“Great location, useless staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Istanbul
Chillout Cengo Hostel
Ranked #271 of 1,200 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Brisbane, Australia
“Great location, useless staff”
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

This hostel is in an awesome location particularly if you want to get away from the super touristy sultanahmet. Close to taxis, cabs and the main taksim area. The rooms are average hostel rooms. However, its expensive for Istanbul ($AUD2O) we found other hostels much cheaper. And the staff are useless. The lady at reception couldn't tell us where anything was - we asked for a travel agent, post office, the best way to see Gallipoli etc and she couldn't help us with anything

• Stayed July 2013

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I think I was expecting great things after reading the other reviews but I was a little disappointed. I'm not a massive fan of hostels but as long as the rooms are clean I don't mind. Our room ( we has the private double with own bathroom) smelt awful. The bathroom smelt of damp and I had to hold my nose every time I went in the room. The staff were really friendly and the Location is amazing as you are right in the middle of everything. You do have a lot of stairs to reach the reception so be prepared! It dies get very noisy at night and my partner and I could not get to sleep until 5:30 am every night because of noisy groups of people outside and a fight most nights on the street. I have stayed in lots of hostels before and I have to safe this is one that has put me off staying in another one for a long time!

Room Tip: Dorms looked a little better than the private room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This was a great place to stay in Istanbul. Lots of great food places around here as well. My girlfriend; her brother and I stayed in a dorm room. The only issue with the dorm room is that our room connected to the attic where people stayed as well. There were a couple of weirdos up there who repeatedly came up and down in the middle of the night and complained when we had the light on in the room at 9 pm. My only issue with the hostel was the tiny kitchen. It was hard to use if anyone else was in there and there wasn't much room to eat. The staff at the hotel was helpful.

Room Tip: Buy beer outside of the hostel it is cheaper.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Actually I stayed in this hostel in April of 2012 with my Aussie and Kiwi mates who were taking part in ANZAC Day ceremonies in Gallipoli. Upon walking in we met a very friendly owner who was apparently running the hostel with his wife Ms.Aysha. The rooms were kept good clean and the hostel enjoys a good level of security in my view. They have got a very good common area with beautiful paintings on the wall made by Korean artists I reckon. There's a bar called with a same name close to the hostel that you could hang out with your friends. After all I had a very good stay in that hostel and the only negative point which I observed during my stay was the Sunday night which was pretty noisy outside cos the bars and clubs in Istiklal road but that was still bearable and OK!
PS: The owner have got a very beautiful little girl named Lesim whom you will absolutely love! You must take pictures with that little angle ;-)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I can't recommend this hostel more. The place has a great atmosphere and the staff are really friendly. The place is kept spotless by a team of cleaners. The beds are especially clean and comfy (no cheap, lumpy mattresses).

Other big pluses are that it has free wifi (rare in Istanbul) and it is right beside one of the best supplied taxi ranks in Taksim.

I stayed here for one week when I first moved here and it's the first hostel I would recommend to friends.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I am crazy about travelling, as a rule i stayed at hotels, by the way i have visited different kinds of hotels, but this one i like most of all!
The stuff is highly qualified, smiling and affable, the rooms are so cosy and clean, the owner of the hotel (Timur) finds an approach to each client, what a kind and mindful person!
Next time when i will stay at this hotel without doubts.
Thanx a lot Chillout Cengo Hostel, and personaly thanx to the owner!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 13 February 2013

well as the title says it better if you are searching for reasonable prices a better-one hostel around Cengo Hostel may be the first one on the top list. friendly crew, above-medium cleanliness, easy-to-move-around location in istanbul, sure we will repeat our experience there, keep so lovely Cengo!!!

Room Tip: great location!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple