“A wonderful place to stay.”

Grand Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #254 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Melbourne, Australia
“A wonderful place to stay.”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We went to Istanbul with the purpose of celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in style,comfort and a little exotica. Staying at the Grande Peninsula fitted the bill and having Ramazan to guide us, we were able to organise some wonderful day trips and outings such as to a couples Turkish bath and to see Didem who is Turkey's most loved belly dancer. We had lots of interesting discussions with Ramazan and Sebol about Istanbul cultural life which enriched our experience of the city. We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room that looked out on the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We spent 5 nights here in October 2013 during the first stage of our honeymoon. It is not a fancy hotel, but the rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is quite friendly. It is also quiet - the only time we were woken up by the call to prayer is the night we left our window open by mistake. The location is also fantastic, being just a few blocks from the main Sultanahmet attractions, and the view from the roof patio is well worth the climb. For the price, we really couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
AZ
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed at the Grand Peninsula for 8 nights and I liked it so much I rebooked it for another 3 at the end of my Turkey trip. The staff was really friendly and they made me feel like I was coming home after a day of touring. Ramazan often had classical music playing in the background in the lobby which was soothing after coming in from the busy streets of Istanbul. It made for a nice environment to sit and talk to other travelers about their day or to the staff who you could engage in conversations about literature, music, philosophy.

I had the hotel arrange my airport transfers for me from and to Ataturk airport. This was my first time in Turkey and didn’t know what to expect. I was happy to find someone there with my name on a card to take me straight to the hotel. It was worth the 20 Euros I paid which I think is very reasonable for a private transfer. Upon arriving at the hotel check in was quick and easy and they took my luggage upstairs to the room for me. When I left they came up for my luggage and the return transfer was just as easy. It took no more than 45 minutes to get to the airport.

I had a comfortable room with double bed upstairs on 4th floor. I enjoyed the view from the small balcony of the cobblestoned street and all its activity. The room as all the hotel was extremely clean.

The woman who puts out the breakfast is very sweet and friendly. She always had a big Good Morning and she knew how to make my coffee just how I liked it after the first day.

The location of the hotel is easy walking to the attractions of Sultanahmet and I especially felt it was a safe area. All in all this is a gem of a hotel especially made so by their staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The location is excellent in terms of being very close to the main tourist attractions (Blue Mosque is 5 minutes away) and close to a tram stop (10 minute walk to Sultanhamet stop).

However, the traffic is horrible in this area and we had two horrible experiences coming from and going to the airport. Both of our flights were in the Sawiha Gokcen airport on the asian side. When we arrived we decided to try to save on the 60 euros that the hotel asks for the airport transfer and took the Havatas bus to Taksim square. This was not bad at all. Cheap and comfortable. We then took a taxi to the hotel from Taksim. I had even printed a zoomed in google map with the location of the hotel but still we were unlucky and were ripped off by a taxi driver who not only charged us way more than what was originally agreed but then dropped us off in the middle of a very busy road and very far from the hotel. We decided then to use the hotel transfer on the day of our departure. Like I said traffic is insane and it took us 3 hours (Yes, three) to get to the airport from the hotel. This caused some disruption to our travel plans but the staff from the Peninsula hotel were extremely friendly and helped us sort it all out.

We had a triple room in the lower ground floor. Even though it looks out to the street the windows seem to be soundproof and we were able to sleep very well. We were a bit cold the first night but the following nights we just turned on the heater and asked for duvets, which were clean and looked kindda new. The room was not very big but it was very clean, especially the bathroom.

The view from the terrace in the morning is nice but although the lady serving the breakfast is very nice the food options are not amazing. We stayed at 3 different hotels in Turkey and this was definitely not the best breakfast. It's not bad, but just ok: there is more to turkish breakfast than tomatoes, cucumber, yoghurt and some olives.

Near the hotel we had dinner at Palatium and it was delicious and not too pricey (Try any of the pides) and lunch at dubb asian which was also very nice but a bit more expensive.

Overall, it is a nice hotel with a good location. I don't think you can do better for that price in Istambul but don't expect to be blown away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank luimart
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed at this great 'pension' which was pristinely clean,secure and safe for a solo female traveler. It is perfectly located within walking distance of all the tourists sights you would want to see in your first four days as well as the tram which was easy to use to get around the city. I had arranged for them to pick me up at the airport, and they were not there. After more than a few panic filled moments, I went to a tour booking kiosk in the airport and they called the hotel for me. The van was still in the airport and they came and got me.
I had originally booked at the Hannedan Hotel, which is a sister hotel, but I was told my room was unavailable and they had switched me to their sister hotel. When I arrived, they tried to put me in a basement room with a single cot, no tv and a window that i would have been unable to reach or fit through in an emergency. After I refused it, New York City style, they put me in a lovely room, flat screen tv and a great mattress.
I was pleasantly surprised by the accomodations at the Grand Penisula. It is not an American style hotel;there is no elevator and the lobby consists of a sofa and a chair. But after a night, it felt like home. When I returned in the evening, I was greeted by name, and asked how my day was. I met other travelers staying at the hotel, and shared meals and experiences with them, particularly at breakfast which is served on a terrace with a great view of the Bosphorus. I would definitely stay at this 'pension' again. ( BTW, Istanbul is an easy city to get around. They have a great public transportation system. The tram goes to all the sites and has a clearly marked map. Most tourist sites have audio guides. I don't think it is necessary to sign up for guided tours. But if you plan to be in Istanbul for more than three days, invest in the Fodor's guide to Istanbul.)

Room Tip: The basement rooms are horrid. There is no elevator. I stayed on the top floor and the first floor...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Eppstein, Germany
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Great location, only 5 minutes to Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, etc.
Extremely helpful receptionist Ramazan and Sabahattin, with whom we could always have a nice talk as well, be it about football, philosophy or just an ordinary recommendation about restaurants, sights etc.
Very nice terrace, good breakfast, clean rooms, good value for money. Shuttle service got arranged as well from them.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Klaus Z
amsterdam
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed a total of 4 nights in this hotel-very friendly welcome and good information about where to eat, etc. Rooms were comfortable and quiet, and the breakfast on the rooftop terrace was typical Turkish with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, Turkish cheese, and lots more. Good view to the Blue Mosque and Sea of Marmara as well. For our travel needs we were referred to Bonita Travel near by, very helpful and friendly staff there as well. They booked some great tours for us during our stay in Cappadocia.

Room Tip: rooms in the back may be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends