“Not a good Choice!”

Ranked #249 of 1,148 Hotels in Istanbul
Manama, Bahrain
“Not a good Choice!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

we spent 4 nights at the Constantine Hotel and do not think we will renew the experience!

I will start with the positive points:

1- we asked for a room with back side view, as we expected the front side to be very noisy, they gave us a choice between two rooms, we finally took the 2nd floor room.

2-Located in Sirkeci - Sultanahmet Area, so it is 5 mn. walking distance to Basilica Cistern, and max 8 minutes to Aya Sofia and Blue Mosque.

3- Gulhane Tramway station is at the door of the hotel, so you can buy the token and jump in to any destination you want in Istanbul. the tramway runs from 6 am to midnight.

4- Sultanahmet neighborhood is full of coffee shops and restaurants, so a great choice of food is minutes away from the restaurant.

5- Towels were changed everyday.

The Negative points:

1- Rooms are too small, the only way to open your bag is to put it in your bed.
2- If you are sensitive to the noise, you should avoid this hotel, because even the backside rooms are somehow noisy.
3- the Decor of the rooms is very old.
4- the beds and pillows saw better days.
5- there was a small fridge, which was supposed to be a mini bar, it had a list but was empty! we kept a bottle of water inside but it was not cooling even though it was plugged to electricity.
6- Bed sheets were changed only one time during our stay.
7-They have the worst breakfast ever! we took a tea the first day and for the balance days we were having our breakfast outside.
8- on the hotel website, you can read that each room has an iron and ironing table. we asked for the iron several times but each time same answer, it is with a guest, we will bring it to you but we did not get it for 3 days.

the day before we left, we told the receptionist that they are lying about the iron and that they should delete the statement from the hotel website. the guy promised us that we will get the iron and he did keep his promise. we got it around 30mn later.

At the time of leaving we were told that if we come back to the Constantine Hotel, we will have 10% discount. That is nice of them but I certainly won't come back to that hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tinhinen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Constantine Hotel is actually quite nice and a great value considering its location. It literally is just 7 - 10 minutes away from the Aya Sofia (Hagia Sophia) museum, Archaeological museums, Basilica Cistern, and Topkapi Palace. The hotel also offers a shuttle service to the airport, but they would like to be paid in Euros. At the time of our stay, it was approximately 7 Euros per person. We didn't have the correct value in Euros, but the hotel was happy to take the local currency as long as we paid most of the fare in Euros.

Upon our arrival, the host was very kind and welcoming. Our room was clean and a bit too small for two large luggages, but sufficient. The view from our room was into the rear courtyard - which was nothing special and looked quite gloomy. The room was equipped with an A/C unit, however, the batteries in the A/C unit's remote control were missing. We had to commandeer the batteries from the TV remote to power up the A/C remote control. The A/C unit in our room did not have controls on it, so the only way to control it was through the accompanying remote control.

The bathroom in our room (room 403) was clean, however, whenever we showered, the cracks in the shower floor would allow the water to slowly run into parts of the bathroom. This was not a major issue since we used a towel to keep things somewhat dry. There was a small glass shelf above the sink, but it had a large chunk of glass missing on the top surface. This lead it to have some sharp edges which I did convey to the hotel management team. I'm hoping they get that fixed soon.

Housekeeping was very quick and did a fairly thorough job of cleaning our room. On our last day there, they switched out our nice comforter for two twin size sheets. This was unacceptable since my wife and I were cold and could not comfortably sleep under the 'sheets'. Since it was our last night, I didn't bother to complain, but I do wish they would have simply given us a sheet that was the size of the bed - not two twin size sheets.

I have two complaints about this facility. The breakfast is nothing special. I often found maggots in the dried fruit and the bread tasted stale. Overall, the breakfast is enough if you want/need the calories, but I often leaned towards just eating out. The fruit juices offered at breakfast were terrible and tasted like flavored water - not juice. Second, the hotel charged my credit card twice. The first charge was acceptable since it was the charge that I agreed to pay when booking the hotel through Travelocity. However, the second charge was a complete surprise and luckily my credit card company asked me about the charge first and I had them decline it. I did try reaching out to the hotel to figure out why this happened, but I never received a response or a call-back. I don't think it was intentional, but I still want everyone to be aware of possible issues.

The nice touch at the end of our stay, as we were waiting for our shuttle, was the hotel staff offering us a parting tea or coffee - which tasted much better than the instant coffee/tea offered in the breakfast area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter. Room 403 had an A/C that worked very well and quickly cooled the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Constantine hotel. The location is perfect at the heart of sultanahmet. The staff were very helpful, especially Adem at the Front desk, he is great, he helped me with every question that I had!! The hotel is a cozy and clean place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Iran
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed 4 nights with my wife in this hotel, good location just in front of Gulhane Tram station, When we reached hotel received a warm welcome from reception guy 'Tuncay' with a nice Turkish tea. The rooms are clean and tidy with a beautiful painting above the bed. it is a little busy area specially you hear lot of tram horn and announces till midnight but it was OK for me. Breakfast is served at cellar floor which is decorated with ancient clothes and wheels. Breakfast is good. we received good advises from Tuncay how and visit our destinations. Most historical places are within walking distances,good restaurant around and beautiful Gulhane park in front.

Room Tip: Rooms on Street view are noisy with tram horn and announcement.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed 21 May 2014

It was my first trip to Turkey to Ref a Rugby Tournament, and my bag was lost at the airport in transit. Tuncay took it upon himself to ensure that my belongings were delivered to the hotel and it was a MASSIVE relief! I am VERY much looking forward to coming back again next year, and HIGHLY recommend anyone to stay at this hotel as well! It was an AWESOME experience, and I am thankful for what they did for me!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are a little noisy because of the trolley that comes to the front of the hotel, b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed 3 May 2014

when i got to the hotel at midnight i had no reservation but still the nice helpful Tuncay tried his best to help me and made me feel like home.it was a great experience of turkish hospitality. perfect location , clean rooms , and of course helpful professional staff specially Mr Tuncay would make this hotel my choice for another Istanbul trip

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Simply amazing hospitality. Perfectly located. Extremely helpful staff. Neat room. Perfect for a couple or a single traveler. Excellent food. Kebebs to die for. Special mention for Tuncay and Furkan. Great guys.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo