Sinbad Hostel
US$437
US$314
US$152
  • Restaurant
DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcilar(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$62
Hotel Sultania(Istanbul)
US$135
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Istanbul Golden City Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$64
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It was expensive.
It was terribly conditioned.
It was unclean.
Combined above, it was not a good place for one expects more even for a backpacker.
The only good thing was, it was so close to the Blue Mosque!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank XUEGANG Z
Reviewed 6 September 2013

C1 ( 2013.08.08 )
I have been stayed there 4 days. This hostel's merit was only one, cheap. I don't understand another's reveiw that there was clean. I liked trip, so I have stayed many accomodation, hostel, etc. There was a worst accomodation in my life. Especially, there was a hostel for Korean, I think. ( I'm Korean. ) This hostel's staff compel to buy another city's tourism product ( especially Cappadocia ). This point was very unpleasant to me. If I evaluate this hostel one sentense, "Do not go absolutely"

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CanisHan
Reviewed 10 June 2013

As the others have already said, you did not expect to check in in an hostel when you arrive so you do not really see the place you will stay in until you have already paied.
Anyway, the hotel itself looks nice and new, you get the key to your room and the key to the entrance so that you can come and go as you like.
I was travelling sole and as it is not really in the touristic area (you need to walk 10 minutes uphill to get to Sultanhamet) i was a little worried about walking alone expecially at dark but everything went smoothly and i had no problems at all.
One thing that i think would need to be improved is that the rooms have no blinders and the curtains are light ones so at 6 am you already have a bright light into your bedroom.
Breakfast was ok even thought you should not expect a complete continental buffet, there were 3 different kind of cheeses, two kind of typical ham/salami, a spread i could not name, bread, butter and jam, plus cereal with cold milk and a jar with tea and hot water to make istant coffee.
Staff is very very friendly, a special thought for the lady that makes the service there who is lovely :)
I would stay there again, the price was very low and the place more than ok.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Thanks to former reviews I already knew, that the hotel is not situated where they claim it is, and after some mail exchange I managed to make them specify it's almost exact placing. It is located on Cömertler street. nr. 3, and not on Demirci Reşit street nr. 1 as they say and where actually the Sinbad Hostel is located. I think that only they know the reason of this inaccuracy, from my viewpoint such a misinformation is unacceptable.
You have to check in first at the Sinbad Hostel, you have to pay also without seeing the room yet. They also don't bother to give you a payment receipt (I got one when I asked for it on the last day, after I was informed that the price of the room blocked in just a few seconds on my credit card in the moment of booking, could last even 3 weeks till gets unblocked). After these formalities we got informed that in the next day we have to change the room, because they are so fully booked (from my point of view only disorganized) that there is no other choice. When we saw the room which we had to change the next day, well, in that moment we were those, who wanted another room, no matter what. It was a non-standard single room of 4 square meters with a tiny bathroom, so that one of us had to step out in front of the door when the other wanted to change clothing. The next day they gave us a larger room, something similar to what we have paid for, but when you know that you have 4 days to visit such a big city with so many attractions, somehow one of your main worries should not be changing the room after 11:00 am, when you could be in a museum or just simply enjoying an apple tea on a terrace, and all this just because somebody wasn't able to manage your booking, booking which I made with more then one month earlier, when they got plenty of rooms, at least according to booking.com.

If I were them, I would approach the problem in the following way: "Dear guest, we are terribly sorry, but we have to admit that we are a little bit disorganized, so we really do have no other possibility but to give you for the first night the only one room which even we are ashamed for, and in normal circumstances we wouldn't even show it to clients, but now this is the situation, and for this reason we give you a 25% discount from the price of the first night. Not that it would be a big amount, but that's the most we can do, and again, we apologize, we feel terribly sorry about this inconvenience." If they would have put the problem this way, I wouldn't write even one word of complaint.

The personnel does not have really much to do with any other language than the Turkish, so if you need something you have to go again to Sinbad H. where is the only person who can speak English. For these reasons I'm not considering returning to this hotel in the future.

___________________________________________________________________

Otherwise Baklava Hotel is close to main attractions, only from a 10-15 min. walk to Blue Mosque, yet this zone of the old town is a quiet one, there are plenty of small restaurants where also locals eat, so they must be good, not like those flooded by the crowds of tourists. The hotel is clean and quiet, and though the personnel didn't speak and understand English too well, they are nice and amiable people, they tried very hard to free up a parking lot for me in front of the hotel, and they didn't gave up till they succeeded. The breakfast could have been a little more diverse from one day to another, but I have seen worse. It was quite tasty.

Aside from those problems which I have described in the first part of my review, it is not a bad place to stay, and the price is also friendly in comparison to other facilities of the Sultanahmet and Istanbul in general.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Weird location arrangements. They send you to an address, but when you get there, the staff takes you to another building (an ordinary house without any indication that it’s a hotel) about 500 meters far. Fairly clean and fair for the price charged, but would not consider staying there again. The ‘hotel’ is mostly empty and you can never find a hotel staff to give you information.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends