“A real gem in sultanahmet!!”

Istanbul Amedros Home
Ranked #25 of 1,241 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We were very impressed with the apartment the moment we entered. Very bright and lively, a small convenience store right across, which made our stay very comfortable. We were in constant touch with the manager if we ever needed anything. We stayed in Deluxe 1 which had a small private garden and thats what awed us when we first entered, looking at the greenery. The walk to the main street (Divan yolu, about 5 mins) is a bit of an exercise but the whole of Istanbul is like that, so one has to get used to walking uphill. Its very conveniently located to most of the attractions in old sultanahmet. The apartment was kept very clean and Burhan(staff) had provided us with few necessities(milk, fruits, cheese, etc) the first day we came in.
And the BEST part about the apartment was its roof top terrace. We loved spending our late nights there. Luckily the weather was really nice, so it gave us an opportunity to enjoy the weather. Yuksel(owner/manager) has paid attention to very small details when it comes to the guests staying in the apartments. We never found any need to contact anyone for anything because everything one could need was readily available either in the apartment or the store across.
We loved the city and the apartment just made it even better and enjoyable for us. We would definitely love to come back to this city and Istanbul Suite Home will be our first choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 June 2013

My spouse and I recently stayed at the Istanbul Suite Home. Some parts of our stay there were good, some were not. The transfer from the airport went well. At the apartment, the manager greeted us and showed us how to use the television and operate the door to the small, not very usable, balcony. Almost from the beginning the television would not work. The cable box was replaced the next day. After that we were able to use the television. The balcony door was very difficult to master. It took us serveral days to do that. The building's front door lock would not work on three occassions. Fortunately, some of the men, who are always in the street, were able to unlock it for us. Not having a manager on site is a disadvantage, expecially if you do not have a cell phone that operates in Turkey. The sound proofing does not exist. The sounds from the apartment, from the rest of the building, and from the street were very intrusive. There was construction going on next door that was too loud for us to be in the apartment during the day for several days during our stay. Judging by the what we could see of the work, it will go on for sometime. The Istanbul Suite Home policy of requiring an advance payment by means of Paypal of one-quarter of the total rent so not so bad. However, requiring the remaining three-quarters in cash (Euros or U.S. dollars) on arrival is a problem. Carring that much cash on the airplane is uncomfortable. They do not accept any credit or debit card.

All of the above are problems, but the problem that bothered me the most occurred when I contacted the manager about an airport shuttle back to the airport. He had offered to arrange one when we arrived. I told him that I would get back to him later. A few days beore our departure, I called the manager and indicated that I had seen a number of places that offered an airport shuttle for 5 Euros per person. Could he match that? He indicated that he could, so I gave him the flight information, date and time. He told me when to be ready and to leave the fee, 80 liras, on the kitchen countrer the day before departure. After I hung up, I spoke to my spouse about the amount, was 80 lira equivalent to 10 Euros (for the two of us.)? He looked on line and found that 10 Euros is about $13.00 USD which is about 26 lira. I called the manager back, and he said well that is for a shuttle, he was offering a taxi. This is not what was discussed in the first conversation. The manager should have been forthright with me and said no, he could not match 5 Euros per person. His attempts to explain away this discrepancy were weak at best. I do not mind someone trying to sell his product, but I do mind him not being forthright about it. Given this treatment, I cannot recommend the Istanbul Suite Home to family or friends or anyone.

Despite the above, I can say the apartment has a good amount of space, an adequately equiped kitchen, a close proximity to the major attractions, strong air conditioning, and a nice roof top terrace for all guests to use.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Seala_12
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Very comfortable and clean with lovely sunny living room overlooking the Sea of Marmora. Excellent transfer service from chaotic airport. Fresh bread, water and vegetables in shop opposite. Ten minutes walk to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and the tram. Many excellent restaurants nearby. Overlooks Sinan's masterpiece, the the Sokullulu Mehmetpasha Mosque. Well worth a visit but only open after 11am. A brief encounter with riots in May did not put us off. All over 60 - steep streets and stairs not a problem. Unanswered bell on arrival, so need to have phone available for contact.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The location is close to the center of Sultanahmet. The apartment itself is modern, spacious, clean and well equipped. Beautiful shared roof terrace.There is a grocery store across the street. Very nice and helpful employees. Great for families!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This apartment was wonderful!
Pros:
- location is close to center of Sultanahmet and the tram that takes you anywhere you need to be
- great wifi
-grocery store across the street with super sweet employees and great food for breakfast that you can make at home in your wonderfully stocked kitchen
-good size, we had 5 people, one slept on the sofa/couch and was comfortable
- very large bathroom with great shower pressure and warm water
-airport transfer what on time and conveninient
-they clean your apartment every other day
-adorable rooftop terrace
- amazing price for what you get, I don't know if I am ever going to stay at a hotel ever again!
Cons:
-if you re traveling with with anyone who is older or can't walk easily the trek up to the main street is quite steep and if you are on a top floor, its a steep climb up the stairs as well, but they do have a handrail
-the apartment feels like it is embedded in a Mosque because you can hear the call for prayer LOUD AND CLEAR!! if you are a light sleeper, actually even if you are a heavy sleeper bring some earplugs!
Overall, from the beginning to the end I wouldn't have picked anywhere else. Yuksel was always prompt to return my emails prior to the trip and Burhan was available by a free local call on your apartment phone if you needed anything. One of the days our phone wasn't working so the guys at the grocery store called Burhan for us and they came and fixed it.

Room Tip: Our room was Delux apartment 5 which is the one on the top floor and has a wonderful view! but it is...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I learned about Istanbul suite home through trip advisor where they didn't have an option to book through Expedia so I check the website for prices and emailed them. Yuksel the gentleman who was responding to me by email was quick to answer and very polite. When all reviews on here were excellent and many said that photos are the same as reality I decided to book. When we arrived to the airport it was nice to find that someone was waiting for u. It was a taxi service booked for us trough the Managment ( complimentary )
When we arrived the main door of the building was locked after 5 min a women (responsible for cleaning) greeted us and told us burhan ( out go to guy while our stay with anything regarding the appart) was on his way. They showed us the room and yes the photos is exactly what u see on their website. I booked appart 1 that has the small garden. Then they asked us to wait on the terrace that I have heard so much about on here so that they can clean the room. The terrace was amazing. And we waited for like 1 and half hours and went in to settle. The apart was spotless and very comfy and excellent for a family stay and wayyyyyyyy more convenient than a hotel that's for sure. The balcony is greatttt we spent most of our mornings and late night Coffe there. They clean every other day. But the maids don't do dishes or beds or bathroom. so basically they take the garbage out and do a quick mobbing am guessing. Burhan got us some fruits milk and some flavored yogurt for my baby and an amazing box if toys and a high chair those two things were much much much appreciated. The appart is like 7 min away sultanahmet front yard. If u wana use the tram ( only use public transportation no need for taxis) the cemberlitas station is near but it's a steep hill to climb.
We had two problems in the appart that burhan directly came to handle. The water went out completely for a couple of hours but burhan kept in coming in and out tryin to fix it and he did after a while.but the day we were going back home we couldn't take a shower coz the water went again. The other thing is that for some reason water came out the drains of the bathroom and the balcony. We directly called burhan and he sent a Plumer and the cleaning ladies. Ilene went out and came to find the problem solved. Traveling with a baby is hard in general but staying in this apart made out stay much easier. He had the space to play and the crib they gave us was excellent.
I would defiantly stay here again next time I go to Istanbul.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Istanbul Suite Home is in an excellent location. It is just a short walk to the main tourist attractions at Sultanahmet. A small grocery store is conveniently located across the street, and several restaurants are nearby. This was our third time staying here, and it truly feels like our home away from home. The accomodations are modern, clean, and comfortable. My favorite place is the one bedroom on the bottom floor because it has a beautiful private garden - a peaceful oasis in the middle of the busy city. The proprietors thoughtfully provide a few staples, so that the weary traveler just arriving is not left starving or having to find groceries in the middle of the night.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends