“This little gem is the only place to stay in Istanbul!”
Review of Hotel Sultania

Hotel Sultania
Ranked #13 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“This little gem is the only place to stay in Istanbul!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We are two couples from London and stayed here for two nights. I can't imagine anywhere better to stay for location, service, standard of facilities and general boutique feel. The Sultania hotel is a delight.
Location
Situated in the old city in a quiet road easily walkable to just about everywhere. There is some building work opposite in the day only and it didn't bother us at all. We walked everywhere but taxis are easy to get and there is a tram stop around the corner. We used the hotel's private transfer to and from the airport - 40 euros each way and it was perfect.
Staff
Were consistently charming and helpful. They made our trip so enjoyable. Special mentions for Serap our lovely Guest Relations officer who put up with my endless emails before the trip and gave us wonderful personal attention and help, our waiter Ozcar who made breakfasts such a rich experience and the reception staff who helped us with anything and everything including booking our transfers, checking us in to our return flight and giving us travel advice - but everyone else was just lovely too! Very high standard of customer service.
Breakfasts were sumptuous - everything you could want and lots of it. Fresh fruit, breads and pastries, salads, cheeses, cold meats, hot food, cereals, juices, fantastic jams and honey from a honeycomb. Eggs and omelettes cooked to order and constant refills of hot drinks from Ozcar. We didn't eat in the Olive rooftop restaurant but it looked great. The free tea and cake in the afternoon is a nice touch.
Rooms
Are clever and luxurious, packed with little touches. Great and huge beds, complementary drinks and snacks, really clever shower room where bathroom door becomes the shower door. Great shower, unusual and authentic décor. Robes and slippers for the spa.
Spa
A must after all our hard core sightseeing. We enjoyed the small pool and sauna and I had a massage. You can lay around on sunbeds drinking apple tea. Fab!

This hotel over delivers in every way.

Thank you so much - you made our trip really memorable and we would warmly recommend you to everyone we know. The only sad thing was having to leave! xx

Room Tip: We had rooms 1305 and 1306 on the 3rd floor. They were wonderful.
1 Thank HelenaSharp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed 3 nights in 2 standard rooms with our teenage daughters who absolutely loved the place. Very clean and although the rooms are on the small side, great value and the best bed I have slept in. We were on the first floor which was great for using the stairs as the lift seemed to take forever. Walking distance to all major sights ( do research on how to beat the queues!) and good breakfast service. We ate in the rooftop restaurant first night and the food was excellent. We also ate across the road which was very good.Lovely boutique hotel that I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank floydette
Neston
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed in the Sultan deluxe suite.The room is exquisite with extraordinary combinations of lighting moods and a floor level biofuel fire. Wonderfully comfortable bed and unusual wash basin - check it out!
The room service was always prompt and courteous - as were all the staff we came in to contact with. I particularly must mention the breakfast spread which would satisfy any hunger and in our case last you till the evening - superb and check out the honey in the comb for mixing with yoghurt and meusli. The staff arranged a couple of trips for us effortlessly and getting a cab was never a hassle. The hotel is well placed for a rooftop restaurant next door called Olive and the restaurant over the road is also excellent - try the Testi Kebop or Manti.
Overall experience - wonderfully tasteful decorated room in the style of the Ottomans, very romantic. Its in the old part of the city and ideally placed to walk to most sights with a tram station (Gulhane) just round the corner which opens up the whole city for you at 3tkl per person!

Room Tip: I had a quick peek in some other rooms and they all looked lovely - but hey! if you want it special...
Kent, UK
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed here with my wife for 3 nights for our anniversary in April 2014. There are Pros and Cons but the pros do outweigh the cons. I wanted to give it 3 but my wife wanted to give it 5 so we met in the middle as I was maybe being harsh!
Firstly, remember you need a visa to travel to Turkey. I thought my UK passport would just require a stamp like non-EU Ukraine etc. but it was a nightmare at the airport. A visa costs 25 euros or 30 US dollars, in cash and they don't accept Turkish lira! My wife traveled on a Polish passport which would normally be the same but because it was narrowly within Turkey's 5 month to expiry limit it took 2 hours from department to department and 320 lira cash later (£100) to get her through. I cannot recommend enough to get a visa before you travel online.

The hotel is conveniently located and has some fantastic restaurants literally across the road so late night eating and drinking was a 30 second walk away. It is in the old town and you can walk everywhere. The stop for the tour bus is a nice stroll past some beautiful shops and not far. 70 euros gets you 2 days for 2 people and the Big Bus Company takes you into Asia too. Watch out for pick pockets in market areas and the Bazaars and expect to get hounded by every trader you walk near.
The room was exceptionally clean. It was a deluxe double and plenty big enough. The fire plan on the wall shows you how big the other rooms are. There are 5 floors with about 7 or so rooms on each and the deluxe is massive compare to the others and not much smaller than a suite, of which there are one per floor. I read reviews on here advising that lower rooms were noisy due to the restaurants downstairs so I booked a 5th floor room. When I arrived I found I was put in a 1st floor room. We were so tired we decided to give it a try and change in the morning if it was unbearable. We didn't see the point in moving as you can't hear anything outside and the room was lovely. One flight of stairs avoided use of the very busy single tiny lift too.
Breakfast was amazing. Such variety and all hot options were different every morning. I viewed photos on this site before visiting and they are accurate with the honeycomb etc.
We added a Sultan package at 65 euros each which was a hammam bath and scrub and a massage. This was quite nice although I have had better. The spa area is pretty and actually belongs to the sister Yasmak Hotel as does the Olive Restaurant and roof terrace bar. The pool is small but surprisingly adequate. I actually had another hammam just down the road from the hotel in the Hotel Centrum Istanbul, İbni Kemal Caddesi for 100 lira which was better and was nearly 2 hours. It is literally left out of the hotel, second right and immediately on the left. It is basic, not luxury but authentic and I was keen to try this and elsewhere a real Turkish shave. Both were worth it.
The cons irritated me more than they did my wife. Possibly because I was paying! Everyone in Istanbul is very money orientated and the hotel seems to be no different. I booked a Turkish Cooking Package with the hotel but before I arrived the packages changed and what was included was no longer on display on the website. I was aware of this and wanted to inquire as to the new prices and which parts of the package I really wanted and planned to discuss this on arrival. The original package included a half day boat tour which didn't interest me that much so I wasn't against picking and choosing the options as is their current method since I booked. I was collected at the airport as arranged which was supposed to be part of the package. If not, I knew the hotel was offering free one way transfer if you stay 3 nights or more. When I arrived I was advised that my hour in traffic in a minibus was actually 40 euros. I actually only paid a discounted 25 euros but returned in a taxi at 50 lira at the end of our stay. Because I booked via Splendia I was apparently not entitled to the offer because the hotel has to pay them commission! After 130 euros of spa treatments we were invited back to use the sauna etc. the next day. When we arrived, 20 euros spa usage fee was added to my room. The jacuzzi was broken and we were even charged for a green tea by the pool. A fantastic gesture left in the room was a half bottle of red wine, some nuts and a welcome note congratulating us on our anniversary. My final bill showed this as a 20 euro supplement. The bill is in Turkish so you have to go through everything. When we did the spa fee was refunded. All of these little charges left a negative impression and after I found out that the Executive Head Chef quit the day before I arrived, I cancelled our Turkish Cooking Class to their bemusement which was due after our check out. It was 100 euros which is reasonable but I had had enough by then.

The hotel has a Guest Relations Desk which I should have used more in hindsight. As we left the girl on the desk gave us a warm thank you and some souvenir gifts which were a nice touch and probably scraped a 4 from a previously certain 3!

Room Tip: Go for Deluxe. Ignore advice to go high and stay low to use the stairs!
3 Thank benoit908
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dearest Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and write such a review about our hotel. We appreciate both negative and positive thoughts and we take them as a gift.

We are located in the center of the old city and this situatoin has some pros and cons as you know. Our spa center is not that large but still we provide our guest some facilities, such a swimming pool, fitness center, turkish bath and sauna. Our guest can use swimming pool and fitness center for free but hamam and sauna is chargeable because of our limited space and we care about our guest comfort. But when you book some treatments, we dont limitade any facilities and we let you use all of these for free in the same day as you using the Spa. But nex day we charge only for hamam and sauna entrance.

We also would like to provide some informations about misunderstanding of the cooking class.This package is not including boat tour. It's just including dinner on the roof top restaurant and you can have your own meal which you cooked , with the wiew of bosphorus and the old city. But we offer some different package as you can find on our official website which inluding the boat tour or city tour and transfer from the airport but also we provide one way free transfer to our guest who directly book from our official website and stay more then 3 nights.

you and your lovely wife are more then welcome any time if you would like to visit Istanbul in future and we will make sure you well servered .

We deffinately would love to host you again for a better experience.

Kindest Regards,

Serap KURTDERE
Firenze
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband & I stayed here for 5 nights over Easter weekend.We loved every minute of our stay.
Even the check in process was a very personal one-on-one experience.Its like arriving at a friends home, greeted with a comfortable sofa & Turkish tea!
Our room was spacious & beautifully decorated with a very comfortable bed, plus everything was immaculate. The marble bathroom was large with plenty of counter space & a walk in shower.
Every day the maid left us a bowl of local sweets!
The breakfast buffet was amazing, every kind of fresh food imaginable, plus they offered cooked eggs to order.The breakfast staff were always happy & smiling & treated us like members of their own family.
The location is perfect, its within walking distance to all of the famous Sultanamet sites.
We ate in Olives restaurant the night we arrived, the food & service were both excellent, we had a table by the window with distant views of the Bosphorus.
All of the staff at this hotel are lovely people.Before we arrived I was contacted by Serap the concierge, who pre booked several restaurants for us.Every person we came in contact with could not do enough for us. We were always greeted with big smiles & they all appear to love their jobs.
We enjoyed the Hammam treatments in the Hotel Spa. What a wonderful experience with very personal & attentive service.
Checking out of the hotel was another very personalized event. We were presented with gifts as we left! Again we were made to feel like very special guests.
I cannot recommend Hotel Sultania more highly! We definitely want to return in the future for a longer visit.

Room Tip: We loved our room 1504, it has a large balcony.
southampton
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

What a gem ... We stayed here for five nights over Easter and had a fabulous time . The bed was extremely comfortable although the duvet was abit small. The rooms are modern and spotlessly clean. The shower was great.
There was everything you could think of on the breakfast buffet..
The staff were really helpful and friendly.
All in all the perfect place to stay in Istambul as it is only 10mins walk to most of the historical sights.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Southampton, England
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel just before the Easter weekend. The room was spotless and just like the website pictures - great to stay somewhere where the rooms are decorated with a bit of character. The location was perfect; so close to many of the main sights which were just a short stroll away. We generally didn't walk more than 100m from the hotel to find great places to eat in the evening - some of the local restaurants are really highly rated on TA. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. We didn't use the hammam as we didn't have time. Only two slight negatives: the rooftop bar (linked to the Olive restaurant) was a bit run down, and the service in the Olive restaurant itself was extremely friendly but a little too much at times. Overall a great find.
TIP FOR SIGHTSEEING IN ISANBUL: If you plan to visit the Aya Sophia and Topkapi Palace, seriously consider getting a museum pass online before your travel or from one of the quieter museums with a shorter queue, such as the archaeological museum next to the Topkapi Palace. This saved us hours of queuing (just cut straight to the front and walk straight in to most places) and you also get to visit other attractions included in the price. Well worth it. http://www.muze.gov.tr/museum_pass

2 Thank MrsN_11