“Amazing Place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of World House Istanbul

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
World House Istanbul
Ranked #32 of 1,175 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

A group of 5 of us stayed in the large dorm. there were two toilets and hot showers, air con in the room , the beds were comfortable (impressive since im 6"6"). Breakfast was bread, eggs, coffee, jam, tomatoes, cheese, cucumber. certainly enough to fuel you for the day. There is a supermarket about 30m down the road which sells pretty much everything you could want food wise. There are plenty of takeaways for evening meals on a budget nearby of if you want something better there are plenty of nearby restaurants. Rooftop bars are a must, the atmosphere is amazing. The staff were great they were happy to help with anything, maps are provided and they have excellent local knowledge of the best places to go (i swear they speak better english than me) The large common room area creates a great atmosphere (like a proper hostel) there always someone new to talk to or share advice with. There are plug sockets everywhere in the hostel for all your electrical needs. We stayed during the riots and felt very safe despite the guy asking us to close the windows to keep the tear gas out. Overall I cant recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights here and after reading some of the other reviews feel very confused? I even had to double check that I was looking at the right hostel! To start, I felt the location was terrible! We booked this hostel because of the raved location yet we had to catch taxis everywhere we wanted to go. This hostel is located on the asia side of turkey and most of the tourist attractions that we wanted to see ie: blue mosque, shisha ally, the old town ect were on the Europe side, 10 min drive away! The only thing that was in walking distance was the shopping strip, which for 3 girls was great but not our main focus and the galata tower. We were on the 4th floor ie the attic! So when we finally made it down the 3 flights of stairs to the bottom we were always hoping that there would be something exciting happening but there never was. I found it to be a very anti social hostel where the staff were unhelpful at most times. There are no organised events and everyone just kept to themselves and when we would ask the staff for help it was like we were annoying them. There answer for everything was just down or up the road - there are a million roads that lead on to more roads, thanks for the directions!

In all if you just want somewhere comfortable, clean and safe to sleep and are not into the party, socialising atmosphere then this is probably your kind of place.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed in a dorm in World House and it was really good. I met some wonderful people there. The location is great, and overall I felt comfortable in that place.

The only negative aspect I experienced was that when I asked one of the receptionists to call for a cab to take me from the Hostel to Sabiha Gokcen airport (there were big protests at the time and all the Havas airport buses left Taksim sq., I was in such a hurry and I was left with no other option but to take a taxi). I asked the receptionist to arrange a reasonable price with the taxi driver so that he doesnt charge me for more than he deserves, so he did, and I paid 115 TL.
Later, I went to Antalya and made some Turkish friends there and when I told them about the taxi price they told me that that was too pricey and that I was being deceived by the receptionist and the taxi driver. My friend showed me a Taxi Fare website with a map that measures the exact distance between two destinations in kms and automatically calculates the price of the taxi. So when we did that, it turned out that the price from the hostel to Sabiha Gokcen airport was only 70 TL

I recommend the hostel itself but don't ask them to bring a taxi for you or arrange the price with the driver, that was my mistake, especially if you are in a hurry!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed at World House Istanbul for 3 nights recently in a private double on the top floor. The room was well priced, with it's own toilet, shower, clean and quite spacey with a balcony overlooking Galata Tower, Blue Mosque and other mosques. The views were awesome and very unexpected. I arrived at 6 in the morning, dropped off my bags before heading out to explore the city, returning later in the afternoon to check-in etc. The staff were friendly with lot's of information, booked taxis etc, all the normal stuff. The breakfast, in the typical Turkish style, bread, cheese, boiled eggs, tomato, cucumber, grapes and tea/coffee, all very tasty and a good start to the day. The hostel is well situated, very central, 2 mins walk to Galata Tower, 15 mins to Taksim Sqaure, 25m to Blue Mosque. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Top floor - awesome views with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed in a 6 bedroom and then a 4 bedroom room and had a very pleasurable stay. The staff was very helpful with all the information about places to go, airport shuttles etc. The breakfast itself was decent enough and the wireless reached all the rooms (except for the very top floor of the building). The hostel is very clean, has a great area to relax and is in the heart of the city around Istikal and Taksim. It's close to the ferry port and all the nightlife of Istanbul. It's about a 10 minute tram ride from the Sultanahmet area where all the touristy sites are (Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque etc). I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone. Great Location and a great time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Trondheim, Sor-Trondelag, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

A perfect base if you wanna visit the typical touristic places, such as the Sultanahmet, Grand Bazaar, Hagia Sofia, Taksim Square or the Galata Tower. We slept in a room for 8 persons and had interesting meetings with other young people from all over the world. The commonrooms are homey and nice. If you are here, you should also visit the restaurant Guney a couple metres down the street and to the right, just below the Galata Tower.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay at this hostel, but we had a great experience with its manager Medhi (who is originally Dutch as us). We met him as we came of the bus at the Taksim square, and he offered to show us the way to our hostel, and because of protests and big risk of riots he walked with us all the way (eventhough this was quite far from where he had to go). We visited the hostel the day after and it looked great, the coffee was nice too!