“Welcoming well priced option”
Review of Hotel Seraglio

Hotel Seraglio
Ranked #21 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Durban, South Africa
“Welcoming well priced option”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Well located option in Istanbul, close enough to all major sites, yet away from all the noise .The staff were friendly and knowledgeable and the booking and check in process was handled efficiently. The food in the hotel was first class and we were sorry we didn't eat there on more occasions. The bedrooms were well appointed and comfortable and for the price we paid, we thought we got good value. We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Brad B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

We had a recent stay in istanbul. The Seraglio hotel was excellent- it was at an excellent location close to all the major attractions and the tram line. The front office staff was very helpful and helped plan all my itineraries .They have a nice coffee shop with happy hour between 5 and 7pm when they give out free coffee, apple tea and cakes . One can relax there at the end of a busy day sightseeing and looking at the nice cobblestoned streets outside .  Of all he hotels i have stayed in -this has one of the best quality of service i am actually looking forward to staying there again on my next trip

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raj1975_11
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Having never been to Istanbul before I chose this hotel based purely on Tripadvisor reviews knowing I wanted to stay in old town. We chose the Blue Mosque suite and it was really good. Big terrace to sit out at night with an amazing view. The two gentlemen that helped us at the front desk were accommodating and friendly and provided all insight on what to see and how to get there. The location of the hotel is absolutely perfect as you are literally a 5 minute walk to the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and Hagia Sophia which are all must see sightseeing spots. Great restaurants and bars and the shopping in Istanbul is to die for.

Given we were so close to the Mosque we were woken up the first morning by the call to pray. It is really loud, but by the 2nd and 3rd day it wasn't as overwhelming as it was day 1.

The breakfast provided was fine. Cook to order omelets and some fruits and pastries. We ate in the bistro and that was pretty good too. The hotel arranged airport transfers and they were there to meet us and were prompt on the return pick up.

If I am fortunate enough to return to Istanbul one day I would definitely stay in this area and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great find in the middle of a stunningly beautiful city.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Belinda B
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

If you're looking for a perfectly-situated, peaceful, welcoming little hotel in Istanbul, look no further. We had a room with the hamam which was great fun. Breakfast was enough to keep you going all day, though lots of tempting restaurants nearby. Thanks to all -- the staff were very accommodating, giving us plenty of cups of apple tea, storing luggage etc!

1 Thank OWCAW
Dubai
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We were looking for a small hotel in Sultanahmet to base ourselves for 3 days sightseeing in the city. The combination of good reviews and price led us to the Seraglio, and we were not disappointed. I have stayed in 3 or 4 different places in the area, all of which were a similar price, but this is by far the best in terms of quality.

The check-in staff were excellent, offering a glass of tea, whilst making suggestions of things to do, and with not hard sell of particular tours.

The room was excellent - spotlessly clean, a good bathroom, free Wi-Fi, tea & coffee making facilities, free bottles of water, and a good TV with some free to air English news channels. There is even tea coffee and pastries free for guests in the bistro restaurant each afternoon.

Breakfast was decent, with freshly made omelets, and other hot and cold selections, served in the basement breakfast room.

The location was also very convenient - 5 minutes walk to the Blue Mosque / Topkapi, and 15 minutes down to Galata Bridge across the Golden Horn.

Possibly the only thing this place lacks is a roof-top terrace which is typical of many of its competitors, but there is no shortage of other places with terraces to visit for a tea or coffee, and what you get instead is a far better hotel for he same money. I would strongly recommend it and will be back here on my next trip to the city,

1 Thank 0123Dave
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and i recently stayed at the Hotel Seraglio for 8 nights. We booked the room after reading the numerous excellent trip adviser reviews. We were not disappointed. The room was clean and comfortable and in a very convenient Sultanahmet location--about a two minute walk from the Blue Mosque. As another reviewer noted, the windows seemed somewhat poorly insulated as we were able to hear conversations of passers-by on the street below, but this is our only real complaint.

I give this hotel five stars primarily because of excellent service from the hotel staff. When we arrived Kenon, who staffs the front desk during the day, told us that we were not "customers" but rather "guests." While such talk is eye-roll inducing and usually hollow, Kenon was good for his word. The staff, particularly Yousef, really went out of their way to help us. For example, each morning before we departed on day trips before breakfast was served, Yousef packed sandwiches, fruit, and water for my three travelling companions and I at no extra charge without us even asking him to do so. The staff was also incredibly helpful in helping us plan our days' itineraries. I recommend Hotel Seraglio without reservation and would stay there again.

Room Tip: The view of the Blue Mosque from the roof balcony room is great!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have not checked out yet, but wanted to write this one before I get out tomorrow. Wife and I found them through trip advisor. At first sight, their entrance is questionably lackluster and we had second thoughts in the first 2 mins. Staff greeted us heartily, and in a few minutes I found these people genuinely honest and welcoming. We got Kenan's signature overview of Istanbul sightseeing (as mentioned in another review before). The room was compact, but fresh, clean and the large comfortable bed and WC were the highlights. I am particularly picky about general ambience and this one is no 5 star yet simple and super super pleasant. The breakfast is another highlight, they have fantastic cakes, cookies, the usual American style breakfast items with some Turkish items thrown in. The chef makes a decent omelet and I woke up everyday waiting to get the day started with a hearty breakfast. The bistro was right next to my room and they serve surprising good food, a warm ambience and allowed guests to smoke the water pipe well past the stipulated timeline of 7PM for outsiders.
Location is of course fantastic, close to everything, we walked up and down the street several times of the day.
The bistro host is a quiet, efficient and friendly guy. How did these guys get everything so right? This turned out to be a great vacation thanks to the hotel, thanks so much team Seraglio!
Constructive feedback - I would recommend spending 3L for a 5L water supply per day for all customers, this would be a differentiator and I wonder why most hotels skimp on this important thing (worser in the USA)

Room Tip: I hear they have a hamam room, try it or get the one next to the bistro too.
1 Thank Kaustubh V
YILMAZ_CGR, Owner at Hotel Seraglio, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
My Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel Seraglio for your previous stay in Istanbul.
Also special thanks for your feedback about your stay. I am very glad to hear that you were happy about your stay here. I would like to tell you, your feedbacks are very important for us to improve our service quality. I would like to explain one thing about the subject you had mentioned: Untill now we were used to serve two small waters for each room and add new ones everyday regulary. And we are always willing to give you extra ones whenever you need more. But may be we were not clear enough to let you know. Just let you and also our future guests know that; from right now we will be serving big bottle of drinking water (instead of small ones) and still willing to give extra ones anytime.Thank you ones again for spending your valuable time for us. Looking forward to host you again...