Neverland Hostel
Innpera(Istanbul)
All reviewslounge areaturkeyistiklalheatingbasement
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in what was supposed to be a twin room but ended up being a double room despite us phoning from England TWICE beforehand to verify that we, as two single men, wanted TWO BEDS not one, in a private ensuite room. When we arrived we were told that they had made a mistake and all twin rooms were double booked. They told us to sit in the reception while they "sorted it out", half an hour later they came back and said they'd but another bed in the room so we were satisfied.....until we got to the room to find a single mattress dumped on the floor instead of another bed.
We made do as we had relied on this hostel and didn't have many other choices. The first night we stayed out late and came in before dawn, we found it hard to sleep because of the loud noise from the busy side street on which the hostel is situated, also opposite a mosque with a very loud call to prayer, which is actually quite beautiful but combined with the traffic noise and early rising workers made it a very noisy room. Also, the bed sheets were itchy and of poor quality and there were very flimsy curtains that didnt fit even half the window so a lot of sunlight came in making it impossible to sleep.
After three sleepless nights we came home again at 4am to be told that they'd made a mistake with our booking as we had booked a twin room and the day receptionist saw that our room was a double and had guests booked in for that night and had subsequently packed all our stuff, including passports and MONEY and had placed them in the reception "for us". Unfortunately, they said, they didn't have any other rooms but were quite happy for us to sleep in the lounge. This is a 24 hour OPEN door hostel and our luggage, money and passports had been unsecurely dumped in the busy reception. We had to leave or face TWO more nights sleeping in the reception lounge. Luckily we had a friend living nearby who put us up, but I ended up spenidn my 30th birthday night sleeping on my friends floor because of the sheer rudeness and incompetence of Neverland Hostel staff. We received no apology and were left carrying luggage up the attrociously steep road at 4 am!
On checking our luggage the next morning we found that 250 Turkish Liras were missing from our luggage along with my mobile phone!
NEVER STAY AT NEVERLAND

Room Tip: there isnt one
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank canchito
Reviewed 30 September 2010

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights in a private room. We debated switching to a different hostel but decided not to. The toilet ran all night and was loud, and the showers weren't that clean but not too bad.
The rooms were sketchy and our window wouldn't lock. Very hot rooms so we wanted to sleep with the window open. The blankets were scratchy so we slept under the towels that we had brought.
It's a very youthful place, and painted by the guests which is cool, but an overall feeling of griminess.
The main lounge has free wifi which was good, plenty of visiting cats, and a decent breakfast.
The staff attempted to be helpful but had no maps, no brochures or literature of any kind with information.
All in all, it wasn't terrible, but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank sjlovett
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I am not sure how the previous two revıewers wrote such positive comments about this hostel. I am an extremely well travelled person and can safely say this is the worst place I have ever stayed. I had a prıvate room to myself. Thıs was ıncredıbly hot and dıffıcult to sleep. You would think that they may provıde some fans or something to compensate for this???? The shared bathroom was dırty - I had to paddle around ın water ın the shower as ıt would not drain properly. The staff were very unhelpful. They had no map of the area and could not gıve sımple explanations about where to fınd things lıke the Metro statıon. Although the hostel ıs not far from the maın strip, ıt ıs at the bottom of the world's steepest hıll. Walkıng up and down thıs wıth a bıg back pack was a nıghtmare. However, the worst thing about this place was the noise. The walls are paper thin and so you can hear absolutely everything your neighbour does. And the street noise was unbearable.

I have never been so dıssatısfıed wıth a hostel that I have needed to check out early. But I had to here.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Treen2000
Reviewed 7 July 2010

my husband and i spent four night here in late may. we stayed in a private room with our own bathroom. the twin beds were comfy and clean, we had plenty of blankets in the closet. the bathroom was clean but i'm not a fan of the "open shower", meaning everything in the room gets drenched, including toilet paper.
it was quiet at night, not party central, but there was always an interesting selection of music coming from the lobby/dining room. a very eclectic bunch of younger people were staying while i was there. i can easily say i was the oldest person in the building and i'm 52; it's got a youthful ambiance. as another reviewer stated the paintings and posters have a left wing political slant. it was also smoke free inside, as much of istanbul is becoming these days.
the staff were super. friendly, helpful and all spoke english, which was good for me. there are laundry facilities, free and plentiful breakfasts, 24 hours free coffee and tea, one computer but free wi-fi if you have your own, a game room in the basement and roaming cats (if you're in istanbul you had better like cats-----they own the city!).
i would definitely recommend this as a great home base when in istanbul. the location is great, steps from beyoglu main pedestrian street, taxim square and transportation.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I originally wanted to book at the more modern-outfitted Hostelon down the street, but was referred to this establishment because Hostelon was full. What can I say? A great--nay, a FANTASTIC--place to stay, even if like me, you're allergic to cats. I love this place that much. While I checked in, the guy at the desk immediately invited me to a concert that some friends were playing later on that night, which I would've attended if I didn't have a previous engagement. The staff is very kind and know everything there is to know about the city--and even if they don't, they'll bend over backwards to find out for you. Breakfast is very hearty, but served from 9-10h30, so if you snooze, you lose! As indicated in the title, it's a very laidback place, but also very socially conscious--you'll notice the various posters and art that leans more towards left of center. Even if you're not of a particular ideological stripe, Neverland remains a great place to stay. Party-people beware; the operative word here is respect. With that in mind, you'll definitely meet loads of interesting people, and hopefully have a great a time as I did. (By the by, I stayed in a 4-bed dorm on the top floor for 12TL/night, 4 nights. Bathroom and toilet on each floor. I believe that the hostel offers singles and doubles as well. Only one computer but you can wait your turn.)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo