“Great hotel!”
Review of Hotel Seraglio

Hotel Seraglio
Ranked #22 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 8 December 2013

If you're looking for a perfectly-situated, peaceful, welcoming little hotel in Istanbul, look no further. We had a room with the hamam which was great fun. Breakfast was enough to keep you going all day, though lots of tempting restaurants nearby. Thanks to all -- the staff were very accommodating, giving us plenty of cups of apple tea, storing luggage etc!

1  Thank OWCAW

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We were looking for a small hotel in Sultanahmet to base ourselves for 3 days sightseeing in the city. The combination of good reviews and price led us to the Seraglio, and we were not disappointed. I have stayed in 3 or 4 different places in the area, all of which were a similar price, but this is by far the best in terms of quality.

The check-in staff were excellent, offering a glass of tea, whilst making suggestions of things to do, and with not hard sell of particular tours.

The room was excellent - spotlessly clean, a good bathroom, free Wi-Fi, tea & coffee making facilities, free bottles of water, and a good TV with some free to air English news channels. There is even tea coffee and pastries free for guests in the bistro restaurant each afternoon.

Breakfast was decent, with freshly made omelets, and other hot and cold selections, served in the basement breakfast room.

The location was also very convenient - 5 minutes walk to the Blue Mosque / Topkapi, and 15 minutes down to Galata Bridge across the Golden Horn.

Possibly the only thing this place lacks is a roof-top terrace which is typical of many of its competitors, but there is no shortage of other places with terraces to visit for a tea or coffee, and what you get instead is a far better hotel for he same money. I would strongly recommend it and will be back here on my next trip to the city,

1  Thank 0123Dave
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and i recently stayed at the Hotel Seraglio for 8 nights. We booked the room after reading the numerous excellent trip adviser reviews. We were not disappointed. The room was clean and comfortable and in a very convenient Sultanahmet location--about a two minute walk from the Blue Mosque. As another reviewer noted, the windows seemed somewhat poorly insulated as we were able to hear conversations of passers-by on the street below, but this is our only real complaint.

I give this hotel five stars primarily because of excellent service from the hotel staff. When we arrived Kenon, who staffs the front desk during the day, told us that we were not "customers" but rather "guests." While such talk is eye-roll inducing and usually hollow, Kenon was good for his word. The staff, particularly Yousef, really went out of their way to help us. For example, each morning before we departed on day trips before breakfast was served, Yousef packed sandwiches, fruit, and water for my three travelling companions and I at no extra charge without us even asking him to do so. The staff was also incredibly helpful in helping us plan our days' itineraries. I recommend Hotel Seraglio without reservation and would stay there again.

Room Tip: The view of the Blue Mosque from the roof balcony room is great!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have not checked out yet, but wanted to write this one before I get out tomorrow. Wife and I found them through trip advisor. At first sight, their entrance is questionably lackluster and we had second thoughts in the first 2 mins. Staff greeted us heartily, and in a few minutes I found these people genuinely honest and welcoming. We got Kenan's signature overview of Istanbul sightseeing (as mentioned in another review before). The room was compact, but fresh, clean and the large comfortable bed and WC were the highlights. I am particularly picky about general ambience and this one is no 5 star yet simple and super super pleasant. The breakfast is another highlight, they have fantastic cakes, cookies, the usual American style breakfast items with some Turkish items thrown in. The chef makes a decent omelet and I woke up everyday waiting to get the day started with a hearty breakfast. The bistro was right next to my room and they serve surprising good food, a warm ambience and allowed guests to smoke the water pipe well past the stipulated timeline of 7PM for outsiders.
Location is of course fantastic, close to everything, we walked up and down the street several times of the day.
The bistro host is a quiet, efficient and friendly guy. How did these guys get everything so right? This turned out to be a great vacation thanks to the hotel, thanks so much team Seraglio!
Constructive feedback - I would recommend spending 3L for a 5L water supply per day for all customers, this would be a differentiator and I wonder why most hotels skimp on this important thing (worser in the USA)

Room Tip: I hear they have a hamam room, try it or get the one next to the bistro too.
1  Thank Kaustubh V
YILMAZ_CGR, Owner at Hotel Seraglio, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

My Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel Seraglio for your previous stay in Istanbul.
Also special thanks for your feedback about your stay. I am very glad to hear that you were happy about your stay here. I would like to tell you, your feedbacks are very important for us to improve our service quality. I would like to explain one thing about the subject you had mentioned: Untill now we were used to serve two small waters for each room and add new ones everyday regulary. And we are always willing to give you extra ones whenever you need more. But may be we were not clear enough to let you know. Just let you and also our future guests know that; from right now we will be serving big bottle of drinking water (instead of small ones) and still willing to give extra ones anytime.Thank you ones again for spending your valuable time for us. Looking forward to host you again...

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I was probably swayed by other excellent reviews to expect more from this hotel. Still, it has plenty of good features. Firstly, it is just a few minutes walk to the Blue Mosque (and therefore to the excellent Mosaic Museum next to the mosque) and only a few minutes more to the other famous sites in the Old City. The room is small but well-equipped (fridge, kettle) and the bathroom is huge with a nice shower. (The bathroom includes a Turkish bath, which must appeal to a certain clientele, but I kept wishing the extra space was allocated to the main room.) Breakfast was excellent, and a cook stands by to knock up a terrific omelet for no extra charge. On the down side, service--although very friendly--was not so good. The room's hair dryer was broken and we were given a temporary replacement that did not work properly, either; neither was fixed during the three nights we stayed there, despite a gentle reminder. In addition, the hotel booked us a shuttle bus to the airport when we left, and it was dreadful: terrible driver, broken seats, overloaded luggage and a generally scungy interior. A taxi would have been well worth the extra money. The room had no obvious form of cooling and it was barely comfortable during mild weather. Finally, despite double-glazing, we were suprised at how much lobby noise and outside noise entered our room; the facing road is by no means busy, but conversation from people outside floated into our room during the night. The hotel is certainly worth considering for a stay in Istanbul, but it is expensive and I would check out other options first.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GSK11

My Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for choosing us,also special thanks for your review about your stay at Hotel Seraglio. We attach great importance to our guests' feedbacks, especially the criticing ones. Because they show us the missing points that we still have to work on them.
Unfortunately it is the first time one of our hairdryer broke down since we have opened. We couldnt fix the hairdryer and ordered new ones ( 2 extra ones just in case). We tried to find excatly the same ones,not to damage the decoration of the bathroom but it took some time to get those. I am suprised and sorry to hear that the temporary replacement one didnt work well. I will be taking my staff ' attention to focus on the problems more untill it is solved totally.About airport transportation we always give different options for our guests for variable budgets. But it is always our guests final decision, we just try to help them. Still let the third party (transportation company) know about your comment. Finally I am sorry for not able to meet %100 of your expectations this time which can not be possible all the time.
Looking forward to host you once again in the future...

Reviewed 26 November 2013

This hotel is about as good as it gets. The whole staff did their best to make our stay a truely memorable one.The room and bathroom : Very,very clean. Huge comfortable bed and the best shower we've had in ages. We felt very much at home throughout our 4 night stay. Istanbul is a really exciting city to explore. The hotel was in easy walking distance of all the major attractions. It's on a quiet sidestreet and ,apart from the morning prayer call, we slept very well. There are restaurants galore nearby and more than enough shops to satisfy all our needs. Pricewise it would be difficult to find better value than here. To all the people at the Hotel Seraglio :
Keep up the good work and pretty soon you'll be Tripadvisors number 1 choice in Istanbul.
Hope to be back in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Just back from a 5 night stay with my wife at this hotel. We both loved the hotel and will definitely be staying here again. Staff were great, very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and spacious, location was great and buffet breakfast has something for everyones taste.

1  Thank fullbelly