“Cosy, perfect nest in heart of Istanbul!”
Review of Hotel Han

Hotel Han
Ranked #109 of 1,051 Istanbul B&B and Inns
international
“Cosy, perfect nest in heart of Istanbul!”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Like many of the reviewers of the Hotel Han, I was drawn by the price and seemingly good value all around of the hotel. I needed a decent place to stay for about 10 nights while attending a conference + istanbul biennale and had neither the budget nor the desire to stay in the 'official' business-type hotel being offered by the conference. As someone who has to travel relatively often to a wide range of destinations, I can no longer take 'Hilton-style' hotels anymore with their typically hermetically sealed rooms, antiseptic hallways, invariably droning HVAC, expensive add-on internet and grab-bag 'international' buffet breakfasts. The Hotel Han has none of this - in fact I was incredibly delighted to discover that my room (301, on the top floor, great little rooftop corner balcony) had NO TV, NO mini-bar but instead a fridge I could use as I like, AND free wireless internet! What a change from other hotels that give you 100 channels of satellite TV for free, but charge you 20+ euro/day for internet access! Admittedly, on the top floor where I was the internet reach was not great - and unfortunately did not make it out to the balcony. If so (and maybe the owners will get another router up to the top floor) the place would have been heaven, and i would have spent most of my time out on it, overlooking Sultanhamet and getting some work done! As a result I had to use a corner of the bed to get at the signal, as the room was too small for a table/chair. I usually ended up downstairs in the dining lounge, which was a great space overlooking the street, and where the signal was best.

In general the hotel was great - obviously run with pride and genuine friendliness, absolutely clean with seemingly recently renovated bathrooms. Everything (stairs, walls, fixtures) were slightly crooked, befitting an older house in an ancient city, and decorated with a refreshingly unique but entirely fitting and unassuming style (the photographs online actually tell it like it is!). The bed was firm, clean, comfortable and took up most of the space in the room (if you are more than one person travelling, you may want to try to get a slightly larger room!). The management were wonderful, even though some details revealed the mild bumps that make up the difference in price/service between Han and other typically higher category hotels were somewhat aggravating. To be precise, and so meant simply as a point of mild caution … the promised and confirmed pick-up at the airport 'with name sign' (25 euro) did not exist. After searching the throngs of name signs at the arrivals area, I finally called the hotel and they found someone to pick me up. The exercise (at around midnight) took about 45 minutes and cost me a couple of unnecessary international mobile phone calls to the hotel. Also, given that I was staying for 10 days, I had asked if the hotel had either a laundry service or if they could recommend one to me. They told me that they can get the laundry done no problem, and i dropped my clothes off on a Saturday morning expecting to get it back that same evening. No. And no clothes yet on Sunday, not even in the evening. Monday morning … still no clothes! After much phoning the management finally got my laundry back ca. 11.00 am on Monday … unwashed!!! This, was not good. But again, I think the hotel was genuinely embarrassed by this, and hopefully will not let it happen again.

The BBQ House restaurant on the street level and below the hotel, which is somehow connected to Han was very good - nothing outrageously exceptional, but i did eat some very nice grilled delights there and brought some of my colleagues to eat there as well. I found the prices a touch higher than they should have been (by comparison a fairly top class restaurant with an amazing garden we visited a few times in Beyoglu, which did have better and a wider selection of interesting turkish food was about the same price). But I guess Sultanhamet, being tourist central is pricier for restaurants than other parts of Istanbul. One of the things that made the hotel quite nice as well was that, despite having restaurant out on the street, the street it's on was fairly low key, and just tucked around the corner from the tourist frenzy. So sleeping with window open was a treat … and surprisingly quiet. And the breakfast ... simple, super and authentic!

Yes, I would definitely stay here again … it felt like home.

Room Tip: Go for the rooftop rooms (I had 301) as they have great balconies, and nobody above. My room was ve...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank intertwilight

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Turkish first
Olympia, WA
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at the Han after I screwed up another reservation. We got the tiny room for the first night (a big person couldn't have fit in the shower!), but they moved us the next night to the large family room which is huge. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the breakfast was the best we had in all of our stay in Turkey. We had dinner two nights at the BBQ restaurant associated with the hotel and the meals were both very good. Baha, one of the managers, was incredibly kind to us. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The family room has a queen bed and two twins, lots of room in between and a large bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Hotel Han was one of the few hotels I had shortlisted based on trip advisor reviews and my budget. I decided to book Hotel Han as the reviews were much better and the price a lot cheaper than others. I was certainly not disappointed with my choice.

The location of the hotel couldn't have been any better. Basilica Cistern on the same street, Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia (which we had a view of from our room) and tram station are around the corner, Topkapi palace about 5 mins walk and Galata bridge and Grand bazaar about 15 mins walk.

The rooms were small, but that didn't matter as the service was excellent. Rooms were cleaned daily and towels, shampoo, conditioner, soap and body lotion were provided. Hair dryer and a small fridge was also avaialble in the room. The rooms were very comfortable and Air con worked well.

The breakfast was plenty and offered between 8-11 which was good for both early birds and for those wanting a lye in. Wi-fi was available as well as a laptop in the lounge. The staff whether it be the management or the waiters were all fantastic and ready to offer useful information. Baha was briliiant in answering questions and helped with all our queries whether it was finding a hamam, hair dressers or directions to an attraction.

I would not stay any where else in Istanbul and recommend the hotel to any one who wants great service and value. Thank you Hotel Han for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We went here for our honeymoon for seven days. This hotel was a real suprise for us. What a lovely, romantic and affordable place this is. The hotel is small, the rooms are too, but that makes it even more lovely. Everything is really nice. Very friendly people, who will help and advise you with everything. I will never forget the nice nightly conversations we had with our host Baha and other guests, sitting on the small terrace on the street, drinking apple-tea and coffee. When we go back to Istanbul, there will be no other option than returning here! It was a perfect honeymoon! Greetings from Belgium from Remko & Vanessa

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RemkoJanszen
Sydney,australia
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The owners really made this place special for us. Baha and his friends were so nice and extremely helpful. He helped us plan our time in Istanbul always there for us with advice on where to go and what to see and how to get there.
The location of this hotel is ideal, right in the heart of Sultanahmet and close to alot of the major attractions.
The hotel itself is lovely and cosy. The rooms are small but we didnt mind that.Baha has decorated the hotel bright and cheery and its very clean.
Breakfast was the best we experienced in Turkey, large portions as well.The restaurant downstairs, the BBQ House was good and we enjoyed an afternoon drink each day downstairs on the street, watching the world go by.
We highly recommend this hotel and will go back there again for sure!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 301 on the top floor, bit of a climb but if you are a couple this room is larger th...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Han Hotel has everything you want & need when in Istanbul!! Its on a quiet & picturesque road, but still central and really close to all the main attractions in the city. The rooms are well decorated, bathrooms big, everything very clean and tidy! And still the best part is people! Everyone is friendly and attentive! All the recommendations about the city were on the spot, and they even fixed my broken shoes!! We were four girls traveling around Turkey and we started the trip there.. one morning sharing our non-planned trip to the Manager of the Hotel he offered to organize it according to what we wanted to see and do! We had the best 10 x holiday ahead ever! Our tailor made route was perfect, all transfers, hotels, flights, boat trip were impeccable and made our lives so much easier! We even had a day hotel to relax by the pool for few hours in Pamukale! I could keep on writing how our trip was great because of the Han Hotel´s master plan! But I think you should try yourself!! Enjoy Turkey!!!

Room Tip: best match for price / location / quality / friendliness
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Cuiaba, MT
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I's the best hotel in my trip. The staff is very friendly, polite and attentive. The room is beautiful and very clean. You can see the principal attraction from the window room. I really recomend this place. Will be the best choice.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Erman_Altindag, Manager at Hotel Han, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear Keila,
Thank you for your even-handed review. I know that you are a world traveler and always honest. It is pleasure and nice to read such a polite comment. We wish to see you again in our (your home) hotel in near future.