“Don't expect too much sleep”
Review of Aldem Hotel

Aldem Hotel
Ranked #122 of 1,092 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed here for three nights, none of which provided a restful sleep. I have a good point of reference because I switched to a different hotel, also in Sultanahmet, and I had no noise issues there. The price of the new hotel was not much more.
Two of the nights around midnight, I could hear loud talking in the hallway. They sounded like they were right outside my door when in fact I think they were in the stairwell around the corner, their conversations echoing.
Next was the rooster waking up somewhere between 4 am and 5 am DAILY. Some nights there was intermittent dog barking. All in all, this was a noisy hotel. And I happened to get the room next to the elevator which added more to the disturbance.
As for other aspects of the hotel. Check in was problem-free and I was given a 2 minute run down with a map that was helpful.
The smaller rooms was not a problem as I'm not one to stay in a hotel when I visit a city. My problem was a lack of outlets. In my room, there was only one and it was already taken up by the wifi router. The only other plug was the one in the bathroom. So if you are looking to use a laptop while charging, better make yourself comfortable in the bathroom.
Breakfast buffet was decent. The rooftop terrace had a beautiful view of the Blue Mosque. I never got tired of looking at that every morning.
The big plus with this hotel was the location. The tram stop was a minute walk away. And truly central to all the sites in Sultanahmet. It made a great home base for when you wanted to take a breather between sites.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the elevator as possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank alexcga

Reviewed 10 November 2013

"Well, at least, our hotel is next to a very nice one..." is the first thought that came to our mind when we got there, party of 3 on a business trip.

But we didn't want to listen to our first, second and third impression in the hallway that functions as a lobby. Poor welcome is what followed a weird airport shuttle service, which we booked through the hotel at time of reservation, yet waited for an extra 45 minutes at the airport. We called the hotel, got transferred to the driver "I'm on my way"... Only to find out there is no dedicated driver that comes and picks you up. You are escorted outside the hotel and passed out to a bunch of guys who all seem to run a shuttle biz off the books... But ok.

The rooms were nothing like on the website. Crumbling walls, super small rooms, dirty sheets, flies... The trash bin in the bathroom was still full, which makes you rightfully doubt the rest had been cleaned.

Ugly hotel, we sure could do. Smile-free welcome, we sure could live with. Shady business was none of ours if it got us home. But a dirty room suddenly brings all that back on the table. No way. Took us one hour to find another hotel in the middle of the night, a legal taxi driver who was so nice. All in all for the same price, which we paid twice. Because the receptionist who couldn't be bothered to work so late had us pay the full stay.

One word of advice - book a chain and you won't be disappointed. This hotel is now a scam unless they renovate the house, the staff and the way they do business. And this is coming from an ex hotelier.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Sebastien C
seyfi, Manager at Aldem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

We are thanking all our guest for the review on trip advisor.

We are not agree with blow review:
We only want to explain same realty about this guest .The guest says ‘’ Crumbling walls, super small rooms, dirty sheets, flies... The trash bin in the bathroom was still full, which makes you rightfully doubt the rest had been cleaned.’’ We didn’t understand if the room was like that and the customer was take pic. from back site of the hotel. Why you didn’t put other pic. On trip advisor. I thing here is a big lie from customer not from us. Also we want to explain you the customer has use the room for 2 hours and he is complain about payment if you use same things same where else sorry but you have to pay for it.

Alaaddin hotel is running business since 2008 and we always be proud of our staff. If our customer checks our reviews you will know more about our staff.

Last think is transfer we have contact our travel agency about problem and they inform us that they were there on time. We are not sure about this situation but if our car is late we are really sorry about happen. The only thinks The Istanbul is a big city 22 million person is living here and it’s normal be late same where else a specially if you are in the traffic.

Best wishes and greetings from Alaaddin Hotel

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Alaaddin in late September. It is situated on a small side street, very quiet location, 3 minutes walk to the Sultanahmet tram stop, a short walk to all the major attractions in Sultanahmet yet the area does not feel touristy at all, with a small mom&pop shop right next to it, girl school in front, it felt real and very pleasant. Muhammad was at the desk, a very nice young gentleman who gave us all the explanation needed to go around + a map and some good advice/suggestion. Our room on the third floor faced the street and had a view into the front yard of a girl high school. It was fascinating to see them come in in the morning, all so quiet and disciplined, then they all came out and sang the anthem while rising the Turkish flag. There was also a small tree in front of our room, which I really loved and so did a pretty little cat who perched in it at night :-) Back to the hotel now: the room, although very pleasant in look, recently refurbished and very clean was also very small and did not have much room for our luggage. Loved the painted ceiling! The bathroom was also clean and renovated recently but also on the smallish side. My only critic was the smell in the room: they spray perfume every time the room is made and I just could not bare it. So we open the window very wide, put the fan on, asked the manager to tell the maid to stop putting perfume in our room. They stopped and eventually it was bearable. Other people might not mind at all but for someone with allergies it's awful. It's the reason why I did not give it 5 stars, that and the small size of the room. The mattress was hard but then in our experience they all are in Turkey! Otherwise, it is a very good little hotel with charm and good staff, great location, good breakfast buffet, great views from terrace and very quiet. Breakfast is on the 6th floor in a very bright, sunny and pleasant room with good views, a good selection and nice staff too. They also have a roof terrace on the open 7th floor with beautiful views of the Blue Mosque, the sea of Marmara beyond, the Galata Bridge, Beyoglu and more. It's especially gorgeous at night when the Mosque is all lite up. I would definitively go back to the Alaaddin but if I did I would ask them in advance to stop spraying the room with perfume! We also had a small problem with our toilet on the first day but Mohammad was very quick to come and fix it. He is a very pleasant and polite young men. A great choice for an affordable hotel in a quiet and very convenient location.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the third floor facing the street, it is still quiet plus you get some local activiti...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Hotel location is in the heart of the Sultanahmet area of the city and within a few minutes’ walk of the “Sultanahmet” tram stop. Many of the major sites and points of interest are within walking distance notably the Blue Mosque, Haghia Sophia, the Hippodrome and the Grand Bazaar. Hotel staff are warm, welcoming and very helpful, with the cleanliness of my room being of a good standard. The breakfast buffet was excellent with great views of the city from the dining area. In summary, the hotel was good value for what I paid and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank IndianaJonesA
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Alaaddin Hotel is located within a 5 minute walk of all the great sites in Sultanahmet. It is on a quiet side street within an easy walk to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, or the Grand Bazaar. A little further afield leads one to the water and the Egyptian Spice Bazaar. The tram is just one street away for longer trips.

The rooms in the hotel are small but clean with up-to-date bathroom facilities. The staff was very helpful in both of my visits, assisting with choosing from one of the many cafes in the area and explaining how easy it is to get around in Istanbul.

I highly recommend this great little treasure of a hotel. The view at sunrise of the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia is spectacular from the rooftop terrace.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the street may be a little noisier on the weekends. The rooms toward the back...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had the opportunity to stay in this hotel in May 2013. It was myself, my wife and our two children. The overall experience was very pleasant and all of us had a fantastic time in our stay in Istanbul. Like many other (boutique) hotels, Alaaddin is also located in a very prime location in Old Sultanahmet. It is literally walking distance to all the major and mainstream tourist spots i.e. Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia etc. In addition to that, there are several restaurants at your disposal to choose from when dining and the tram service is at your doorsteps should you choose to travel to further distances i.e. Galata Tower, Eyup Sultan etc. The hotel itself is very cozy. offers a decent view of the Blue Mosque from the open terrace on the top floor. Room service is spot on with no complaints, and breakfast is fairly reasonable offering a more light snack than heavy. The staff was very hospitable and my two year daughter left a lasting impression on all of them.

Room Tip: For people traveling with young kids, be sure to get a room that does NOT have a large window that h...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Muneeb S
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hotel arranged by our travel agent is to our delight. Small hotel, with a small room- with a view. Ample, clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is excellent, minute's walk to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, The Grand Bazaar and very close to tram station and rows of food joint. We also went to Cagaloglu Hamami and Hodjapasha dance theatre with the direction given by the staff. The roof top give a picturesque sight of Blue Moque and Hagia Sophia at dawn. The breakfast is great and delicious, but need a day to day variety since we stayed there for 5 nights, and start to get bored of the same selection.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple