“We did not enjoy our stay”
Review of Tunel Residence

Tunel Residence
Ranked #88 of 1,242 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We booked a room with a king size bed but received a standard room with two single beds(one smaller than the other). The room was so small that the two single beds took up the entire space. As we entered the room a bad smell was immediately recognized. We had to open our prison sized window for 2 hours for the smell to disappear. The washroom was so small and the toilet bowl had not been cleaned. The bed sheets had stains on them! We did not enjoy our stay and tried to stay out of the hotel as much as possible and came back only to sleep.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
12  Thank MTraveller22

Reviewed 19 October 2013

This review ought to give the Tunel Residence four out of five stars. It's well located, the apartments are fine and there's a nice restaurant attached.

So why the low score? As always, it's a case not so much of the problem encountered, but the way the hotel dealt with the problem. If they'd treated me with some respect, the score would have been better. Instead they chose to treat me and my family with contempt.

In our case, the AC was not working during our whole four night stay. The staff fobbed us off, pretended it was being fixed when it wasn't, told us it had been fixed when it hadn't, suggested we move to another room where the AC was also not working, etc, etc.

I had to fight to get two fans put in our room - eventually one noisy fan was provided on the day we arrived, a day later another one finally given to us for the living room, but only after I had to get angry.

One of the members of staff was very helpful (and seemed embarrassed at the way were were being treated). The rest pretended to be surprised each morning when I asked if the AC had been or was being fixed. 'You have AC problem?' was the generally surprised response from receptionists I had spoken to the day before - about our AC problems. Perhaps they suffer from some form of early onset Alzheimers.

We arrived after a long trip with a small baby to be ushered into an apartment that was swelteringly hot. It took the whole afternoon even to get that first fan, so instead of resting we had to sit there arguing and sweating with a screaming seven month old baby who couldn't sleep. Even though it was obvious the problem was with the central AC equipment on the roof, as the whole hotel was affected, they seemed to think I would be mollified by having a man come to my room and stand there staring blankly at the AC unit in the room, whilst giving off a pungent aroma of sweat and cigarette smoke.

I asked for some sort of compensation and we were, somewhat bizarrely, offered a massage.

The manager decided he was too important to speak to me on the phone and offered no discount, explanation or apology whatsoever.

Also, the website offers a free taxi pickup to and from the airport - there are two airports in Istanbul, however and the hotel doesn't bother to tell you that they only provide a free pickup from one and not the other. This ended up costing us about 50 Euros extra that we hadn't budgeted for.

Some friends arrived a couple of days after us and were sent to a place down the road due to the AC problems. The place they were sent to also had non-functioning AC.

So, nice location, but stereotypically awful Turkish customer service. I recommend you find somewhere else, because, if something does go wrong, the management of Tunel Residence could not care less and will be happy to take your money and run, ruining your visit to Istanbul.

Room Tip: Ask if the AC is working.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank redstar2000
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hotel is in a very convenient location, close to Galata. Apartments are very nice, exactly what you can expect from the web. We enjoyed very much the spa.
The main drawback was that the sofá-bed was very uncomfortable. Also, service could be more polite.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

OK I apologise for the very bad pun but it does sum up what's on offer here; some very good, fully equipped suites. Bedroom with desk & TV, plenty of storage space, a kitchen with washing machine, dryer & dishwasher, a dining area, a lounge with TV & DVD, a shower room. And all of recent vintage! Wifi access was very good. You could cook your own food with enough shops locally to allow you to buy as needed or eat at/order in from the excellent Big Chef restaurant which is on the ground floor. And someone comes and cleans it daily. What's not to like?

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BJSINV
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I, thoroughly, enjoyed my stay at the Tunel Residence! I stumbled across the hotel via a web search, and I chose to stay there because of its location and cost. Upon arriving and checking in, the hotel receptionist offered to upgrade my room choice from a single to a suite. Although I never saw the single room, the suite was SWEET! It had a BEAUTIFUL view out to the water and was VERY WELL appointed, inside. The staff was TREMENDOUSLY helpful to me, whcih is interesting, because I read many of the reviews on here about the poor service. Communicating in English was a bit challenging for some of the staff, but we were always able to circumvent this minor issue. Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel when visiting Istanbul!

Room Tip: Take advantage of a meal in the restaurant, or order room service; the food is EXCELLENT! And, if yo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Thurman M
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

We took the cheapest room of the hotel. The room was small for two persons with two luggages. However, room was very clean, hotel staff was very nice with us, and the stay in the hotel was very nice. They also have a nice cafe downstairs where you can have a nice breakfast or lunch (we did not have dinner there). I would recommend the hotel and room for the price we paid.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 4 July 2013

It's not there was anything wrong with the hotel (it wasn't great, but was bearable) but the service was absolutely apalling, namely not delivering what was promised at booking. I am staying in Istanbul every week for the next 14 weeks, so you would have thought they might have been keen to give me a good experience and get some repeat business.

I went in with a Turkish colleague and made arrangements for a double room, breakfast voucher (extra at 15 euros) and a one way transfer to the airport. I'd chosen tunel because I thought the hotel looked really good on the website (it does).

I had a single room, was told that breakfast vouchers were not possible, and they refused the transfer claiming it was a web offer only (fair enough, but then don't promise it at booking).

The staff were surly, unwilling to resolve any problems - when I explained my husband was joining me at the weekend and we would need a double bed, I was told it was not possible, despite this being what I had booked.

The bed sheets were not clean and the window blind was ineffective and let in light. The air con was also poor, not great for Istanbul in the Summer!

To be fair, the restaurant next to the hotel (Big Chef) was lovely, with really friendly, pleasant staff who were happy to do anything they could to help.

I asked to speak to the manager at the end of my stay to explain it wasn't good - and he didn't apologise, telling me I had misunderstood (hard to believe because it was explained in english and turkish, with my colleague as a witness). The staff were in total contrast to everyone else I've met in the city who has been very warm and welcoming.

If you don't mind a single bed between two of you and finding your own way to the airport at cost, then the hotel would be bearable, but otherwise I'd book somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo