“Worth the climb”

Istanbul Amedros Home
Ranked #30 of 1,248 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Because we booked our week in Istanbul relatively late, we had to move from apartment 1 to apartment 5 after two days. Both have their advantages. Apt. 1 appears to be in the basement, but the house is built on the side of such a steep hill that it has a balcony, with a little garden further down again. Only one bedroom, but my daughter assures me that the sofa was very comfortable. Apt. 5 is the highest, three flights up from the entrance with no lift, but it has two bedrooms and the view from the balcony over the Sea of Marmara is terrific, just the place for sitting with a gin and tonic after a hard day beating the streets or hopping from foot to foot in the Grand Bazaar while other family members haggle over copy Celine bags.

The cleaner and Burhan, the owner's rep., are very helpful (the water heater packed up on day 2, but was fixed by the time we got back from our day out), but Burhan may sometimes appear to understand more than he actually does. We thought we'd booked a taxi back the airport with him, but when it didn't turn up he swore that we hadn't; fortunately he got one for us within fifteen minutes.

The house is in a side street, which looks the tiniest bit run down on first inspection, but is no different from a lot of Istanbul away from the main tourist honeypots. The 5.45 call to prayer is a bit intrusive, and is probably more so since the muezzin gave up climbing to the top of the minaret and relied on a recorded message over a loudspeaker instead - but if you don't want this sort of thing, what are you doing in a Muslim country? The main thing to note is that it is a steep climb up to the main road, Divan Yolu, along which the trams run; that and the absence of a lift means that this is no place for the short of breath.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Ian C

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I planned a five-night trip to Istanbul in March and wanted to be in the heart of the tourist area to take in all the sites and do some serious carpet shopping. While there are tons of little hotels in the area, I always prefer to rent an apartment and from the reviews on the net I was encourage that this was the right place... and I was not disappointed - Istanbul Suite Homes was the PERFECT answer.

I selected the top floor apartment (#5) and it was totally worth the climb up the stairs (actually only 3 flights) because in the morning I woke up to a breath-taking view of the sea spread before me. I loved listening to the "call to prayer" as the apartment is nestled not too far from two mosques.

The unit was quite modern and felt clean. It has everything you need for a short stay - I was so tired at night from carpet shopping that I often ate dinner at home. It was fun having extra space and not feeling cramped.

The staff was very concerned that I was happy - they were there to welcome me and show me how everything worked. They held onto my luggage while I went off to Cappadocia so I was able to retrieve it on my return.

From a value point of view this is a great deal if you need two bedrooms. I was on my own, but decided to treat myself because you only live once... I did have friends come by for drinks - and they were quite impressed.

I will definitely stay here again when I return to Istanbul - and consider it my new home!

PS>>> I did NOT find the big carpet I was looking for, but had a great deal of fun searching, I think I actually tired out the carpet sales people.

Room Tip: The top floor unit #5 is worth the few extra dollars and the walk up... go for it!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank DianeAngelaDrey
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My daughter and I spent 9 nights in Istanbul and booked this apartment (Apartment 3) as we were able to have the space of a bedroom each. We arrived after dark with the complimentary transfer from Istanbul's second airport, on the Asian side of the city. It was lovely to have someone waiting at the airport to help us with our bags etc.
Our initial impression after driving through the narrow streets of Sultanahmet was that it was down a small dark street and I wondered if I had made a mistake in staying here. We were met at the apartment by Burhan and he marked the map with a route to the main street and assured us it was safe for us to walk around the area. Sure enough after a 5 minute walk we arrived on one of the main thoroughfares (Divan Yolu) which has a tram service running along it. Along here we could easily walk to the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace and easily catch the tram to the Spice Bazaar and over the Golden Horn to Taksim and the Dolmabahce Palace. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from and we really enjoyed having the space of the apartment to return to each evening.
There was free WiFi internet available, as well as the welcome pack that meant we could manage breakfast without any problem the next day. There is a small store at the end of the street where you can buy fresh bread each day for the amazing price of 50 TL (approx 25c Australian) as well as some basic fruit and veg.
Our only reservation about the apartment was the quality of the curtains. There are street lights just outside the bedrooms and the rooms remain quite bright through the night, as the curtains are quite basic. My daughter ended up buying some bull dog clips and using one of the bedspreads over her windows so she could sleep. There is a nearby mosque (with loud speaker) so light sleepers may find the early morning call to prayer a little disturbing however it did not wake us after the first morning, and this is really part of the experience of Istanbul.There is no laundry facility in the apartment, but a large sink does well for hand washing clothes.
The roof top terrace is very well set up and during the warmer months I would think would be very popular with a fantastic view. On our last day the sun came out and the terrace was fabulous.
When booking tours that include pick up from hotels, none of the agents know this apartment, however there is a hotel next door called the Blue Istanbul Hotel and we gave this as our pick up address, and waited outside.
The value of the apartment with only 2 people is OK- similar to a reasonable hotel, (with a lot more space) but I think for a family of 4, it would be pretty much unbeatable value.
On the whole I would strongly recommend this apartment, especially for longer stays in Istanbul.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank JKAT
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I go to Istanbul every year and usually stay in a hotel. As my last trip was a fairly long one I decided to rent an apartment so that I would have more space and it was the best decision I made. The apartment I stayed in (number 2) was absolutely perfect for our needs. It was well-furnished, comfortable, clean and spacious. The apartments are very well located in Sultanahmet and are within walking distance to all of the main sites (many of them just a 5 minute walk away) and to a tram stop. The tea, coffee, bread, wine and other basics provided by the owners were very much appreciated and a very welcoming touch. I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else when in Istanbul. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank MJ0606
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Istanbul Suite Home really lives up to its name. It is sweet, indeed, but also well designed and fully equipped, comfortable, spacious, and in an excellent location (but in a quiet street). We found lots of welcoming details (fresh tea brewing, cheese, bread, fruit), and a well-disposed and efficient English-speaking staff. It was a joy to return home every day. We can't think of a better place to stay when we return. Excellent value overall.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Susana T
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the Istanbul suite home aparts. This place is fabulous! The location is good, very near the major sites, and the apart was spacious, and beautifully decorated, with nice welcoming details such as fruit, bread, cheese and tea awaiting us! The kitchen and bathroom were very functional. In addition to having access to the large rooftop terrace, the one bedroom on the ground level also had its own private patio. This apart was an oasis in the city, and felt like home! I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank kjanatpour
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We have stayed 6 days at İstanbul suite home aparts and it was the best acommodattion,impecably clean,perfect location.It was realy nice to recieve us with fruite,chocalate and WINE..Free wi-fi was very useful allover the apartment,even on terrace with amazing seaview.Service staff were very friendly and helpfull during our stay
Thank you very much for all.We highly recommend İstanbul suite home aparts to everyone.
Vale,jany y Gaby.