“Stylish Hotel, but with Caveats”
Review of Tomtom Suites

Tomtom Suites
Ranked #11 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 3 February 2011

My wife and I stayed at TomTom Suites at the end of January 2011. Overall, this is a very comfortable, spacious and stylish hotel. Our suite was very clean with little to no wear. Bed was comfortable, although a bit hard for my preference. A selection of bed pillows are provided. The all marble bathroom was gorgeous, complete with a Philippe Starck whirlpool tub, 2 sinks, and a separate shower. Beautiful wood floors, attractive art work, lamps and decorations rounded out the remainder of the suite.

Given the above, I can recommend TomTom suites. However, the following should be noted:

1) Hotel is located in the Beyoğlu district of Istanbul. If you are only coming to Istanbul only for a few days, most of the major tourist sites are located on the other side of the Golden Horn (ie - Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace). It would be about a 30 min walk or so. There is a taxi rank just up the street, and a cab ride is less than 10 TL. The problem seems to be getting back as even taxis with meters seem to charge several times as much on the other side of the Golden Horn. Most taxi drivers do not know the city well, and even providing them with a map some dropped us off several blocks from the hotel.

2) The Beyoğlu district is fairly hilly. There is a very steep hill from the Hotel up to the main street.

3) There are few recommended restaurants in the area. If you review the top restaurants in Trip Advisor, they are mostly all located on the other side of the Golden Horn.

4) The Hotel appears to have recently changed their in house restaurant. The "Bistro" as indicated on their website appeared to be all but closed. The Terrace Bar upstairs has been changed to a modern/contemporary restaurant. We ate there once, and the food was decent, but the portions were small. After a long day exploring Istanbul, this wouldn't be my first choice for a filling meal. The Hotel needs a more accessible restaurant.

5) Room service is poor. Menu is extremely limited - caesar salad, hamburgers, and a few other items. We called room service one night and asked what the hamburger came with and was told that it didn't come with anything. When it was delivered, it came with fries. Also, we asked if anything could be ordered that was not on the room service menu - we were told if we wanted something else to come to the restaurant. That would defeat the purpose of room service! Other hotels such as the W will gladly accommodate such requests.

6) Breakfast Buffet is extremely limited. Although they can make eggs, omelets on request, there are no other hot items. Mostly cereal, bread, some cheese and cold cuts.

7) Area directly around hotel is run down. There is an empty lot next door. Next to that there are a series of abandoned buildings, some with collapsed roofs etc. Not sure how safe the area is or not, but the front desk told us not to carry much cash with us when we go out! (although this is sound advice for any large city, it is not exactly reassuring for the hotel to mention this to you as soon as you check in).

8) The street the Hotel is on is blocked by security for the Italian embassy, so you can't catch a cab outside the hotel and cab drivers can't drop you off out front.

9) There is a school located right across the street that I believe is associated with the Italian embassy there. Every morning around 7:30 to 8am the area outside turns into a school yard with children yelling. It didn't bother me personally, but if you are a light sleeper this could be an issue.

10) I would say generally hotel staff seemed friendly. However, they do need additional training. The front desk had recommended a local historic hamam and even provided a brochure. The brochure gave the impression that it was high end but it turned out to be anything but. The women hamam attendants were old, rude and continually yelled at my wife in Turkish. The attendant rubbed my wife's neck so hard she experienced a large abrasive cut. When we brought this to the attention of the front desk at checkout, no apology was offered.

After reading the reviews about this hamam on trip advisor (wish we had done so before my wife went!), it is rated extremely poorly. It doesn't seem like the hotel vets any of their recommendations.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank London_Guy99
TomtomSuites, General Manager at Tomtom Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review. I'm very sorry for not to be able to meet 100% of your expectations. Your review will permit us to bring to perfection our service quality.

Reviewed 1 February 2011

TomTom Suites was the perfect choice for our honeymoon trip to Istanbul. It has beautiful, modern and stylish interior. Very different than ottoman style represented by the rest. Hotel location is very good- quiet, but just a few steps from the middle of the action. Rooms are bautiful with marble bathrooms. Staff- very polite and helpfull. I would definietly go back again as it is one of the most beautiful small hotels in which we have ever had the pleasure of staying.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michaelandro
TomtomSuites, General Manager at Tomtom Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2011

Dear Guest,
Greetings from Tomtom Suites, The Old Franciscan House.
Thank you for the kind comments.
We are very happy to contribute Your Honeymoon trip by providing you a nice and confortable stay.
We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 25 January 2011

Late writing this review, but I stayed here for 3 nights in August 2010. Absolutely loved the hotel. From the small touches of being taken to the rooftop bar/restaurant for a glass of wine while the concierge shows you the sights by map and from the hotels excellent view. Was upgraded to a suite on the top level which was fantastic. Helpful staff - the private guided tour they organize is a great option to see the main sights with a local guide.
If we got back to Istanbul I will definitely be staying @ this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TO_traveller69
TomtomSuites, General Manager at Tomtom Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
They give us the energy to pursue our "younique"way.
We are looking forward to welcome you again or your friends in Tomtom Suites, The Old Franciscan House.
Warmest regards.

Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed at Tomtom for 5 nights and spent there the New Year dinner.
Reviewing the reports here I actually expected more from the Hotel. Actually it's very nice, small, clean, rooms very well furnished.
Unfortunately I got the last available room, 21, and it's not supposed to be the possible best there. Very noisy: a diesel electricity generator was running during the day till 11pm just under the window. I made notice that to thereceptionist that even didn't know of the existance of the generator! So, it continued for the whole stay.
Moreover, I originally boked for 6 nights. During the stay we decided to leave earlier to hav a trip in the south. I asked the possibility to make it without being charged for the missing last night. They took 2 days for providing me with a feedback (it was not possible to get in tough with the manager). Then they told me that the night would have been charged. I asked to talk to the manager to complain about it. It was not possible to contact the manager, but after a short discussion among receptionist, at the end, they accepted not to charge the last night...
So, bottom line, hotel is OK, rooms are OK, don't go to the rooms with windows on the inner yard.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dudygiac
TomtomSuites, General Manager at Tomtom Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2011

Dear Guest,
I read your comment about our Hotel and I am very sorry.
I apologize that we were not able to meet 100% of your expectations.
Your comment helps us to improve our service quality.
Our objective is to get a total guest satisfaction.
I thank you for your precious opinions.
As Tomtom Team, we look forward to welcome you again or your friends at our Hotel.

Reviewed 6 January 2011

After having stayed twice in the old part of Istanbul, we didn't know what to expect when coming to the Tomtom Suites. Tomtom is located on a quiet, sectioned off street walking distance from the young, shopping, food & bar filled European part of Istanbul.

The hotel itself is pristine. We had an enormous room with an equally huge bathroom. Everything tastefully but sparsely decorated. The bed was a hit with different types of pillows to chose from and a mattress that meant I slept like a dream. The breakfast buffet was very similar to what we experienced throughout Turkey so nothing to report there (I did have one negative incident where I ordered a soft-boiled egg and it came out virtually raw - when I sent it back they told me I must have meant 'medium boiled'!). The views from the restaurant though are fantastic and the dinner food was divine.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thebondipantry
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Stayed at TomTom on my first visit to Istanbul for five nights. I admit I prefer unique, higher end boutique hotels versus chains or the massive tourist hotels....and TomTom hits it out of the ballpark. Details matter here, and they are reflected in a superb staff. Rooms are impeccable and very comfortable -- with the busy traveller in mind. Breakfasts were tasty. (Ask for the Turkish eggs with peppers and tomatoes.) But it's the location that is ideal. Quiet street next to the Italian consulate -- so no traffic. And a five minute walk (albeit it up a steep hill) to the hubbub of Istanbul evenings. You won't be disappointed with TomTom. Perfect location for an Istanbul stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gariff
Reviewed 29 November 2010

This was my second stay at Tomtom Suites. Last time I booked a junior suite but this time my partner and I had the executive suite. Similar to my last stay here, everything was outstanding. Amazing staff who are polite, professional, and helpful yet never overbearing. Beautiful rooms. Amazing location. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Recommend it most highly.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple