“Join the Locals!!!!!”

Neighbourhood: Sultanahmet
Guelph, Canada
“Join the Locals!!!!!”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We only had very light meals here, two occasions - but enjoyed the atmosphere and genuine friendliness from the staff - our hotel was just down the street so it was a convenient way to meet the locals and feel at home. Great location - good view - and what we ate was more than satisfactory., We actually regretted not getting there more often but site seeing and hunger would take over before we managed to get back to the hotel.

• Visited November 2012

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Nargile & View in Istanbul!”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Yeni Marmara or the Marmara Cafe, as it says on its outside of the cafe, is located in Sultanahmet, which is the old part of Istanbul and is located very well in relation to the Marmara Sea. We were taken here on a tour by 'Istanbul Urban Adventures' and then again on our own.
The Cafe is lit in low lighting and the staff, at first, are not too friendly, however, once you get settled in, and they know you are not there to be a rude tourist, they warm right up to you. The cafe is decorated in the Ottoman empire style, which is common throughout Sultanahmet, and large oriental rugs are draped from the walls and ceilings and line your path throughout. There are tables in both the front and the back of Cafe, however, the best attraction is the back area, which gives one of the best views of the Marmara Sea in Istanbul.
The Marmara Cafe has a wide variety of flavored mu‘assel (tobacco) for the nargile (hookah) as well as a decent variety of flavored Turkish tea's. The staff comes around and refills the 'coals' which are hot pieces of wood that they allowed to burn down to a hot glowing ember. Also available is backgammon, which is very popular in Turkey and you will be hard pressed to find a Turk who does not play. You can order food here, but we did not the two times we visited, we went for the view.
After a long day of sight seeing one will find it easy to gaze out over the Marmara Sea while sipping on Turkish tea and partaking in the traditional Turkish smoke. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice place to unwind and sample some Turkish traditions.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Palmtreetheory
Milan, Italy
“The view is way better than the service!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

We ate just fruit plates and a toast and ice tea, but nothing to say bout that! Average. The waiter was a bored girl that didn't like to smile but she wasn't rude or anything!
The view on the Marmara sea is awesome, even though there are train traveling under the café!
If u get to find it it worth it

Henderson, NC
“My favorite restaurant in Istanbul”
Reviewed 7 May 2011

My wife and I visited the Yeni Marmara Cafe several times during our two week stay in Istanbul this April. It was near our hotel. We liked the genuine neighborhood atmosphere. We visited four times and had a full meal each time, from late afternoon to early evening. We walked by the cafe every day. The menu was limited but the food was very good and very well prepared. I had lamb once and it was good, but the best meals were the fish. There were only two fish meals offered- Sea Bass and Dorado. I had Sea Bass twice and Dorado once. Both were delicious. I'm not sure how they were prepared, they were served intact and had to be filleted but the skin was crispy and the white flesh was delicate and delicious. It was served with cubed fried potatoes, lemon, cucumbers, tomatoes and salad greens. I've never had better fish anywhere.
I enjoyed the atmosphere tremendously. I'll try to attach a picture of a group of backgammon players engaged in a heated game, one of them puffing on his narghalie while throwing the dice. Every time we visited there were backgammon players and card players. It was obviously a favorite of locals.
We went there the last evening of our vacation in Istanbul. I had Sea Bass and my wife had Dorado. We also had a pre-meal narghalie. A narghalie is basically a bong or a water pipe. It has experienced a resurrection recently but without tobacco or marajuana. Now, apple is the favorite flavor out of about 15 offerings. I don't smoke but I found I could take a deep draw on the pipe without irritation to my lungs or mouth. In fact it was pleasant. We shared our narghalie with visitors seated near us and we all enjoyed it. The temperature was in the 50's F, so the view of the Marmara Sea was thru clear plastic which is removed in warm weather. I can imagine how spectacular it would be in the summer. I would love to go back. I considered this not merely a cafe where we could get a snack and a cup of tea, but a serious restaurant with wonderful fish, a first rate meal. Try it and see what you think.

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank leeaf
Langley, Bc
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great View and Nargilah”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

If this is the Yeni Marmara Tea house, it was a great location, mostly locals smoking pipe and playing backgammon. Great view out the back.