“Friendly and family like”

Preferred Hotel Old City
Ranked #604 of 1,087 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel. Stayed there 2 days. Manager was really helpful. Showed and explained the main attraction areas and how to get there. Had a family room which was basic but clean and to the point. Bathroom was huge but not very appealing to go in for some reason. Breakfast had lots of variety. Staff was really friendly. Arranged shuttle service back to the airport. I had a great stay at this hotel. I had a 1 night additional stay at a5 star hotel Bc of flight cancellation. But I can tell you for sure, that preferred old city hotel is way better than my 5 star hotel. I will definitely stay at this hotel again and again. Thanks A lot for the great experience.

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights end June. Room was good. Excellent staff. The Manager Zafer and rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful.We were welcomed at the reception by Diar. While we waited for our room, he offered us Turkish coffee and it was a pleasure to have it sitting outside the hotel entrance. Another day, I wanted to try out Turkish apple tea much after the breakfast time and the waiter present immediately got me a cup. It was wonderful!
Breakfast had variety and was very good.
The hotel is located in a beautiful lane and all the tourist sites are within walking distance. Wi-Fi connection was good.
The hotel also arranged for an airport shuttle (5 euros) for transfer to the airport.
We had a lovely time in Istanbul and I would recommend this hotel to people who don't look for 5 star facilities but prefer a warm and friendly ambiance.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dhuniya_19
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel late June with 3 other friends. We booked through STA which was another mistake. When we arrived we were told they had no room available for the night and moved us to the hotel next door. The next day we went back and were told they will have something for us in the evening. In the meantime hotel received a cancelation of our accommodation from out travel agent. Eventually we got a room with a very mouldy shower. Breakfast wasn't great either. We had to constantly ask them refill coffee as it run out. Once we got to breakfast 20 minutes prior to closing and there was almost no food left. Plates and cutlery were dirty. Not a nice stay at all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I really can't believe people rate this hotel so high!!! Before choosing a hotel in Istanbul I read reviews and to be honest - I was cheated by the good reviews about this hotel. The only pluses of this hotel are the central location and friendly staff.
First of all the hotel looked shabby from the outside, but we didn't mind that. We were taken to our room on the 2nd floor. It was very very small. we had booked a double room, but we got a twin. The guy at the reception sent some lady with a mop to our room. She joined the beds and uncovered layers of dust under the bed. The dust was cleaned. The bathroom was terribly small - max for 1 person at a time. The shower was dirty. We couldn't force ourselves to take a shower - it was disgusting. Then we noticed that there was no kettle and other things for making tea/coffee in our room, although these were mentioned in the description of the room. This was it - I went to the receptionist with 20 euro and asked to change the room. He said it wasn't possible that day and asked to wait until tomorrow. By the way, we were given a kettle. I suppose the cups, tea/ coffee were our responsibility. The next day we were taken to another room. Unfortunately, not a big change - dirty and clogged shower. We did our best not to take a shower as long as possible... Tiny dirty room. Some problems with the window - when the rain started, all the water started leaking inside. In the corridor there was no window - only a hole in the wall. Some travelers mentioned that the breakfast was superb. I don't know... It seems like we stayed in two different hotels. The breakfast was very very poor. VERY poor. Basically tea/ coffee, cheese, ham and bread. Having written that I have to say that I'm not a demanding traveler who is used to staying at 5 star hotels and expects the top quality of services. I stayed at 2 star hotels/ hostels which were even better that this one (4*????). I really can't believe other travelers liked it a lot. I hope you won't be fooled as we were. The hotel really spoiled our long-awaited trip to Istanbul.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Liggy84
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel. Great staff. Very helpful. Available 24/7. Dayyar.. We cant forget the help extended by you. The breakfast had a large variety of items and eberything very tasty. Even the cruise rides and big buss were made Available from the hotel. Perfect location. Friendly & real neighbourhood. The street is full of restaurants and shopping places. It is near to every place you wanna see, blue mosque, topkapi palace, hagia sofya, gulhane tam station. It is excellent and perfect hotel to stay. Will always stay here whenever i visit istanbul.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tyme-Traveler-2020
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I reserved a family room through booking.com at this hotel. When I arrived they said they gave my room to another family. Forced me to go to another hotel and charged my credit card for nothing. Cheaters.

Room Tip: Dont go to this hotel, they steal your money. They are cheaters and fraud.