“Great value, an enjoyable stay”
Review of Aldem Hotel

Aldem Hotel
Ranked #127 of 1,090 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed alone at the Alaaddin Hotel the night before I took off for a weekend in Ephesus. I usually stay in Sirkeci but decided I would have a better chance of getting on the Tram to go to the airport with luggage if I boarded at Sultanahmet instead of Gulhane. I was right. I choose the Alaaddin because of the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor and its location (close to the tram stop). The hotel is around a block and a half off of Divan Yolu Caddesi and can be a bit tough to find. It does not have a large sign sticking out and is kind of hidden behind a tree. I actually walked right by it the first time without seeing it. That short distance is more than enough to transform the area to one of relative tranquility. The street in front of the hotel is quiet and uncrowded with several good restaurants within 50 yards.
The lobby is actually below ground level, you walk in the door and step down into the lobby. As I approached the door to enter the hotel, a young man jumped up from the lobby area swung open the door and grabbed my suitcase. That was the kind of service I experienced throughout my stay. The reception desk was just to the right. I checked in with no problems. The clerk was very polite and helpful. The same man who had grabbed my luggage earlier grabbed it again and guided me to the elevator at the other end of the lobby. We got on the small elevator (standard Istanbul size) and went up to the 5th floor. He opened the door to room 503 for me, handed me my key and asked if there was anything I needed. I smiled and said air conditioning. He ran over, shut the window and turned on the a/c. It worked great. The room was pretty good size with 2 double beds. The beds were firm but not too firm. There was a small TV on the wall and a small frig on the floor. I never used either so I cannot report on how well they worked. The bathroom was small but recently remodeled and very clean. The elevator only goes to the 5th floor. The breakfast room is on the 6th and they have a terrace on the 7th, so I went up the stairs to investigate. The stairs were almost right across from my room, I ran up to the 6th floor and saw a large breakfast room with windows all the way around for views of the city. I then proceeded up to the terrace. That was a surprise. The views were fantastic. The domes of Hajia Sophia and the Blue Mosque were unobstructed and the views of the Sea of Marmara were great. The view of the roof of the house next door wasn’t so great (they had a pigeon coop) but it was easy to ignore that and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Make a note to go up to the terrace at night when the domes are lite. It is breathtaking. Breakfast the next morning was good with several egg dishes to choose from as well as the traditional accompaniments. The service was excellent throughout my stay. The next morning it took me 4 minutes to get from the hotel to the Tram station for my ride to the airport. It was a good stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I preferred the 5th floor. That way I didn't have to wait for an elevator to go up to the terra...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank nuggetboy

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Pros: excellent location

Cons: no help or assistance offered (and I'm travelling alone with 2 v small children and a stroller!) I returned again a week later to Istanbul, and used the map as a guideline to choose another hotel at that same excellent position. The room was charming in its decoration, but somehow depressing. the family room was dark - very little natural light. Housekeeping made themselves scarse in my 2 night stay, so a little grotty. In fact filthy if you looked under the bed. The breakfast food was room temperature - even the fruit salad and meat - which doesn't feel right. So cereal and toast is all you can eat safely. Great views from the terrace on the rooftop, but not nice enough when you're up there to hover about. The lobby was also dark and creepy= inhospitable really. They took 100 euro a night when i walked in cold, which I was happy with and had no time to mess around b/c of the children. I saw a recent deal offer at $300. Don't do it! That would be just awful. It's a 'room only' experience ie location only.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MelbourneUAE
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This is an absolute gem of a boutique hotel. Easy walking distance to all major attractions with fabulous local "bistros' on door step; great value for money; clean and well appointed rooms; comprehensive breakfast; wifi in room and lobby; caring staff, with Mohammed being nothing short of wonderful. "Help yourself" tea and coffee in the lobby is a great idea. One can plan one's day over a cup of coffee in the cosy lobby before setting off, and unwind over a cup of refreshing apple tea after a day's of adventure before going a few doors away for a lovely dinner. The sweeping views of the Old City from the roof top are breath taking. Mohammed, Erdal, and all members of staff were personal and professional from the moment we made booking directly with them all the way to the moment they waived us farewell. We were a party of 4 and stayed in 2 rooms. We will definitely return to the Alaaddin in the very near future. A big thank you again to Mohammed and his staff for a memorable 3 days.

Room Tip: We were in 202 and 203 with both being very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Larry Y
Reviewed 21 July 2012

It is a small hotel in very turistic area, lively during daylight and very quiet at night.
I tried it twice, with rooms so different! Everything worked, including sat TV and free wifi.
The price was very reasonable and very affordable with respect to quality and location.
Staff very friendly and helpful. Definitevely to be recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank alb_motta
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute and i do not regret a single second of it. Yes some of the rooms are very small but who cares!! The hotel was great! I loved everything about it! The location couldn't have been more perfect. I was there for a week and would most definitely go back to Alaaddin. Mohammed, Erdal Kocer and the rest were all soooo nice and friendly, i fell in love with Istanbul and Alaaddin! Great hotel and staff members! Oh plus they cleaned rooms everyday so you get fresh towels and linens on a daily basis. Breakfast was good too, good variety. Great location! Great everything! I give it four stars because there's always room for improvement :-))

Room Tip: Triple room has more space. Singles are pretty small, prreettyy small but ok for someone who's n...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank G K
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Is a nice hotel in the heart of Istanbul, the major monuments are 2 steps away and bars&restaurants are all around. The rooms are cozy and clean although small. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is more than satisfactory. The wifi is available but very slow, however, there is a PC available in the lobby for free. In general the hotel is worth the money spent. I recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mac020176
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Small boutique hotel, ideally located. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Room is clean; disposable slippers are provided.
Free Wifi. Complimentary coffee/tea is available at the lobby.
There is a grocery store next door, that sells fresh reasonably priced local fruits.
The Cafeteria lady will very gladly make fresh omelettes for you for breakfast! Even though she can't speak English, her smiles will say it all.
Hotel is adjacent to restaurant areas;however you might want to walk to the main street, which is less than 5 minutes walk - there are even more choices for food outlets there. Hotel is about 10 mins walk to the Grand Bazaar.
Noted that there is a "Trip Advisor Cert" hanging on the wall. (picture attached)

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear end is near to the lift which will be slightly more noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple