“Hidden gem indeed”

Ranked #256 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Tokyo, Japan
“Hidden gem indeed”
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel at the end of October 2010 for 1 night, alone (my husband and I had different flights, I arrived 1 day earlier and my husband's hotel arrangement that was taken care of by his office did not cover it, so I had to find another hotel for 1 night and thank God I found this hotel).

I booked through their website and I was happy with their prompt replies. The pick up service at the airport was worth it. I only paid EUR15 and the driver was very nice and helpful. The car was ok and it took less time to the hotel than I expected. He also suggested me a money changer with better exchange rate.

I got room 502, it was a large double room. The room was spacious with lots of drawers. It's enough to 'hide' my things, including my medium luggage. The drawers were great. The room also had a refrigetor, a flat screen TV, AC with heater etc. The room and the bahroom were spotless and I am not exaggerating :).
Warm water ran well. View from my room was the backyard though, but I didn't go to Istanbul to stay inside my room. So it's not a big deal at all. The hotel staffs and manager were very nice, helpful and informative.
At night, it was really quiet, so I can sleep well. There are lots of restaurants near by and the neighbourhood is safe for a woman to walk around alone at 9pm.

In the morning, the breakfast was great with lots of variety of choices, and the 2 ladies in the kitchen were so sweet.
From this hotel I walked to Blue mosque, Hagia Sofia, Hipodrome, Topkapi, Basilica Cistern etc. For me, no taxi nor other transportation required. For more distant tourist spots such as grand bazaar, spice bazaar, Galata, Dolmabahce Palace etc, I suggest you to use tramway. The nearest station is Sultan Ahmed (near by, there was this money changer I talked about earlier). It costs 1.5 Lira for one go, no matter how far.

I think my room is amazing for EUR 60 per night (in their website it was listed EUR 80, but actually it's only EUR 60 if we pay cash, awesome!).
I definitely will be back and suggest this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank elpuri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2010

A friend and I spent 12 days in total in Istanbul staying at the Grand Peninsula. This is a great place to stay, wonderful value,very clean rooms,great breakfasts and lots of help with travel plans...but the best part of the hotel are the people working in it. Everyone was so fantastic and not only helpful but very engaging and interesting..we were there during the referendum and our knowledge of many things about Turkey increased greatly in our talks with Ramaza,Ruhat and Daniel...all in a very positive way! We would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling thru Istanbul!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank janfromvan
London, England
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Almost all the hotels on offer in Istanbul appear to be located in Sultanahmet. The area is close to the big three attractions - blue mosque, aya sofia and topkapi palace - however it is limited for eateries and bars and we found ourselves travelling to the labrynth of bars and restaurants around the Gelata Tower each night. This is a short tram and fenicular ride from the main square but it's good to be aware that there is some travel involved if you don't want to be left with the limited selection on offer in Sultanahmet. The hotel Grand Peninsula was reasonable value (not cheap, but average for the city) and we were very pleased with our room which was simple but modern and clean. There is an excellent roof terrace which you are free to take your own drinks up to (there is a fridge in your room) and the morning breakfast, served on the roof terrace, is excellent with wonderful home made yoghurt. Overall I would recommend the hotel. One tip would be to ignore the hotel staff's recommendation for an alternative and authentic hamam as we found it to be something of a health hazard - stick to the recommended hamams in the lonely planet.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Angleterre60
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Stefano and Laura from Italy. We have been at Peninsula for 3 days ( 2 nights). The hotel is very well positioned, very close to all the major attractions, but in a quite small street not noisy at all. We got a large double room, very nice and clean with all the facilities, bathroom confortable and clean with a big shower box. Breakfast on the roof top is something to try, good food and a beatyfull view. People are very nice and kind, they help you for everything you need,they like to talk to guests expecially the guys at the reception ( Ramazan, Daniel, and Ruath ) that are really friendly.
We can say we had a very pleasant stay in this good little boutique hotel; also the price for the room is OK if you consider the quality of service and the position of the house.
We can surely recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lo_zio_ste
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We recently stayed in the Grand Penisula for 8 nights. They have very reasonable prices and several rooms with balconies that have good views of the sea. Complimentary breakfast was delicious served on a rooftop terrace with beautiful views. This hotel is close to everything in the historic Sultanamet area. We found the advice and trip planning help invaluable from Daniel the manager. We enjoyed our stay in this lovely city and will return to the Grand Peninsula Hotel!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank fishfun10
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Great little hotel within walking distance of a number of major attractions and just around the corner from a fun (albeit touristy) street filled with restaurants and shops.

My single room was tiny (eg. Two twin beds could not fit side-to-side even if placed against the wall), but sufficient for one person unless you prefer larger quarters. The room and bathroom were bothe new and perfectly clean.

The staff at the front desk were also friendly and always helpful if anyone had questions about the city.

• Stayed October 2010
6 Thank AllSignsPointNorth
Tadley
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I travel regularly to Istanbul and always stay at the Grand Hotel Peninsula. It is a fami;y run, good middle of the road hotel. Situated in Sultanahmet it is central to the main tourist sites all of which can be accessed by foot and for those further afield by tram. The staff at the desk, Daniel, Ramazan and Rohat are very welcoming and helpful. Advice and assisstance given when required. The rooms are spotless and the service at the rooftop terrace where breakfast is served is excellent. Transport from and to the airport can be arranged by the hotel staff prior to one's visit.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business