“Spacious dorm rooms, grimy shared showers”

Chambers of the Boheme
Ranked #467 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Spent a night here in one of the 4-bed female dorms. The particular room I had (2nd floor, room E) had 1 bunk bed and 2 singles. Overlooked the noisy sidestreet (cafes/bars) - with the windows shut (and AC on) getting some shut eye isn't a problem. The manager was helpful with arranging airport taxis and storing luggage.
Overall average - the shared shower (1 per floor - so you'll be sharing with as many as 7 other people) is fairly grimy and the rooms aren't super-clean... it looks like sheets are changed between guests, but otherwise there isn't sweeping of floors or wiping down of table tops (the nightstand in my dorm still had bits of food on it).
If you need a centrally-located place to crash for 1 night, this is a good choice. Any longer and you'd definitely want a cleaner shower... maybe something on Airbnb or another hostel?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Laura A

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Absolutely fantastic location right off istiklal. Ahmet was very helpful in planning our four day stay. We were also upgraded from the dorm to a private room for no charge! Unbeatable location and fantastic price.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Charlie P
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I literally had no idea which hostel to book when I was researching Istanbul because there was so many options! In the end I chose this place and I'm glad I did! The atmosphere wasn't the best in the hostel, I barely spoke to anyone because there wasn't really a common area but the rooms were really good and the location of this hostel is excellent! The best thing about the hostel is the manager though, he was so helpful with everything from transport to getting a haircut!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Have just got back from a 4 day trip to Istanbul and Chambers of the Boheme was a fantastic place to stay. It is very central to the nightlife and shopping area where you can find quirky and cool cafes and bars. On arrival, Ahmet the owner greeted us in reception. He was very informative and friendly and made our experience very worthwhile. He made sure we knew where we were going every time we left the building and he really did everything he could to make our visit the best it could be. Ahmet was so sweet, he gave us towels when we asked for them as well as spare umbrellas when it rained! Ahmet is a true legend and we will be going back to Istanbul just to see him. The rooms have character and style with comfy beds and good toilet and bathroom facilities. You can easily jump in a taxi for about 10 Lira in the daytime to get to Sultanhmet, the main mosque area and also the Grand Bizarre for shopping. The price of our stay was extremely reasonable and so if you are looking for a friendly place to stay in Istanbul I thoroughly recommend this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jessica B
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed 2 nights here in a 6 bed dorm. The price was reasonable and seems to match the prices of the other hostels in Istanbul. This hostel was handy for me since I was flying out after the 2nd day and was near the airport bus to Istanbul's (Asian side) airport. The owner has had this hostel for several years, has lots of helpful information, and is friendly. The hostel has a restaurant/area for relaxing. The main thing that was difficult for me is climbing the circular stairs a few floors up with clumsy luggage. For folks wanting to see Istanbul's major sights, you'll have to take public transportation to get there. Or if on foot it will take some time, around 40 minutes or better, I'd say.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank happy60798
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I spent 3 nights at this hostel in May 2014. Ahmet, the owner of the establishment is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hostel itself is located just off Istikal Caddesi which is the main shopping street in the Beyoglu area - walking distance from most places. When there, be sure to try Ahmet's local breakfast and a good Turkish coffee. They definitely made my stay in Istanbul and more pleasurable one - rest assured that I will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NikolSamm
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I was incredibly impressed with my stay at Chambers of the Boheme. The location, just off the bustling Istikal, is incredibly convenient in Istanbul. In the evenings, it's easy to relax in one of Istikal's alleys with a coffee or a hookah and listen to street musicians as they pass. It is within walking distance of Galata Tower and 5 minute walk to the Metro that takes you to the "old city" tourist attractions.

The owner, Ahmit, is incredibly helpful and friendly! He will get you a tea, make you Turkish breakfast, and is incredibly generous in offering help. Even though I was traveling alone, I was able to make friends to walk around the city with each day I was in Istanbul.

The rooms were also great. Very clean, updated bathrooms and comfortable bunks. I stayed in a 5-bed room and everyone was respectful and considerate of sleep times and shared bathroom.

I will absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor to avoid hearing the stairs creak as travelers come in late.