“Extremely well placed”

Ranked #654 of 1,047 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Extremely well placed”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Melita is a clean and ok place. The breakfast is fair, considering the price, the same is the hotel. The reason for us to recommend it, as we will do, is the optimal placement. It is situated 100 meters from the Aksaray station - the end station of the metro line directly from the airport. (It costs 3 lira the whole way). And it is near by the tram station, where the tram goes directly to the Hagia Sopfia - just a few stops.
The surroundings have a lot of small shops and street sellers, an outlet and a ware house. Some will say it is a bit scary with all those people around. But it is an Arabic quarter, I think, a light version of what you see in the Middle East, where we were going next. We never felt anything threatening there, just friendly people. We are a couple in our late fifties.

Room Tip: The rooms are small, with a separated shower and toilet, small, but ok. Just for staying in Istanbul...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Atle S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Bad things first:

- hard to find
- the area around is more of a poor, unclean suburb, but you may consider it exotic depending on what you re looking for
- breakfast is a bit poor

However:
The staff is friendly and helpful
The beds are comfy
Its close to Aksray metro and tram stop, so you are midway between Ataturk airport and Sultanahmet area

We took a quadruple room, it was a comfy night after all

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Azzigeorge
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

to far from sultanahmed.
From 10 pm, afraid to walk.
Poor breakfast.
The rooms are that small, that if you have a bigger lugage, you don't have where to put it.
No english at recepcion.
Nothing to do there, you have to walk to sultanahmet.. Grand bazar is at 1km.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Puia_Codrut

Travellers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The Hotel Melita was the worst hotel experience of my life. The first day of my stay I unpacked and then took a rest in my room. I a woke to a staff member knocking on my door. When I opened the door a 19-year-old boy tried to give me coffee, unsolicitedly. This was uncomfortable, but I just took the coffee and said thank you.
After that, the boy tried to push his way into the room and kiss me. During this attack, he also attempted to close the door behind him. I took great alarm to his actions! I yelled and pushed him out repeatedly. He continued to try to kiss me and touch me! I pushed him with all my strength to make him leave the room. Approximately ten minutes later he tried to reenter my room to retrieve the coffee. This is unacceptable!
I made the manager informed of this incident. The general manager paid no mind to my complaint and blindly sided with the staff member.
The incident was not captured on film, given that this took place in my room. I requested the manager to confront the staff member about this incident. Initially, the staff member denied what truly took place. But after thorough questioning, this staff member did in fact admit to his attempted violations. If he didn't admit, maybe no one would not take responsibility for the situation.
This hotel is the worst hotel in my life.
Please think carefully before choosing this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank mgmt_kid
Baku
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect. You can go anywhere by tram or metro. It takes 15 minutes from this hotel to Sultan Ahmet on foot. I liked the small restaurant in the hotel. There is free tea, coffee and juice in the lobby all day. There is also wi-fi in rooms. But I want to mention that air-conditioning is very bad in rooms, Breakfast is good.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I Last September I stayed in this hotel which looks more like a motel, unfortunately for my concept is the worst hotel or motel that I’ve been staying in my life.. I have no complaints about their employees, they do their job to please or satisfy its guests. Melita’s restaurant is the worst of the worst… and nothing to say about their meals because until the water had flavor to tea. (I noticed they did have really a restaurant, just few tables and chairs and the food is placed from somewhere.)
Hotel is located in a religious area does not fit for an open mind people, less for a women from a foreign country besides Islamic ones. The funniest thing that made me feel uncomfortable was that my tours guides always joked about this hotel asking me from where I got this horrendous hotel? And let me tell you the true…it’s horrible. Find some nice place to stay. Istanbul has more penniless and beautiful hotel. I really regretted don’t know before to be there. Enjoy your stay in Istanbul and say hello from me

Room Tip: Please go some where
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kaplar268
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The location of this hotel is it's strong point. It is within walking distance (read bag dragging distance) of the Arkasay railway station and the tramline to town. The rooms are averagly OK, not flash but clean and tidy. However, some of the rooms are quite small so ensure that you get a bigger room. Breakfast is OK, nothing out of the norm but enough to get you going for the day. There is wifi which we found worked well without dropout and free tea and coffee in the lobby.

It is in a run down part of town but it does not feel dangerous. There are a couple of small uninspiring pubs for the locals close-by - the beer was 5tl for .3litre. A rail/tram ticket is 3tl and there are automatic macines (in English) at the nearby train and tram stops.

Most of the city sites are accessibly via the tram.

Overall it met our (basic) needs.

We paid 59 euros a night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends