the room was magnificent, modern, spotless, quiet and huge. I gave the bathroom a perfect 10. Great TV with some real channels, not just news channels in English. It was so hip that they gave us iPads to read the newspapers on in the morning at breakfast. The staff was also helpful and nice.
My one complaint....walked into the downstairs bar one evening and asked for a shot of vodka on the rocks---the charge was 32 TL--yikes.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple