“Romantic experience with a high-end room, perfectly placed to see Istanbul”
Review of Hotel Sultania

Hotel Sultania
Ranked #11 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Sunningdale, United Kingdom
“Romantic experience with a high-end room, perfectly placed to see Istanbul”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

You will not find a better placed hotel to see the beauty of Turkey. It was situated next to a Tram link (Gulhane) and in a part of the city where you felt safe (not that I encountered anything less anywhere else in the city - just lots of people selling you something). A 50 TL taxi from the airport, there are buses that can take you from the airport (like shuttles) and they cost £5 each (15TL).

Now, back too the location. You are less than a 3 minute walk to the Basilica Cistern, Haghia Sophia and an extra couple of minutes to the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace - these are all on the top of any site-seers list! The Galata Bridge is 8-10 minutes away which you can cross to see Taksim Square (Bascially Nelsons Column and Oxford Street).

I initially stayed in a room in the Yasmak Sultan on a January getaway to see Istanbul with my wife. It was ok; clean and a good view on the 5th floor, but no wow factor. Sadly the aircon was fixed to blow out hot air and we had to be upgraded.Well, this is when we really got to see what a traditional Turkish room was like. This has the WOW factor!

The decor in the Hotel Sultania was high-end with a traditional sultan's palace feel. Our room had a massive bed (room 1205), big sofa and the theme of Handan Sultan (one of the Sultan's wives). The room had wifi, dvd, tv, ipod player/charger (old style), good quality shampoo and conditioner and a great range of free hot drinks. There was a real attention to detail in the decor and experience in the room that my wife and I enjoyed relaxing in our bed at the end of a long day.

The breakfast was excellent with a a chef to make you fresh omelettes and waffles. The food was to a very good standard, in fact, I'd be excited to go up to the 6th floor for my boiled eggs on toast whilst my wife had yummy waffles and chocolate. Of course we had the fruit, cereal, sausage as well. The coffee and fruit juice tasted great and we will definitely be taking some Turkish coffee home.

The Spa was clean with an ok size gym (you could do a fairly good work out). The pool was small but nice and clean. The massages and Turkish bath my wife and I had were excellent. You must get a Sultan Turkish Massage - 90 minutes of traditional treatment with a proper massage at the end - bliss!!!

There were slight difficulties such as with a need to change the room, cups being removed from the room, but do you know what, this then gave the Hotel a fantastic opportunity to show us how amazingly accommodating they can really be. Nothing was an issue. Polite, well mannered and a real treat to be looked after for our 6 day holiday.

I would look for another hotel to stay in when coming back; it was perfectly located, had amazing food and the service was excellent. Just make sure you get the best out of your stay and ask for the Hotel Sutania

Room Tip: Make sure to stay in the Hotel Sultania over the Yasmak Sultan - at the heart of Turkey's sites...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I enjoyed being at Sultania hotel; it made my trip great and the most pleasant holiday. The whole staff are dedicated to help you. The breakfast was tasty; the room was spacious and clean.They can make for you any reservation such as restaurant or show.

Room Tip: Perfect for family because they have 2 rooms with small hall way and main door.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Abdulmajeed A
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Would highly recommend a stay at this hotel. It was our first time in Istanbul & all the staff were very helpful and knowledgable. They make you feel very welcome.
The decor of the rooms adds to the atmosphere of the city! The room was spotless and personal touches such as the welcome Turkish delight made our stay special.
If you like a hotel that is out of the ordinary then this is the place to stay!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank annelizabethmay
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review on tripadvisor.com. We do appreciate you took the time to write it. We are so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay in our Hotel.

istanbul
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have been sultania hotels sisters before.We did our reservations with my friends who come from Ukraine for new year .all was wonderfull.we felt ourselves like a sultan.specially breakfast and service super...

Room Tip: Room 1505 super
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank traveller6835

Fairfax, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Let me start off by saying that I love this place! It was the first hotel that I stayed in Istanbul. The rooms were very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The breakfast was stellar and still dream of their simits and fresh fruit and juices. The location is great and close to all of the historical sights and attractions in the area. I literally walked everywhere from this place. The city is so vibrant and exciting. What really was the best part is that I booked a private tour for my first full day there via the concierge. We did so much and it really helped lay out Istanbul. I felt like I could almost get anywhere. I would highly recommend this. The guide was very knowledgable and you were also able to skip the long lines at the attractions!!! The concierge that I worked with was Gokce Yilmaz. She was amazing! She was so nice, thoughtful and went the extra mile. The hospitality at the hotel was so genuine but not stuffy or over the top. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Phishow

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 7 January 2014

First time I visit Istanbul and my friend recommend me to stay in Sultania hotel.When I check in bellboy opened the door for us and receptionst Arafa welcomed us to desk.He offered delicous turkish coffee for us. While we drinking coffee he gave us city sightseeing information.After check in Uygaer helped us with our luagage to the room. We ate very delicous breakfast everyday.Rabia welcomed us to restaurant with very smily face.The room very well decorated and given name of sultan. There is Olive roof top restaurant with wonderful view.Wish to stay again.Thank you to all Hotel Sultania staff.

Room Tip: ask room with sofa bed
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 January 2014

The best hotel I've ever stayed Istanbul , very good staff, especially Ramazan at reception, he was always very nice and friendly, always ready to help. The location is also very good, near from the main sightseeing. The room was very clean and good decorated . The breakfast is very tasty. Thank you for making our holiday so good. I can recommend this hotel for all.

• Stayed January 2014