“Gem of a Hotel”

Ranked #403 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
New York City, New York
“Gem of a Hotel”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The Lausos Hotel is a gem, located in the Sutanhmet district close to the major sights. Modern accommodations at a modest price. Staff are hospitable and English-speaking. Breakfasts generous, with a wide range of offerings. Tea and,,,available in the late afternoon when you need a pick-up. We stayed 6 days, strongly recommend it. Vic & Lynn Bach

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Victor B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed four nights at the Lausos and have only positive things to say about it. The staff is very very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect - only a five minute walk from the amazing Blue Mosque but just far enough removed so it is not in the middle of all the masses of people. Our room was small (I think they all are) but extremely comfortable. The A/C worked perfectly and bathroom is very nice. Considering that you are in the middle of a huge, very busy city, is was relatively quiet. The breakfast buffet is fairly rich and it is nice to eat it on their patio. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 December 2013

So lots to say and I think some of what happened to us was unusual....here it goes

I traveled with 2 other women and unfortunately the gentleman at the front desk decided to flirt in the worst way and say inappropriate comments immediately upon arrival. A little flirting is fine but being sleezy is not. He also made several conflicting comments about room upgrades. He said he wanted to show me another room that he thought I might like better than the one I booked. Then when he showed me the room he announced that it wasn't available. He was already strange and my one friend said she was afraid for me to check out the room alone with him - he was that over the top. When we returned to the front desk area I asked for the keys for the third time and he took offense and said there was a proper time and place for everything. We had just had a 12 hour flight and we were exhausted. He told us we had to sit down and then proceeded to ask us to dinner, make more inappropriate comments about women visiting Turkey alone and finding "friends", oh and he insulted Iraqis for no apparent reason and stated he didn't like them. No one asked him for his opinion on other nationalities but we did ask repeatedly for the keys. Instead we got tea and more creepy innuendos. Finally over an hour after we arrived he relented and gave us our keys. His reception manner only improved when the manager was present. Once I came into the breakfast area and he was massaging a middle aged lady in a manner that was extremely provocative. So perhaps some guests have given him the green light.

Of course upon check out we talked to the Manager of the hotel about how much we liked the hotel and its location, but we explained that something would have to be done about this employee. All the other employees of the hotel were fantastic. He was an anomaly. We explained that with him at the front desk we could not in good conscience recommend this hotel to our other single female friends. The Manager seemed genuinely shocked and apologized.

The only other issue to mention is that the bathroom door got stuck in my room and I ended up stuck for what seemed eternity before a housekeeper heard me yelling for help. Yes, there were tears. I am not a fan of tight spaces and this was not a good moment for me and the deadline for check out was looming and I was not packed. And did I mention I was stuck in a hot steamy bathroom. The housekeeper and the employee with tools who managed to open the door were helpful. The manager explained that sometimes the wood expands and then the lock sticks. The hotel comped our ride to the airport as compensation. Which is good as we had to deal with "Mr. Creepy and Inappropriate" at check out after my ordeal. He actually charged me for a bottle of water I used after I was released from my bathroom cell. He was so rude that my one friend, who I have never heard raise her voice to another human being, actually yelled at him to stop bothering us and just order the taxi as we had requested. He was fighting me on the time the taxi would pick us up from the hotel to take us to the airport. "Mr. Creepy and Inappropriate" was also a know-it-all.

So in summary the creepy annoying reception man was not a plus for this hotel. However, everyone else was professional and welcoming. The housekeeper again was so nice and my rescuer. The breakfast was also wonderful. The rooms were small but very nice and clean. The location was excellent. The manager was also very nice and listened to our complaints. And to be honest by the time we complained to him we were pretty upset, but he listened patiently and we hope he understood that we were only angry about the creep and not the Hotel Lausos.

Room Tip: top floor for the amazing views
Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank girlwithdog
Lausos H, Manager at Lausos Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Valuable guest;

Warm greetings from Lausos hotel Istanbul. I hope this message finds you well!

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate any and all of our guests’ feedback as an important tool in our improvement and understanding what our guests value most.

Having said this, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and like our staff except one.

The staff has left the work after our interview. He worked for two months as a receptionist and it was his trial period. We are very serious about Recruitment of staff. We have contacted his previous work places and the all information was positive about him before his trial.
We believe that we have created a family, safe and warm atmosphere since we open the hotel in 2010 and we really want to keep it.
Please do not hesitate to contact me further with any inquiries you may have or whether you are considering a future reservation with our hotel, as I would be happy to personally reserve your room for you.
Warm wishes,

Mustafa Özduman
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

All the famous sights at the front door! Blue Mosque less than a minutes walk. Extremely helpful staff, explained everything and gave us a map and suggestions what to do when we arrived. Fantastic breakfast included AND afternoon tea. Pastries, small samdwiches, yummy orange juice. Book this hotel and enjoy Istanbul!

Room Tip: The room on the 1st floor was small but efficient layout! Opt for higher up up if you want to study...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Canada, Kentucky
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Wonderful location, amazing room and beautiful people. I stayed 4 nights at Lausos Hotel. Housekeeping cleaned my room everyday. The front desk was so helpful to me. They explained to city very well. There was traditional bakery and open buffet at breakfast. Everything just perfect. Speciallly i want to thank you to jasmine. She was the best waiters and cooker in the world who i see before. And she has surprise birthday party for me. I never seen before anywhere. I was feeling a turkish women myself. Thank you jasmine. I will miss your beautiful face. I am so glad to meet you. I will come again to turkey and i will stay at Lausos Hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeyn B
London
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just had weekend with other half here. This hotel is just lovely. Set close to the Blue Mosque it is ideally situated to explore the best bits of Istanbul. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, both front of house and restaurant. And the breakfasts were superb.
The only poor point is we were on the first floor and the road was quite noisy. When we come back - and really hope we do - I would pay the extra to be higher up.

Room Tip: Either be at the back or higher than 1st floor. We were first floor front and too close to the road...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SJMOatway
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed at the Honeymoon suite in March 2012 and the experience was just awesome.
The hotel has a great location and our suite offered a beautiful view of the Marmara sea from the bed. The staff at the hotel is friendly and had no problems during our six nights stay.
The breakfast is delicious although choices are limited. The staff helped us with things to do in Istanbul and also arranged for a dinner at nice seafood restuarant in Kumkapi area.

Don't forget to take the tram and explore different areas of the town. Hop on and Hop off bus service from Sultanahmet square was also money well spent.

The hotel is highly recommended and we wouldn't mind staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple