“I won't be going back” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #233 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“I won't be going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel has a great location right in front of the Gulhane tram stop. Other than that, it has little or nothing to recommend it. The interior is reminiscent of the fifties or sixties and standards have changed since then. The breakfast is poor: low quality food (dry sliced bread, oversweet jams, dry biscuits, Nescafé, teabags, powder apple tea). You can do far better elsewhere. The night porter is not up to standard either.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I loved this hotel. The location could not be better, the staff were professional and fun, the free breakfast was great, and the rooms were great for the price. Beer close to major attractions such as Hagia Sofia, Topkapi palace, museums

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is not to be missed . the hotel location is great in the middle of anything you want to see . the rooms are large enough to enjoy !but who had time to stay in the room we were always out from morning till evening .

The GM of the hotel is meeting each and every guest and welcoming them to his house. its really rare to see such GMs so helpful and have personalized service with his guests .
not to forget each and every member of the front office team (from the front office manager to the bell boy)all keen to make your trip something not to forget in your life time .
very friendly staff and keen to give all the information that you should know specially if its your first in Istambul.

Really its a trip not to forget . we will come back to turkey not because its beautiful and touristic but because of the staff at this hotel and we will definetly stay at Constantine hotel once more and more .

Again well done for a great team that you have and you should be proud
don't forget to send us the medie recipe

Room Tip: with Jaccuzi
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Potomac Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had a great time in Istanbul, and enjoyed my stay at the Constantine hotel. The staff were very helpful especially Adem. He helped me with every question that I had. the location was great as well in the heart of Sultanahmed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our family stay at the Constantine hotel. This hotel is about 3*, clean and in very central location. From the hotel you can walk to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque or another way to the beach. Around hotel are full of gift shop and restaurant. My room is a bit small but clean. The receptionist Mr. Tuncay was very helpful, other staffs are also very nice.
My parent arrived early and they invited them for breakfast even they can only have breakfast the next day. We appreciate this a lot.

My room's hot water has a small problem, sometime it is cold when I am having shampoo in my head, if hotel can improve this, my stay would be great.

They can also arrange our airport transfer (shuttle) but if you are 2 person, you better take a taxi to avoid waiting for pick up clients at several hotels.

Generally I am happy with this hotel

Room Tip: ask for the room in the back to avoid the noise from the tram station in front of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Manama, Bahrain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

we spent 4 nights at the Constantine Hotel and do not think we will renew the experience!

I will start with the positive points:

1- we asked for a room with back side view, as we expected the front side to be very noisy, they gave us a choice between two rooms, we finally took the 2nd floor room.

2-Located in Sirkeci - Sultanahmet Area, so it is 5 mn. walking distance to Basilica Cistern, and max 8 minutes to Aya Sofia and Blue Mosque.

3- Gulhane Tramway station is at the door of the hotel, so you can buy the token and jump in to any destination you want in Istanbul. the tramway runs from 6 am to midnight.

4- Sultanahmet neighborhood is full of coffee shops and restaurants, so a great choice of food is minutes away from the restaurant.

5- Towels were changed everyday.

The Negative points:

1- Rooms are too small, the only way to open your bag is to put it in your bed.
2- If you are sensitive to the noise, you should avoid this hotel, because even the backside rooms are somehow noisy.
3- the Decor of the rooms is very old.
4- the beds and pillows saw better days.
5- there was a small fridge, which was supposed to be a mini bar, it had a list but was empty! we kept a bottle of water inside but it was not cooling even though it was plugged to electricity.
6- Bed sheets were changed only one time during our stay.
7-They have the worst breakfast ever! we took a tea the first day and for the balance days we were having our breakfast outside.
8- on the hotel website, you can read that each room has an iron and ironing table. we asked for the iron several times but each time same answer, it is with a guest, we will bring it to you but we did not get it for 3 days.

the day before we left, we told the receptionist that they are lying about the iron and that they should delete the statement from the hotel website. the guy promised us that we will get the iron and he did keep his promise. we got it around 30mn later.

At the time of leaving we were told that if we come back to the Constantine Hotel, we will have 10% discount. That is nice of them but I certainly won't come back to that hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tinhinen
Davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Constantine Hotel is actually quite nice and a great value considering its location. It literally is just 7 - 10 minutes away from the Aya Sofia (Hagia Sophia) museum, Archaeological museums, Basilica Cistern, and Topkapi Palace. The hotel also offers a shuttle service to the airport, but they would like to be paid in Euros. At the time of our stay, it was approximately 7 Euros per person. We didn't have the correct value in Euros, but the hotel was happy to take the local currency as long as we paid most of the fare in Euros.

Upon our arrival, the host was very kind and welcoming. Our room was clean and a bit too small for two large luggages, but sufficient. The view from our room was into the rear courtyard - which was nothing special and looked quite gloomy. The room was equipped with an A/C unit, however, the batteries in the A/C unit's remote control were missing. We had to commandeer the batteries from the TV remote to power up the A/C remote control. The A/C unit in our room did not have controls on it, so the only way to control it was through the accompanying remote control.

The bathroom in our room (room 403) was clean, however, whenever we showered, the cracks in the shower floor would allow the water to slowly run into parts of the bathroom. This was not a major issue since we used a towel to keep things somewhat dry. There was a small glass shelf above the sink, but it had a large chunk of glass missing on the top surface. This lead it to have some sharp edges which I did convey to the hotel management team. I'm hoping they get that fixed soon.

Housekeeping was very quick and did a fairly thorough job of cleaning our room. On our last day there, they switched out our nice comforter for two twin size sheets. This was unacceptable since my wife and I were cold and could not comfortably sleep under the 'sheets'. Since it was our last night, I didn't bother to complain, but I do wish they would have simply given us a sheet that was the size of the bed - not two twin size sheets.

I have two complaints about this facility. The breakfast is nothing special. I often found maggots in the dried fruit and the bread tasted stale. Overall, the breakfast is enough if you want/need the calories, but I often leaned towards just eating out. The fruit juices offered at breakfast were terrible and tasted like flavored water - not juice. Second, the hotel charged my credit card twice. The first charge was acceptable since it was the charge that I agreed to pay when booking the hotel through Travelocity. However, the second charge was a complete surprise and luckily my credit card company asked me about the charge first and I had them decline it. I did try reaching out to the hotel to figure out why this happened, but I never received a response or a call-back. I don't think it was intentional, but I still want everyone to be aware of possible issues.

The nice touch at the end of our stay, as we were waiting for our shuttle, was the hotel staff offering us a parting tea or coffee - which tasted much better than the instant coffee/tea offered in the breakfast area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter. Room 403 had an A/C that worked very well and quickly cooled the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple