“Friendly Quiet Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
San Francisco, CA
“Friendly Quiet Hotel”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed here for a week in November (an adult couple, no kids), and found it very welcoming and relaxing, especially after the crazy airport arrival. The hotel is on a quiet street in then old town, and the staff are friendly and helpful. We felt very well taken care of here. I recommend the "Hamman Deluxe" room - it has a quasi-Turkish bath (with shower, not bathtub), which felt lovely at the end of a long day walking, and was large enough for two. This area is near the Blue Mosque, so you will hear the call to prayer in the early AM, but that was no problem for us.

PROS:
Free breakfast; Attentive staff; Comfortable beds; Quiet location; Convenient location near all the major monuments and a pleasant stroll to the ferry docks.

CONS: No elevator, so you do have to trek up the stairs a bit. With all the lovely Turkish food we were eating, we didn't mind that at all, but it could be an issue for some travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited Istanbul in early March.This was our 2nd time but definitely was the memorable one.We are lucky that we found this charming hotel for our 6 nights stay.Hotel Seraglio is the best place for Istanbul.You can not beat the location,only 5 min. walking distance to all of the major attractions.Best staff,all the hotel team is very attentive and professional.Our room was the lovely Hammam Superior room.We had our own Turkish Bath.If you are lucky enough,book thr Hammam room since they have only 2 at all.Large and clean rooms,free tea&coffee facilities,safe in room,free WI-FI with an excellent signal,comfortable large bed.Buffet breakfast was just excellent with the free omelet station.We will be definitely returning back.Book directly via official website to get great promotions.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New York, New York
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed at Hotel Seraglio for two nights in mid-March. The room I was given was beautiful and had the usual amenities (hairblow dryer, slippers, shampoo, conditioner, etc.). It was located in a quite part of the old city and I had a wonderful sleep on both nights I was there. While I am sure there are many nice hotels in Sultanahmet, where Hotel Seraglio EXCEEDS is in its HOSPITALITY. Upon arriving at the hotel I was offered a complimentary beverage of my choice and given information regarding the city. That itself was quite special. The owner was an incredibly friendly man and was so welcoming and informative. After a mix up concerning the room I was staying in on the last night, the owner of the hotel went above and beyond what he needed to do to compensate for this problem. He not only allowed me a late check out to coincide with my mid-night flight, but he also provided me a private car to drop me at the airport free of charge. This is the type of customer service that one does not see anymore. They truly care about their customers and their happiness and do what they can to meet their needs and make up for any mistakes that may occur. I highly recommend this hotel and will certainly return to it when I return to Istanbul.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Atlanta
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I'm so glad we stayed here for our 3-night stay in Istanbul. The service was great. Upon check-in, we got an intro to the city while our luggage got moved to our rooms. The front desk staff really go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. We had a view of the Blue Mosque from our window. Breakfast was very good with an omelet station. The room was very clean and spacious. The bed was big and super comfortable. The shower pressure was amazing with very hot water. Best of all, the location is perfect close to the historic tourist sites. I would not stay in Taksim unless you are big into nightlife and want to go clubbing every night. There are plenty of hookah bars and restaurants in this neighborhood as well.

The only negative thing about the hotel was the spotty Wifi. There were a couple of networks available, but I had trouble connecting to all of them.

Highly recommend and would definitely stay here again. Thanks for the wonderful stay! It made our time in Istanbul all the much better. We felt so welcomed, safe, and comfortable during the entire time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Absolutely great location, staff, nice reasonable room. Staff like Kanan, Jalal and Yusef were so helpful and courteous that it made us feel home the moment we got in. Location is right in middle of old Istanbul, 5 min walk to blue mosque, tram, arasta Bazar, tons of restaurants. Rooms are above average, clean, free tee time fro 5-7, WiFi was fine. TV was a bit hit and miss and most of the channels are non-english, so that's a bit of disappointment. Good bistro bar, small convenience stores around. Washrooms are nice. Essentially really good family friendly hotel
Breakfast is average perhaps they can change some variety after a day or two. But food quality was good.
I would definitly consider this again if I am back in Istanbul.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I met up with my wife in Istanbul after working in Russia for two months and had a very restful stay at the Seraglio. The staff on the Front desk were extremely friendly and very helpful with advise on transport. The hotel is located in the heart of the old city and is within a 10 to 15 minute walk of everything you would like to see. The local tram system is very easy to use and the local Sulthamet station is only 10 minutes walk away and is ideal to gain access to the Grand Bazzar, Spice Bazzar and the new Mosque.
There are plenty of restaurants in close proximity to the hotel, they all serve the usual Kebabs and International menu that you expect in a touristy area. I found the kebabs were actually better in the small kiosks that serve the Market sellers in the Bazzars.
My wife and I stayed in early March, which is supposedly the wettest month. However apart from a slight downpour one day the weather was good. The main advantage for visiting this time of year is that ther are virtually no large queues for the main tourist exihibits. If I visit Istanbul again I would definitey consider staying at the Seraglio again.

Room Tip: The larger rooms are in a part of the hotel without an elevator. If you have difficulty with stairs...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Two of my friends and I planned a trip to Istanbul. We didn't know anything about the city so we relied heavily on reviews. The Hotel Seraglio got good reviews so we decided to give it a chance. We were so happy we did. The service is OUTSTANDING! After a 12+ hour flight and a dicey taxi ride, we were greeted with a glass of wine and an overview of the city. We were asked what we wanted to get out of our trip so they could make recommendations. We were given a map and provided with suggestions on what to do in Istanbul. The hotel is very small so it had a very "homey" feel. The bed was so comfy and the shower was great! The room wasn't huge, but we weren't in there long enough for it to matter. The breakfast was light, but perfect to get your morning started. They served us complimentary apple tea in the afternoons which was nice. They even stored our luggage for us when we made a day trip to Cappadocia. I cannot say enough good things about our stay. As three girls traveling alone, we felt so comfortable and at home here. The location is great, it's within walking distance to all of the major Istanbul sights. We truly LOVED our stay here and would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Istanbul!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends