“Ramazaan was the highlight!”
Review of Ipek Restaurant

Ipek Restaurant
Ranked #5,859 of 13,488 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Chicago, Illinois
“Ramazaan was the highlight!”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We are pretty obsessed with food--my work revolves around it... therefore we were not super impressed with their menu. What we ate was good, but our server. Ramazaan made the experience worth the visit. We made a friend that night!

Visited January 2012

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent !!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

lovely views and imaculate service must mention the waiter who was very very good both polite and helpfull

Visited November 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not the best food, but very friendly and authentic”
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My sister and I were wandering around Istanbul, wondering where we should eat dinner. In Istanbul, this is a fun game in itself, as hopeful waiters dash out to the street the second they see potential customers, and offer you samples, free drinks, etc. -- anything that will get you to come inside. When we got to Ipek, its cheerful proprietor immediately accosted us, promising us the yummiest delights that Turkish cuisine has to offer. We looked inside, but the main dining room is in a sort of half-basement, plus there was a private party of Turkish folks already in there. While they only took up a quarter of the restaurant, they seemed to fill the whole area with smoke, noise, and general merriment. "Why don't you sit outside?!" the host suggested. "Well," answered my sister, "We would, but it's too cold and I don't have a jacket." The host was shocked at this answer, saying "No no no! It isn't at all cold! And if you do get cold, I'll let you wear my own coat," pointing to his own black jacket which he was wearing. This was so endearing, we had to accept.

The food itself was nothing stellar, but still reasonably good. I asked for a recommendation, which was some sort of meat/tomato/eggplant dish which was very tasty though a bit on the greasy side. My sister had spaghetti with red sauce and vegetables. It was pretty skimpy on the veggies, but the dish was tasty enough that she ate every last bite. All the food was very fairly priced; that alone makes it worth walking a few extra blocks to get away from the more touristy streets to the south of here, where you'll pay twice as much for many of the same dishes.

And yes, my sister did get cold, and the host was true to his word and lent her his jacket. The poor fellow actually seemed to get quite chilly as he then had to flag down potential customers outside wearing only a thin t-shirt. But hey, that was the deal.

2 Thank Marywhotravels