Sumo Cat Hostel
US$152
Hotel Sultania(Istanbul)
US$135
  • Breakfast included
DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcilar(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$548
US$437
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 December 2010

it is an amazing place to stay in, specially that everyone is treating you so well, and caring about you and your things... find a so good kitchen fully one, you get what you want from machines.. so close to the important places in Istanbul... rail-way from ataturk airport to here
you will never regret that you booked here.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I stayed for a few days, and it was the best choice I could do. The staff was for me like a new family members I found in Turkey. Everything was perfect. I will return for sure. All the best for you, my lovely team, special (by alphabetical order) Birol, Elif, Ersin and Muratcan.

A big hug from Barcelona,

Rui

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I stayed in this hostel in june and was one of the first guests after it opened. I was travelling alone and found the owners to be friendly and helpful in guiding me on what to do during my short stay. The atmosphere is very laid back and the hostel itself is really interesting with all the art works on the walls of the rooms. The location is great with the Galata Tower just down the road as well as many nice restaurants and a tram stop. I will definitely be returning to Istanbul and to Sumo Cat Hostel. if travelling as a couple I reccomend the sultans room with the view of the galata tower through the window. This is a truly unique and awesome place to base yourself if travelling through istanbul.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Thanks to Sumocat Hostel and its stuff we had a wonderful, relaxing time in Istanbul. The brandnew, lovely made up (see the wall paintings on the pics) hostel is located in a calm street near the Istikalstreet - the heart of modern Istanbul. We were two girls travelling on our own and we felt in every time secure coming home late at night. In the morning we had breakfast in front of the hostel beneath a little tree, enjoying the everydaylife of Istanbul. For sure you have to be aware, that you are staying in a hostel and not in a hotel (I'm referring here to an earlier comment). But for this the price, the rooms and the service were really perfect! No "bathroom-lakes" in the bedroom and no smells - everthing was clean, nicelooking and comfortable. Also all rooms are airconditioned by your own choice - and if you're staying in august, you'll need this :) The transfer from the airport with the taxi is about 20 Euros = 40 turkish lira (not expensive for the half-of an-hour-ride) - but also you can make the way easily by public transport. As you can see on the map, the hostel is the perfect place to start one-day-tours through the city because it's between the old town (Sultanahmed) - three stops with the tram - and the more "modern" part - five minutes to walk. Around the hostel you can find many nice coffeeshops and little restaurants and the Galata tower with its lights invites you to stay the evening. Hopefully you will enjoy your trip as much as we did!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I had high hopes for Sumo Cat but was very disappointed. The hostel is very small, as are the rooms. There is no real communal space and that space there is dark and unfinished. The ensuite toilet did not have an extractor fan and after a shower it started to stink. As a result the bedroom stank too.

We were charged €3 for a towel. If the hostel were reasonable priced this would have been ok, but it is very expensive and these added extras were very annoying. Breakfast was very poor.

There is a mosque just up the road and the call to prayer is guaranteed to wake you up. i spent 3 weeks in turkey and this was the only place that the call to prayer was that loud.

The area itself is nice, Galata is a funky place, but it is only 30 mins walk from better accomodation and I would not recommed Sumo Cat at these prices (€50 per double room per night). The price would need to drop substantially for this to offer good value in Istanbul.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple