“Hugely overpriced tourist trap but good fresh fish”
Review of Akbiyik Balik Evi

Akbiyik Balik Evi
Ranked #7,120 of 14,052 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had seen this restaurant walking to and from our hotel and it looked good with an interesting display of fresh fish every day. However .... We should have been warned by the way the staff swooped on us as soon as we were seated. The menu was ignored and we were presented with a selection of starters and then almost immediately a platter of fresh fish to choose from. We should have checked the prices since I am sure we paid at least double what would have been reasonable. Having said that, the fish was very good and we enjoyed the meal, but not the bill. But we decided not to spoil the evening by having a row with the staff, although with hindsight we should have done so. Quite simply they ripped us off! If I had checked the reviews I would never have gone there and would certainly advise others to avoid this place, or at least be very wary and check the prices carefully before ordering anything. It seems that almost everyone else has had a similar experience BEWARE!!!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was a very nice restaurant. Though the name suggests seafood, they do sell meat skewers, too. We ordered a fish and some lamb and beef skewers. The food was fresh and priced reasonably. The reason that I did not give it four stars was the fact that they tried to sell me on very expensive fish that was not on the menu. The price of the fish was about 10-fold of their menu price. When I declined, the main "seller"/waiter became very upset and kind of was unpleasant to be around. This lowered my overall experience. I don't like when people are visibly upset at me, especially if they are serving me my food. Other than that, it was pretty good. P.S.: The rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful. They helped me find my hotel even when they did not know exactly where it was in relationship to the restuarant. I would come back here again.

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I arrived in Istanbul to spend the whole week there and, being at the Acra Hotel at walking distance from this restaurant, we decided to eat some fish for dinner. Although our intention was already to enter in the restaurant, just outside we found few of their waiters, or better actual "promoters", literally pushing us to accommodate inside. Just seconds after we sat at our table, a waiter arrived with a tray full of small plates of appetizers and, although we already chose a couple of them, it was really hard to convince him that it was enough as a starter. Interim bread, butter and black olives' paste was left on our table, a good surprise even thought we later discovered that it was not free, not so fair being not requested by us. Suddenly a very big tray full of fish was brought to our table and basically we had to choose our food from there rather than from a menu or list. The good point was that the fish was looking very fresh indeed and apparently just fished the very same day. Then we ordered a mix salad and a small plate of plain rice, with a coke and a half bottle of a "cheap" white wine. The starters were acceptable, although not great, the salad, dressed with mint and coriander, a bit "boring" and the fish fresh and well cooked, although its taste was quite plain if not adjusted with salt and lemon. In my opinion the best dish, believe me, was the rice which had a very good taste although plain, probably due to a spice that I was unable to identify. But the bill made the dinner, already not marvellous, very difficult to digest... 460 Turkish Lira which were converted to 170 Euros, even though the present exchange rate is about 1 Euro = 3 Turkish Lira. And no receipt was given to me at all, also after asking for it. I forgot to mention that three guys never stopped playing Turkish music during the dinner, nice for few minutes but particularly annoying after that, and that I was requested to leave them a tip, thing that I did not do. A real trap for tourists, in my opinion to avoid like the pest! The only positive note was the freshness of the fish.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

As usual almost everywhere in Istanbul the waiter will always try to recommend and convince you to order something overpriced. Unless if you are really hungry and don't mind the price do go ahead. That being said, go through the menu they do have some decent fish priced reasonably. Waiter tried to recommend pricier fish but we stuck to our menu and manage to cut down on the bill and food wasn't that bad. Just order what you need avoiding unneccessary side dishes/appetizers and it will be ok. Just stick to this rule when in Istanbul. My experience is always over ordering because of the waiter's insistance ending up having more than we can handle.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

This is a total rip off. They show you one thing on the menu but make you something different and way over charge you. My friend I had dinner and it cost 425 TL for a very mediocre dinner. The waiter did not hear us out. Tourist trap.