“Fantastic Apartment & Good Quality”
Review of Ekim Apartments

Ekim Apartments
Ranked #89 of 1,260 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed here for 4 days. The internet was fast and reliable, bed comfortable and great view of the Mamara sea!! The location is walking distance to everything and very safe.

The guys who run the apartment were honest, friendly and reliable. Our apartment was cleaned well daily and the team helped with anything we requested. I would stay here again.

*If you are not able bodied it is 3 levels up a set of stairs so this may not suit you. Also, the speakers of the blue mosque are very close to the window so some may need earplugs (didn't bother me at all).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Olivia S

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We spent 4 nights at the "Basileus Apartment" which is in the cellar of the Ekim apartment building. The place was roomy enough for our family of four (Two adult children) as the inside room had two bunk beds. The window of the apartment opens on to the street to street level so that might bother a few people in case they are very sensitive sleepers. But it was not a problem for us as the window blocks out most noise and there was hardly any traffic on this small side street. The day we checked in as well as the next, power went out from morning till afternoon. However the whole of Sulatanahment area was blacked out and we were not particularly inconvenienced.
Saban is an excellent host with prompt response to mails and calls. The breakfast served on the terrace of the building across from the apartment block (This building also houses apartments managed by Saban) was excellent and a great way to start the day.
I wholeheartedly recommend Saban and all his properties (Including SUR Hotel) for excellent value and smooth and comfy arrangements.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground or cellar are probably better as the stairs are narrow and winding
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank WannaBvagabond
Reviewed 10 November 2012

When reading this review please consider it mostly applies to the Sarnic Suite in the Turquoise Apartments. This suite and other suites within the Turquoise Apartments are operated by the same person/company whom operate/own Ekim Apartments.

Eventhough I did not stay in any of the rooms in Ekim or the other rooms in the Turquoise apartments I would still recommend these two locations as the service I received was top rate. However, I could not recommend the Sarnic suite in the Turquoise Apartments.

The Bad
1. The issue with the Sarnic Suite is that the bedroom is located below ground level with the windows facing a street. This was a huge issue during our stay as anytime a car drove up the street the sound would echo/vibrate throughout the room and did not allow us to sleep soundly during our 3 night stay. We kept the windows close and even turned on the Aircon but it still could not drown out the noise of when a car would drive up the street. I'm a very heavy sleeper and was fully exchausted from sightseeing all day but the vibrations of cars would wake me from a dead sleap.

2. The door leading to the Sarnic Suite is across from the entry door for the rest of the suites within the Turquoise apartments. The opening and closing of this metal door throughout the night from other guest leaving and entering the Turquoise apartment added to our inability to get a sound night’s sleep.

Point 1&2 is why I gave the location an Average rating otherwise it would have received an excellent rating.

3. I chose, it was not my first choice but will discuss later, the Sarnic Suite as it had enough room to sleep our 2 children in the breakfast/kitchen area on a sleeper sofa. However, the steps leading from the breakfast/kitchen area to the basement bedroom are not safe for young children. The kids had to walk close to these steps to get to the bathroom within the suite.

4. All windows had bars on them which pose a serious issue if there was fire blocking the entry door. I'm not sure why there are bars on the windows as we felt safe walking at night.

5. I had originally booked the Topaki room in the Ekim apartments and had sent Saban my reservation form and advise him I would call to provide him my CC details. I receive an e-mail from Saban stating there was no need to call and advise a driver would pick me up from the airport. I assumed all was in order with the room but received an e-mail from Saban 5 days before my arrival that the Topaki room had been giving to another guest as I had not confirm receipt of Saban’s earlier e-mail. In fact the last line in his e-mail did state to confirm receipt so I mistakenly assumed since he stated no need to send CC info and the driver would be waiting for me at the airport that no further action was required on my part. This was my mistake. However, I think any business would have followed up with the guest to confirm the booking and allow the guest to respond within 24 hours before giving the room away. Since this happened 5 days before arrival we did not have time to try and confirm a new place to stay so we settled on the Sarnic suite which Saban advised it was available.

The Good
1.The location of the Turquoise apartments allows quick access to a kids park, grocery store, restaurants and the fish market. You are in easy walking distance of the major attractoins within Istanbul.

2. Saban was very helpful and kind during our stay. I don’t think he was malicious in canceling our room but I hope he provides future guest 24 hours notice to respond to a booking before he cancels the room.

3. I must commend the house keeping service. My wife lost a diamond earing and we could not find it at all. We never saw the cleaning lady but she had found the earing and put it on our night stand. I hope Saban can pass on our apperication to her.

As stated before the service provided was great however, it was one product (sarnic suite) which is the reason for my average rating. I could not recommend the Sarnic Suite to anyone but I would undoubtly recommend Ekim apartments becuase of the high level of service received.

I hope my review will allow travels to make a informed decision about the Ekim and Turquoise Apartments.

Room Tip: I would not choose the Sarnic Suite as my first choice
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank cincoMcBrides
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed for a week in the new apartments. They were exactly like the photos (always a bonus!), spotless; cleaned daily, in a great location and I found Saban to be a complete gentleman. We were about ten minutes walk from the Grand Bazaar and about 15 minutes from the Hippodrome. All of the sites were within easy access. The area is completely safe, we found the locals friendly and we were out and about all hours of the night. Lovely bakeries just up the road, supermarket around the corner. I would happily go back and stay there again.It really was a home away from home for our holiday. Saban is so helpful and knowledgeable. I would recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2012

its new ekim apartment (only 5 apartments - clean renewed building - i liked it - the 2 things i didnt like about it : the stairs is difficult to be used by young kids or old people, the second its little but high price
in general what make it very good apart- is Mr. Saban who was very helpful, soft spoken guy. realyy he is one of the best people i delt with in turkey

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sa S
Reviewed 19 August 2012

When I was looking for accommodation in Istanbul I read so many excellent reviews about Saban and his hotel/apartments, but having experienced his hospitality first hand, everything I read was an understatement! From the very first time I contacted him Saban was sooooooooooooo helpful....above and beyond the call of duty! Via e-mail he sent me photos, patiently and courteously answered question after question and even, ultimately, offered to buy tickets for us for our overnight bus from Istanbul to Athens, which he paid for with his own money!! If he had not done this we would not have been able to plan the rest of our Interail trip round Europe, so he saved our holiday!!! We looked forward with anticipation to our first visit to Istanbul re-assured, by our regular contact with him, that we were going to be safe and well looked after on our arrival, and we weren't disappointed! We arrived at the hotel at about 7.00am after a long overnight journey and the very friendly and helpful hotel staff looked after our bags for us until we could get into the apartment at 11.00. It was perfect for us and Saban was the most unassuming, chilled-out, relaxed and pleasant host you could ever meet! Thank you Saban....we will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My husband & I stayed in basement apartment for 10 days after touring Turkey for two weeks. It absolutely met all our needs & more. So close to the wonderful Hippodrome & Sultanahmet Park where we had many an icecream watching the goings on. Also a lovely walk to the Grand Bazaar (abt 15 min) & down through the many interesting shop filled streets to the Spice Bazaar & Eminonu. Saban & his two cleaning ladies were always so friendly & helpful we couldn't have wished for a better place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple