“Perfect place for budget travelers”
Review of Kecik

and 1 more site!
Kecik
Ranked #1,037 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Perfect place for budget travelers”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We bought the deal to Istanbul through holiday factory and the moment we checked the reviews of the hotel we didn’t want to take a risk and stay in this hotel. The pictures travelers have updated were beyond horrible. We even planned to rent out an apartment because the reviews were so bad. But somehow we convinced ourselves that the only time we will be in the room is when we need to sleep and the entire day we will be exploring Istanbul.
We were picked up by a travel agent from Helen Tours from the airport to the Kecik hotel and the receptionist did know enough English to inform us that he doesn’t understand English. We requested for a new room. A kind bell boy escorted us to the rooms yes we carried our own luggage without expecting much from the staff. But he offered help. We stayed at room number 406. To be honest I was impressed with the room and the washroom. Beddings we very clean we had a view of the adjoining mosque. It was an above average room and we were more than happy.
The breakfast was not bad, we had the same kind of food all the three days. They had Bread, jam, honey, cereal, cornflakes, mortadela, french fries, cheese rolls freshly made, butter or carrot cake and a variety of canned fruit juices. It was more than enough but the food wasn’t horrible at all.
Most importantly the place is situated in Lalili, near Sultanahmed area where all the main tourist attractions are, easy to shop in grand bazaar in just 10 minutes walk away. We found the place very convenient.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone who is on a tight budget who would want to see the main attractions of Istanbul within 3 days.
We had a great time and would definitely visit the country again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank DiliniSenadheera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Very basic hotel in Istanbul's commercial area. Accessible to public transportation, although I will recommend walking if you want to see more of the city. We arrived a little after lunch time and had the basic handover of passports in exchange for the room key. Receptionist was quite nice to us. My friend and I had a twin-sharing room on the fifth floor, just beside the elevator, and had a window that opens to a view of the nearest mosque. If you're a light sleeper, you might be awakened by the early morning prayer calls. Well, we were always tired during the day so we mostly slept just fine. The room was small yet space was maximized--you can tell, especially in the bathroom (or WC as they call it there). Room service was efficient, made up our room on our third day even if we didn't ask them to.

Points for improvement:
Breakfast menu! It was always the same every morning. I mean, I don't mind eating the same thing everyday, but at least maybe a new main course item or two will keep the guests from thinking that this morning's sausages were not leftovers from yesterday.

You need to pay 10 TRY for the power socket adapter. We thought the 10 TRY was just a deposit but we didn't get it back when we returned the adapter on our checkout.

Shower enclosure needs a little adjustment in the measurement department. :)

Overall, it was an OK stay. Again, the keyword is "basic." You should be out mostly during the day so just enjoy the charming city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robby T
Petra
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very rude and disrespectful staff. if you don't allow them to overcharge you they will go crazy on you.
The Receptionist Threatened us to keep our passports because we refused to pay him for something we didn't order.
the bell boy refused to take our bags to the car upon check out. he had to argue with the guide and when he did, he left them half way through.
the isolation is very bad. you can hear the conversations in the adjacent rooms.
no welcome upon your arrival not even with a smile.
even if you don't plan to use the hotel for sleeping, still it is very bad choice

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Reviewed 10 June 2014

When I travel, I usually stay in a budget hotel as I do not have the liberty to stay in a luxurious and expensive places and besides I only need a place to bathe, sleep and a place where I could keep my things while I tour around. When we booked in Kecik, my mind set was - expect nothing fancy and grand. In fairness to the hotel, rooms/toilet; room attendants & front desk service; and breakfast- were OK for what it cost. Wifi access was fast, I was able to download 2 movies I could watch on my flight back to Dubai.

There's a couple of things that I would like to point out though, just a heads up to those planning to stay in this hotel:
- you can hear the conversations from the adjacent rooms and the the noise outside the hotel bldg. Prepare your earplugs for a good night sleep and rest.
- breakfast served are the same everyday (its the same with other budget hotels anywhere in Europe). But you can do one thing, you can try not eat everything on the table :), I mean you can have cereals on the 1st day, bread egg and sausage on the 2nd day, if you are the kind of person who hates to eat same thing every morning :).

I hope this helps.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Juls_12579
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had the dis-pleasure of booking this hotel as part of a tour package. As we arrived we were not greeted, we were just asked "passport" followed by "205".
Not a great first impression.

After struggling for a minute to open the door we entered this place. Wall paper peeling, shower broken with the shower head lying on the floor, a mini bar with two glasses in side.

Needless to say we only managed to brave it for 4 hours then we walked out and caught a taxi to another hotel.

My advise for this hotel, demolish and make space for a children's playground!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews for this hotel on TripAdvisor, I was terrified of what I would find!
However, the hotel turned out not to be as bad as I expected. The rooms are a decent size as are the bathrooms. The breakfast was good too. We didn't try out the bar so have no comment on that.
The location is excellent - 4 minutes walk from Laleli Universities tram station from where you can easily take the T1 tram.
The main problem was the staff who didn't understand a word of English. Please don't rely on them for anything.
If you're on a very tight budget and in Istanbul for a short stay, this hotel isn't a bad idea.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank LSkye
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Went to this hotel and before we arrive in Istanbul, we have sent an email to request to give us the newly renovated room. We never got any response from them which i think is rude. When we finally get to Istanbul, the hotel looks smaller than the picture. The receptionist speaks poor english, although the bell boy is helpful. We were given a very small room just like the size of a college dorm room, gloomy, and very small bathroom. the breakfast is disgusting, didn't eat much at all except for the corn flakes with milk. the next day we requested to be transferred to another room which they did, which is way bigger and better. Try to bring an adaptor for the 2 round socket because they dont have any adaptors in the hotel. The wi-fi signal is good. There is one very arrogant person in the reception, i dont know if he knows the meaning of customer service. Overall, i will not recommend this hotel. I dont even plan to come back... however, Turkey is amazing and beautiful city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends