Because we booked our week in Istanbul relatively late, we had to move from apartment 1 to apartment 5 after two days. Both have their advantages. Apt. 1 appears to be in the basement, but the house is built on the side of such a steep hill that it has a balcony, with a little garden further down again. Only one bedroom, but my daughter assures me that the sofa was very comfortable. Apt. 5 is the highest, three flights up from the entrance with no lift, but it has two bedrooms and the view from the balcony over the Sea of Marmara is terrific, just the place for sitting with a gin and tonic after a hard day beating the streets or hopping from foot to foot in the Grand Bazaar while other family members haggle over copy Celine bags.
The cleaner and Burhan, the owner's rep., are very helpful (the water heater packed up on day 2, but was fixed by the time we got back from our day out), but Burhan may sometimes appear to understand more than he actually does. We thought we'd booked a taxi back the airport with him, but when it didn't turn up he swore that we hadn't; fortunately he got one for us within fifteen minutes.
The house is in a side street, which looks the tiniest bit run down on first inspection, but is no different from a lot of Istanbul away from the main tourist honeypots. The 5.45 call to prayer is a bit intrusive, and is probably more so since the muezzin gave up climbing to the top of the minaret and relied on a recorded message over a loudspeaker instead - but if you don't want this sort of thing, what are you doing in a Muslim country? The main thing to note is that it is a steep climb up to the main road, Divan Yolu, along which the trams run; that and the absence of a lift means that this is no place for the short of breath.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ISTANBUL SUITE HOME is located at the very heart of Istanbul's Old City part, Sultanahmet that is surrounded by most of the historical sites and attractions, museums, churches, mosques, antique bazaars and basilica cisterns etc. The building has 5 stories consisting of 1 individual apartment flat on each story. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Istanbul Amedros Home reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Istanbul Suite Home Hotel Istanbul
- Suite Home Hotel Istanbul
- Suite Home Istanbul