“enjoyed our stay”

Sembol Hotel
Sembol Hotel
Ranked #345 of 1,081 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed at Sembol for 10 days. We enjoyed it. Quiet at night, except an occasional guest going to room late was heard. Room was clean and changed daily. Shower had good hot water. Breakfast was good and plenty to eat each day. Bed was comfortable. Staff was helpful for our needs: post office and shoe repair, Sembol is a very convenient location to the main places to see and very close to Metro stop to go anywhere. Safe location day or night. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a top floor corner room wtih nice air flow from window and good sunlight in the daytime.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank margaret h

Reviewed 15 May 2013

we stayed here for 3 days, was alright. Breakfast was nice (make sure u're not coming late, cos we thought they won't add more breads after 10am), clean room, perfectly located if u're into sightseeing, shopping and eating, of course! staffs were OK with english and helpful. A bit noisy if your room close to the closest alley and lower floor.
Be careful if you're asking for taxi from the staff or wanted to extend your stay. First, they probably will give u not so convienient room (They didnt show the room first, they just took your luggage to a different room, and almost charged with a different price as we first agreed on, and it's smell bad! and looks like it was someone else's shared room!!), plus a little pricey on the chartered taxi!
Would considered to stay again if there's no other option arround the area.

Room Tip: higher floors less noisy
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JustTravellingGeek
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Its a small nice hotel in the beyazit market area, just walking distance from beyazit Tram Station. Its in th middle of the market so if you plan to shop its good. Has a small terrace restaurant with a good view to the marmara sea. Its clean and the staff is helpful. This is walking distance from the historic places and the restaurants nearby are really good. Currency exchange is also very near ( with the best rates opposite the beyazit station. you reach the main road from hotel and turn right, the first excahnge is the one), Breakfast was reasonable.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are free here so dont worry, you can choose the room you like...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Chander_Gujral
Reviewed 27 April 2011

The hotel is very well located and very clean but you have to ask for the room on the 2nd floor and have some luck to have a vacant room close to your room.
The problem is the noise coming from the entrance/reception level and from the all rooms located around your room. You can hear all the bath's noise, tv's noise, noise from reception, heating system noise, other people conversations etc.. Other guests have similar problems.
The morning buffet was OK but do not try the brakfast coffe ( you may land up in a hospital). The room are small and you will notice the smelt of the cigarets. Some of the guest smoke inside the room and keep the door open for the room ventilation. Most of the hotel staff do not speak English.

Room Tip: Try to see the room before you take one.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank latawiec2
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Basically, the location was the best, 2 minutes walk from the tram station (Beyazit) and within a walking distance to the main sights (10 minutes).
Also the price was okay, 65 euros per nitght for a "double" room (reservation made through booking.com).
The hotel seems to be pretty new and is quite clean, I wouldn't say that you get what you would get in Spain for such price, but regarding cleanness, I would say that it's correct.
The not so good things...breakfast, no variety at all, really terrible coffee and not even a toaster to toast the bread.For those who need a good breakfast to start the day, that's not your place. For me it was enough, but I understand if people complain.
Second, extremely noisy rooms. At certain moments, I got the feeling that I was sleeping in the corridor. During the first night we barely slept few hours...the other four nights, we used earplugs cause it was simply unbearable.
Third thing, I booked a double room, but I'm sure they gave me a single room: they size was the smallest thing I have ever seen for two people, not even the ones at Ibis hotels are that small. What's more, the cleaning lady always "forgot" about the second set of towels and slippers...kind of weird.
The last thing that I didn't really like: I booked a price in euro, as I said 65 per night. I was forced to pay in Lira, which makes sense as we were in Turkey, but what it doesn't make sense is that the apply an exchange rate which is completely unreal. I ended up paying only 11 euro more, but I still don't find it fair.
One more thing, the staff of the hotel don't speak English, only one guy could really helped us when we needed it. That's not really a big thing, but some people may care about it.
In brief, I think that I could come here again, but only if I'm not able to find something better.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rubo82
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I stayed in this hotel for around 10 days in january 2010.

Location:
The hotel is 2-5min away from the grand bazaar. It is a perfect starting point for shopping or sightseeing tours. Public transport is also just 2-5min away. Around the hotel are mostly shops where you can find everything - even cheaper as on the bazaar.

Hotel staff:
I very much enjoyed my stay as the hotel staff was always kind and helpful. Thanks for the help with my package to germany and the help offered to buy a leather coat!

Rooms and restroom
My room and restroom got cleaned every day. In general the hotel was VERY CLEAN. Something which you do not necessarily get when travelling in other countries.

Hotel room amenities:
WLAN - ask for the password
Satellite TV

Breakfast:
The hotel offered a basic breakfast with bread, butter, cheese, marmelade, olives, tomatoes, sausages, water, fruit drinks, coffee. After a week I had the desire to have a little bit more variety. :-) So I tried the add-ons like i.e. omelett. The breakfast was always well-decorated and made with love.

Prices:
As I travelled during non-season times I got a cheap price of 30€ per night. No idea how much it is during summer times.

When I return to Istanbul the next year I hope to stay there again!

Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2009

The location of Sembol Hotel is excellent, it takes only 2 minutes to Grand Bazaar by walking. The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Basilica Cistern, Topkapı Palace are all in walking distance.
The breakfast is delicious with the view of the sea of Marmara. I miss the breakfast, there are lots of special cookies, cakes, olives...
The staff in Sembol Hotel is wonderfull, they always try their best to help you whatever you want.
I definetely recommend this hotel to the travellers on an avarage budget for the holiday.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends