“EXACTLY what a vegetarian needs in Istanbul”
Review of Cafe Rumist

Cafe Rumist
Ranked #11 of 13,596 Restaurants in Istanbul
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Description: All the Turkish hot and cold drinks, dessert, kebabs, pides, pizzas in a wood burning oven.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“EXACTLY what a vegetarian needs in Istanbul”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We enjoyed Cafe Rumist. The staff was very friendly, especially Harron (Harry), who enjoys practicing his English on the tourists. The place was clean and the food was very good. My wife and daughter are vegetarian and they were able to accommodate them. (Note: ask for the lentil soup without butter) There were a number of Turkish/Anatolian choices as well as pasta. My daughter enjoyed the vegetable tiles, my wife liked the veggie pide and I had the Guvec (a Turkish casserole with meat & vegetables). They also have pizzas that are made in their wood-burning oven.
It’s on a street full of restaurants and this one is at the very end so don’t be tempted to stop short when one of the hawkers asks you to try their food. Keep going and it will be worth the walk. The only downside we experienced is that they do not serve alcohol but they offered to let us sit at the bar across the street and bring our food over there. If there was not so much smoke, we would have done so. On our 5 day visit to Istanbul, we had dinner here twice.

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Memorable food, a friend to vegetarians!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We at here at the end of May and returned just before we left Turkey in early June. The owner was welcoming and the staff incredibly friendly; they even remembered us our second time around! As a vegetarian, I often found menus in Istanbul limiting. But at Cafe Rumist the owner enthusiastically placed an order for me, a delicious, vegetable casserole baked in a wonderfully spiced tomato sauce I am trying hard to imitate now that I am at home. My boyfriend's dish, a lamb stew, was also by his accounts tasty. This is is a relaxed eating establishment that offers home-style cooking.

“Poor experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The experience was not up to expectations, one of the waiters was friendly and funny, but the food was bad compared to surrounding places. We ordered two main meals and mixed appetizers, and we got a single small basket of bread (that looks nothing like the bread they have on display everywhere).

We expected more from the place.

Durham, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Istanbul Treasure”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This restaurant is my favorite in Istanbul! The food is fresh, local, traditional, and delicious. As a vegan traveler going to restaurants can sometimes be a source of stress but all of the staff at Rumist were so accommodating and friendly that I never had to worry. Their menu has plenty of vegan and vegetarian options and everyone that I tried was delicious. The cafe became a mini home for me during my stay. Every time I would pass the restaurant the staff would offer me a friendly greeting and tea and ask me about my day. The Rumist will remain one of my favorite spots in Istanbul and the memories and friends that I made at the Rumist are the highlight of my trip.

1 Thank Jessica W
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Pleasing atmosphere after cruise”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just got off our Bosphorus cruise and we were searching for a good meal. Found this nice place and the owner was so accommodating . The waiter recommended some dishes and all were delicious. Lots of bread to satisfy. The owner had been to Arizona Nd talked with us for a few minutes. Overall a very nice experience!

• Visited June 2014

Been to Cafe Rumist? Share your experiences!