“Almost perfect...and I have some tips if you want to go on the cheap...”
Review of Titanic Port Hotel

Titanic Port Hotel
Ranked #262 of 1,134 Hotels in Istanbul
Erbil, Iraq
“Almost perfect...and I have some tips if you want to go on the cheap...”
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Great hotel - the room was large (maybe because we had a corner one), the bathroom was fantastic, the shower is large enough for 2, the toilet has a built in crack washer (I need to put in one of those in my house!), and the window opens. This was key because the downside was that the furnace was on and my gal and I, well, we needed the AC. That's why the sleep quality is only 4 and not 5. Can you beat free WiFi?

The only food we had was Turkish coffee in the cafe and it comes with llocum (Turkish delight but you can also call a hot chick llocum or your sweetheart llocum, etc.), and breakfast in bed which was fantastic. The room service was excellent and when we called for anything else, it came in less than 5 minutes.

The gym is fantastic. Plenty of cardio, free weights, and machines. I didn't go to the pool because of an ear infection nor did I try the spa because I wasn't allowed :(

This is a perfect hotel if you plan on doing Istanbul on the cheap. Even though both my girl and I make very good money, we don't like to spend a lot unless we have to.

First, you can easily take the train there from the airport, but the taxi is very convenient - next time I will go via train when I'm alone.

Second, if you want good Turkish food, it's all around within walking distance and very cheap. We never paid more than 30 Lira for a meal with drinks and salad. Every Turkish restaurant is a sit down restaurant and not fast food like in the US. They grill things fresh, the veggies are fresh, the bread is fresh, so even when you go to the mall food court, it is a GREAT meal. There are 2 malls right next to the Titanic that have scores of great Turkish restaurants, and across the street is a huge shopping area of town that has a lot of good restaurants.

Third, Migros, this is a grocery store in the basement of both malls. You can save on the 8 Lira per bottle of water at the hotel by buying the 1 Lira or less at Migros. We also bought a kilo of Baklava which lasted the 4 days we were there, and it was heavenly. Everynight with tea - you can pick a variety there at Migros.

Last, the train - if you've ever taken taxis in Istanbul, the traffice sucks and the cost is high and the drivers never speak any English or don't understand very well the Turkish that you've learned. The train is the way to go as it costs 1.5 Lira to board, so getting to all the sites at Sirkeci is a breeze. From the hotel, walk to the end of the 2nd mall, take a left, and go until you see the train tracks (maybe 3 or 4 blocks total). Go up to the booth and ask for however many tokens you want (1 token = 1 ride like the subway or el). Take the train heading east and stay on until the last stop at the Sirkeci station, and you are within walking distance of all the sites. If you eat at a restaurant there versus at Bakarkoy, you will see the difference that tourists pay on food - 3 times as much!

Oh, I guess I should mention the shopping because my girl is a shopping pro, and she was in heaven here between the 2 malls and all the Turkish shops across the street. She bought me a Pierre Cardin blazer for $100. If you foreget anything, you can get it in this mall. I will be booking at the Titanic everytime I travel through Istanbul.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jammer1226

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneseo, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Titanic Port hotel is conveniently located by Istanbul, Ataturk airport, shopping, restaurants and the water. Staff is very professional and helpful. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. I stayed at this hotel once in October 2010 and once in January 2011 and quality of service was excellent. Breakfast is superb so buy it with your room! I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
MUC
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I was invited to Istanbul and they booked the hotel for me.
I was totally surprised about the hotel and its quality.

Room was rather small, but I believe that was due to the category I was booked in.

Hotel has free WiFi throughout the house and it has a good reception and speed.

Food in the restaurant on 12th floor is nice with a good warm service. Didn't get to see the invoice though.

Breakfast is huge and offers local specialities as well as European/Western style breakfast. Eggs are made to order.

Biggest Plus is the huge Spa and Sports Center. Modern machines, various gym rooms, even spinning is offered. A traditional Hamam and steam rooms and Sauna are offered as well as a big pool. I was totally surprised when the elevator door opened and I saw the total size of this place. It is just huge!!!

Hotel is located in a calmer site of Istanbul, but has a brand new huge upper class mall right next to it.

Driving time to airport is less than 15min by taxi

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mucben
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 3 January 2011

It is located in one of the main shopping areas of Istanbul. The rooms were excellent, really spacious had a good view of the Sea of Marmara. The Bathrooms were really good and were stocked with good toilteries. The Continental breakfast was served in arranged in a spacious restaurant. Service is definately fast and staff respond well and are very friendly. Service quality is one of the best I have seen in Turkey

A must stay in Istanbul

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I was only supposed to stay here for a night, which was disappointing, because I wanted to stay longer. So far, this is the best hotel I've stayed at so far in Turkey. Because of it's prime location in the city, I expected it to be good and my wish was granted. The lobby was cramped after all of the luggages were put there. (I was going with a tour group) There was hardly any space to walk in but the lobby was delightful and grand enough.

Rooms were impressively decorated. They were pretty, classy and very excellent looking. Bathrooms had basic necessities like shampoo, soap, cotton buds etc. The room was a pleasure to sleep in, and also had a view of the city. They were spacious and comfortable.

The breakfast was great, my omelette was delicious, and the pastries were baked to perfection - crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Their orange juice was freshly squeezed and not from a carton, and this fact made me even more pleased.

• Stayed December 2010
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 2 December 2010

This was the second time that I was for business in Istanbul. After having stayed in the Wow hotel first, see my review of that hotel, I luckily stayed now here. Main reason for that; the bed. This one was nicely soft....the way I like it.
As you have noticed from the title my wife didn't like the soft bed that much....

The room is nice and big, a comfortable bathroom, and you can open a window to let the sea breeze get in.
The buffet breakfast gives a lot of choice, and I found this also better than in the Wow.

As I was away most of the day and my wife stayed she had a bit more experience with the hotel itself. She also confirms the complaints about the reception staff. She had bad experiences, but also good ones; the last day they allowed her to stay until 1500 in the room as our flight was only at 1900.
Also their advice on where to go where in the end correct, but the way it was delivered could be better. Probably because of a lack of English....or her Turkish ;-)

I particularly liked the free internet, a rare thing amongst these high ranked hotels. The fitness was liked by my wife, and also being next to 2 shopping-malls was much appreciated.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Titianic Port Hotel is a new, very clean hotel with excellent service. It is near two shopping malls, ATMs, and the water. My room was big, with all the required amenities including in-room safe and minibar. Internet access was available in the room as well as two computers in their business center. It also has a nice bar (with expensive prices though). Restaurant food was very good. Bathroom very clean. Only downside is that it is not particulary close to the traditional major sightseeing attractions of Istanbul. Taxis are easy to get however, and if you are looking for a nice stay close to the airport, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business