“A wonderful hotel”

Ranked #21 of 1,134 Hotels in Istanbul
Durango, Colorado
“A wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We stayed at the Seraglio for 4 nights in early June 2011. Quite simply it is a superb hotel in all ways. The rooms are clean and comfortable. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is great for tourists (e.g., an easy 10 minute walk to the Blue Mosque).
There are lots of restaurants in the neighborhood (though these tend to have close to European prices). The several we tried were all excellent.
There was very good breakfast, a computer in the lobby for e-mail and wifi in the rooms.

4 Thank JohnWByrd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I have always used trip advisor for guidance, but have never ever left e review, till now.
I \ we were so impressed by this Hotel that it would be a crime not to have done so.
My collegue and I stayed at the Seraglio last week, we stayed at the Radddison (Airport) on the way out on a business trip ( watch the drinks 18tl a pint that's nearly £8 ) . We had a taxi down into the old town istanbul and really liked it. Thought on the way back we would find a hotel in the heart of the area. Simply found this hotel on the internet via trip advisor and satalite map , then booked a delux room for myself.
My collegue found out later the next day that he also was retuning home so he booked a standard room for the same night as all the delux rooms had gone.
I have travelled all over the world on business and can say without a doubt that this hotel is up there with the very best for what you want from a hotel.
From check in the guys on duty were marvelous offering a free welcome drink (your choice) and being very very informative and helpful about the area we were in with the blue mosque and bazzar and also about Istanbul in general,
The room was really really nice, tastfully decorated (new) with a very comfortable king bed and also a single bed, a must for all Brits is the tea \ coffee facility and yes it was there !.
The shower was huge and I mean huge !! and the rest of the bathroom was also nice and modern and again fairly new decor \ pottery & furniture .
The room also had a veranda with table and chairs that over looked the internal courtyard thingymagig, again nice.
The only difference with the standard to delux is the room that my collegue was staying in, was the room size and no single bed, everything else is the same standard but differing deco including the shower (huge again)
The hotel is between 2 roads front and back, with the reception being on the less busy side. On the opposite side is the hotel bistro \ bar that comes out onto the road. On the night we were here a couple of guys were playing guitar and saxaphone in the bistro \ bar with some very chilled out music coming through (volume level just right to still let you talk) , just made you want to sit there all night and relax. I gather that this feature is most nights but differing acts.
We decided not to eat in the hotel, so that we could sample a little more of what was on offer around so we stepped outside into the street on the bistro side of the hotel .
All I can say is FANTASTIC, everything about Istanbul nightlife was there, bang outside the door, zillions of restraunts \ bars with roof top terraces mixed with shops, bazzar etc and none of it like Magaluf all very tasteful & low key the kind of area you could take your mother or daughter (no drunks or rowdies), and the prices were OK to, certainly cheeper than UK ie 1pint = 5tl.
Back to the hotel, breakfast is buffet style and if you cannot find something you like then you must only eat "mushy peas" as it was both varied and tasty with as much to eat as you want , they even have an ommlette chef waiting for your order.
Check out was all very easy with a taxi outside the door in less than 2 minutes followed by a smile,shake of the hand and a please come back sir.
I was so impressed with this place that I have promised to take my wife for a long weekend there later in the year.
Trust me & try it, you will not be disapointed.

Room Tip: Tripadvisor has the best comparisions
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank almagettum
mpierce64
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The good: The room size was more than fine and the room was clean. The bathroom was a good size with a large shower. The air-conditioning worked well and overall the staff was nice. Free wifi.

The ok: The location is in a very touristy area, which i thought would be good and may be good for some. But maybe because it's a touristy area of maybe because it's Istanbul, every shop owner and restaurant waiter haggles with you and borderline harasses you wherever you walk in the area. The location is quite close to the Hagia Sofia, Cistern, Topkapi and Blue mosque but you could take a cab/tram there from somewhere else for a day and sightsee and then spend the rest of your time in the city elsewhere.

The bad: Hard to put my finger on. I think everyone meant well at the hotel but after a while I just got the feeling that everything they told me was wrong. Here are some examples. My first night I asked the gentleman at the desk to make a dinner reservation for me at 10 PM, which he told me was too late. I said that I didn't realize people ate so early in Istanbul and he said that it was not healthy to eat late and made the reservation for 9. Later, when taking a cab to the restaurant, I asked for the address to be written down for me. A different gentleman assured me that he told the cab driver and the cab driver knew exactly where the restaurant was and everything was taken care of so there was no need to write anything down. Well the cab driver dropped us in the wrong place and, despite searching and asking directions (using only the restaurant name) for 30 minutes, we gave up. Ok, I wasn't happy but let it go because mistakes happen. The same day I asked for laundry to be sent. I was told it would be ready the next day. It wasn't, and came back the following day right before I had to leave. When the gentleman at the desk gave it to me, he said, "it has nothing to do with me." I thought this was a rather strange yet inappropriate response. When I asked if the payment could be paid with credit card, he said no and again repeated, "it has nothing to do with me." Maybe it was a language or a cultural thing, but overall all of this added up and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall: The rooms were nice and clean, the price was right and everyone I think meant well but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

14 Thank mpierce64
Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 June 2011

The Seraglio is excellently located in the Sultanahmet (Old City) section of Istanbul, close to the Blue Mosque. All the employees were extremely nice and helpful and the two major front desk managers were full of good advice and ideas. A lovely hotel (great breakfast included).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HowardWisconsin
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This is a beautiful small hotel in a perfect area. Everything was meticulous. The room was very comfortable and more than functional. Our hosts were amazing and went out of their way to meet all of our needs and guide us through our stay, from arranging taxi rides to advising on the best places to go, and helping us with our Turkish pronunciations. They saved me by sending a taxi to the airport with my hand bag when I left it before our departure. It contained my passport!
We highly recommend staying there.

1 Thank rickityruckus
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Friendly staff makes it as a good start point to discover the beauties of Istanbul. Good breakfast, large bathrooms and beds... Water heater on the room, for a convenient Tea or Coffe completes the nice atmosphere. By the way.. If you’re not so far away on the Istanbul foot ride, return to Seraglio for an afternoon Tea served freely for the guests from 17hs. It will recompose your strengths to walk some more...
Definitely recommend to all vacation travelers who seeks a foreign base point to star discovering this amazing city Istanbul.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Daniel_Barreto
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We checked in late in the eve after a long international flight and we were greeted warmly with a welcome drink. They even offerred to take our bags to the room. Another surprise was when we went up to our room and realised that we had been upgraded to a suite. This is a beautiful small hotel near the Blue Mosque with an excellent breakfast spread and superb service. Any time of the day the manager at the desk was willing to go out of his way to help. Its quite accessible from the near tram station. However coming from the airport I would recommend that one should use the shuttle or private transfer rather than the tram route. Thanks to all at Seraglio to make our stay wonderful!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple