May Hotel Istanbul
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Elfida Suites(Istanbul)
Ciwan Hotel(Istanbul)
View Hotel
All reviewsgrand bazaarblue mosquehotel is situatedgreat holidaytram stationbasilica cisternroof terraceboiled eggshagia sofiasmall hoteldistrictpasasultanahmetbosphorusbasement
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The May Hotel is fairly central for the main sights of Istanbul. The Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, Basilica Cistern, Blue Mosque Topkapi Palace and, Aya Sofya, are all in fairly close walking distance from the hotel but be warned there are some very steep hills to climb away from the hotel.

The hotel is in an old fashioned working district (shoe making) so it was noisy. Even late at night you could hear the tap, tap, tap of the workers. The hotel is also just yards from a mosque and every morning at 5 the call to prayer was as good an alarm clock as you can get.
The hotel was very tired looking and was in need of some renovation. Out room was very small both for the bed and the bathroom which was tiny.
On the positive side the staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was totally adequate and there was plenty of it.
There were numerous restaurants within 5 minutes.
Although this hotel was in a very old part of Istanbul which some people may find intimidating I can honestly say we never felt threatened in any way shape or form. Would I use the hotel again – probably not but only because I think it needs a facelift and the small size of our room goes against it. In terms of the staff and location it gets a thumbs up from me.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel before booking as views are not very good and rooms are small. Beware of the noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Istanbul was our third stop of our trip. We were looking forward to a great hotel as the reviews stated, but were disappointed rather quickly. When we first arrived we were shocked at the neighborhood, how could such a highly rated hotel be in an area that was quite sketchy. As a woman staying by yourself or with girlfriends, I would not recommend this area. Our room faced the street and the walls were paper thin, so you can forget getting a good night's sleep. It was just too noisy, we had to call the front desk about the room next to us several times. The other quite annoying factor was the shower, let me say it was the smallest shower ever made, but in addition it was not possible to shower for more than a 10 seconds at a time due to the clogged drain that had to clear or it would flood the room. Another tip, don't go up on the rooftop, you will really see how sketchy the neighborhood is, best to leave that out. Breakfast was not great either, we couldn't even get a good cup of coffee or any fresh juices. We later learned that Turkish breakfast is very different from what we were used to (so maybe it wasn't just the hotel), and were able to find some omelettes and pastries closer to the mosques. I would not visit this hotel again, but we loved Istanbul and hope to travel there again.

Room Tip: The closer to the Blue Mosques, the nice the area and the safer it feels.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I went to visit Istanbul for 4 days. Was the first time there and the first time when I travel that a chose a hotel that has less then 4 stars. The deal was outstanding , so I decided to give it a try.
I had not big expectations of Istanbul because I knew I should not expect the other places luxurious life. The hotel is situated few minutes walk from the Grand bazar, Blue Mosque, and seaside shore.The rooms are small but you can expect much from 3 stars in Istanbul. The personal was very nice and welcoming and I was very pleased to see that they change the sheets and towels every day. The only inconvenient that i have experienced was that the walls were very thin and you were able to here the neighbor talking.
If you really want to experience haw normal life is in Istanbul and really get in touch with their customs you definitely should chose this hotel or something similar. It it worth it.

Room Tip: I would go for rooms at the first floor because of the noise and internet connection.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anamaria M
Reviewed 8 January 2014

august2013.....what a wonderful experience...well we can say that we are realy pleased ..the rooms were clean and cute,,a respectable service also..they were realy helpful..location is great perfectly in the middle..what make our journey fabioulous and easy..we loved istanbul ..and every time we joined our hotel we were happier..great mometns there ..me and my husband i guess we falled again in love and yhis time in istanbul......wish you enjoying it also..my regards.

Room Tip: middle floor is awesome but i prefer the highest// a better view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Only 2 stops away from Sultan Ahmet Mosque by tram, and several other mosques museums and monuments all in the same vinicty. This is generally the best location in Istanbul to be close to the centre of the Old City and New City.

The hotel staff are very welcoming polite and friendly.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Istanbul not just because of budget but because of location. However the 5*'s are further down the end of the city will take you awhile getting here every day .

• Stayed: December 2013