“Memorable food, a friend to vegetarians!”
Review of Cafe Rumist

Cafe Rumist
Ranked #21 of 14,390 Restaurants in Istanbul
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Description: All the Turkish hot and cold drinks, dessert, kebabs, pides, pizzas in a wood burning oven.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We at here at the end of May and returned just before we left Turkey in early June. The owner was welcoming and the staff incredibly friendly; they even remembered us our second time around! As a vegetarian, I often found menus in Istanbul limiting. But at Cafe Rumist the owner enthusiastically placed an order for me, a delicious, vegetable casserole baked in a wonderfully spiced tomato sauce I am trying hard to imitate now that I am at home. My boyfriend's dish, a lamb stew, was also by his accounts tasty. This is is a relaxed eating establishment that offers home-style cooking.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,629)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The experience was not up to expectations, one of the waiters was friendly and funny, but the food was bad compared to surrounding places. We ordered two main meals and mixed appetizers, and we got a single small basket of bread (that looks nothing like the bread they have on display everywhere).

We expected more from the place.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This restaurant is my favorite in Istanbul! The food is fresh, local, traditional, and delicious. As a vegan traveler going to restaurants can sometimes be a source of stress but all of the staff at Rumist were so accommodating and friendly that I never had to worry. Their menu has plenty of vegan and vegetarian options and everyone that I tried was delicious. The cafe became a mini home for me during my stay. Every time I would pass the restaurant the staff would offer me a friendly greeting and tea and ask me about my day. The Rumist will remain one of my favorite spots in Istanbul and the memories and friends that I made at the Rumist are the highlight of my trip.

1  Thank Jessica W
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just got off our Bosphorus cruise and we were searching for a good meal. Found this nice place and the owner was so accommodating . The waiter recommended some dishes and all were delicious. Lots of bread to satisfy. The owner had been to Arizona Nd talked with us for a few minutes. Overall a very nice experience!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I read many reviews about this restaurant before travelling to istanbul so I was really looking forward to eating here. Well I wasn't disappointed as Omar and Ebrahim (yes he does look like George Clooney) were very welcoming.

The food was excellent as was the service. One of the few restaurants in istanbul which doesn't serve alcohol which was important to us.

I would definitely go there again inshaAllah should I visit the city again..

2  Thank AGuest12380