“Nice quiet spot in Sultanahmet”

Grand Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #259 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We originally booked at the Hanedan, which is a block away, but we were given two rooms instead at the Grand Peninsula, a sister hotel. The rooms were pretty good. They were not very spacious but the furnishings were tasteful and the bathroom was great. The pillows weren't comfortable though and we had difficulty controlling the a/c. The hotel is located in Sultanahmet, but it is conveniently tucked away from the district's bustling, noisy streets. The Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia are just about 5 minutes away by foot and everything you need like convenience stores, restaurants, travel agencies, banks and souvenir shops are just a few steps up the road. I was just pretty disappointed since I had hoped that the roof deck, a feature all hotels in the district seemingly have, had no view of the Blue Mosque, but it had a sweeping view of the Sea of Marmara. The view was the reason I booked at the Hanedan. Nonetheless, given its price, location, quality of rooms and service (the main desk guy, Ramazan, the cleaners and the lady stationed at the breakfast area were all kind, helpful and spoke superb English), Grand Peninsula is worth the stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank horacecima
There are newer reviews for Grand Peninsula Hotel

Reviewed 24 May 2014

- Excellent very helpful & pleasant Reception Staff
- Efficiently run throughout
- Comfortable rooms cleaned daily
- Excellent breakfast on roof terrace. Very pleasant helpful lady organises breakfasts
- Situated in a quiet side street but close to the main cultural attractions
- Would certainly stay again & recommend highly
Would also recommend the Tria Elegance Restaurant for lovely meals & a no hassle approach to attracting customers - unlike many!

Superb stay, would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ChesterMichael
Reviewed 17 May 2014

What a great location in Istanbul, very nice place very close to historical landmarks and restaurants, excellent hotel staff for vital information, I would go back there on a heart beat....Long Point, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia... traveler....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked a room at Grand Peninsula Hotel when I visited Istanbul early May.This hotel was recommended to me by a friend couple from the US who really enjoyed their stay there last year and I am really greatful for it.
The place is very convenient to visit all the touristic spots in Istanbul. The hotel is charming, located in a very safe area and quiet street close to the Blue Mosque and tram station.
The roof terrace where the breakfast takes place is really enjoyable with a great view to both the Marmara sea and the shores of the Bosphorus.
The room was big enough, clean and confortable. The staff is really nice, helpful and gives very good tips to discover the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We booked a room at the nearby Peninsula Hotel a few months before our stay, and the booking process was already very professional and prompt. We asked for airport transfer, which was very efficient both ways, with a comfortable van and very friendly drivers.

On arrival to town, we were told that we had been moved to the sister-hotel, the Grand Peninsula. This was in an even better location, so we were quite happy, despite the room being on the ground floor and smelling a little bit moldy. It was fine overall, until we saw that the rooms on the floors were much nicer, with balconies.... so we were a little bit disappointed. This hotel is slightly pricier than the other one, but we paid the prices we had originally been quoted in the reservation, including airport transfer, which I found to be very professional, as it had been the hotel's decision to move us.

The staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly, they gave us very useful tips and information about the city. Breakfast was plentiful, and the lady who served it lovely. The rooftop was nice too with good views, though I missed the hammocks the other Peninsula Hotel had promised.

The location could not be better, it's walking distance from everywhere, and much quieter than the other Peninsula Hotel seems to be.

Overall a very nice hotel, I definitely recommend it. Thanks to the staff for being so helpful and lovely.

Room Tip: Try to go for rooms which are on the floors and face inwards, they have nice balconies.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AmP243
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had a large double room which was spacious, clean & comfortable with a useful fridge and free safe. No view from room but that was fine with us. The roof terrace are very pleasant and does have good views. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was standard Turkish style (fresh breads, jam, cheeses, boiled eggs, biscuits) and was a good start to the day. The location of this hotel is excellent, walking distance from all the sights in Sultanahmet and bazaars and near to tram stops to access other areas.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LindaG79
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel on April 3-12. I originally booked a five-night stay, but opted to book an additional three because I felt so at home. Staying in Sultanahmet was a far better option than finishing out my Istanbul stay in the extremely gritty New City. I would encourage other foreign women traveling alone to stay at the Grand Peninsula Hotel. I felt at ease using the hotel's recommended airport shuttle. Ramazan was extremely helpful during my stay and was more than willing to answer my questions about Istanbul and life in Turkey. On my first night, I was especially impressed that Ramazan offered me tea along with an orientation of the city, and then took me a ten-minute walking tour of the hotel neighborhood before leaving me at a great restaurant on his way home for the day. I really appreciated this gesture as I was extremely jet lagged and out of sorts after a ten-flight from Washington, DC. I also enjoyed the breakfast offered by the hotel, and the kindness and helpfulness of the entire staff. I highly encourage you to stay at this hotel, provided you leave a room for me! :) -Joyce

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo