“Ruined Experience”

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town
Ranked #105 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I just stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, departing yesterday.

The hotel is very well located for first time visitors to Istanbul looking to take in the wonderful historical sights, as I have just done. The people in Istanbul were great and overall, it's a terrific city to visit.

However, my hotel experience was completely ruined by one inexplicable incident. On the third night, after a long day out and about, I decided to get some take away food and eat it in comfort in my room. Upon returning to the hotel I was physically confronted at the hotel lobby door by one of their uniformed staff who proclaimed quite sternly that the hotel had a policy of not allowing take away food in the hotel.

Further, the hotel had supposedly written to all guests explaining this (not to me they hadn't and there was nothing in my room about this supposed "policy") after "a recent incident". Whatever that was.... The employee also declared that he didn't agree with this policy but was directed to implement it by Management. After an argument, he said that on this one occasion, he would let me take the food to my room!

I have stayed in dozens of hotels in my lifetime for business and pleasure, many of which were Hilton's, including some of the best hotels in the World and have never, ever, had such a policy declared to me. Nor have I ever been confronted in such an aggressive way at a hotel entrance where I was staying.

This confrontation completely soured my visit to Istanbul, my first, and, of the Hilton brand. I had just stayed in another Hilton the previous week in Europe and am booked to stay in another is the US in December. After that, I shall have to review whether I ever stay in a Hilton again. To be put in a position where one is uncomfortable about actually coming back to a hotel during a stay is simply unforgivable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy N
faik_alsac, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay.

According to our Hotel policy and in terms of hygiene, it is not allowed to bring fast foods and hot foods from outside to the Hotel for your health & safety. We do have a tent card about it in all the rooms of the Hotel.

I would like you to know that this is a procedure regarding the comfort of our Guests. Because we care you.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Even though we visit Istanbul often, this was the first time staying at the DT OldTown. One of the Istanbul University campuses is right across the street, main religious buildings are a few blocks away and the Grand Bazar is less than a mile walking distance. However, there is no need to walk because the #1 Light Rail line is right in front of the hotel and it can take you across the river to the Asian side of the city. Get off right after crossing the river and take the Tunel that takes you to the famous Istiklal Caddesi Street. St. Anthony Puda Catholic church at no171 has a wonderful 19:00 Mass and we highly recommend the very tasty, solid service and reasonably priced LaFontana di trevi is up one of the side streets across the street from the church.

There are many wonderful restaurants, amazing number of shops, you can walk downhill to the new Marmaray subway line/station that goes under the Bosphorus and connects Europe to Asia.

The hotel's breakfast was very good with many choices for most tastes and the chefs are ready to please with eggs prepared anyway you would like. The poached eggs were some of the best I have had at a hotel.

The rooms are nice but make sure you inquire about street noise if you are a light sleeper. We stayed in 101 and it was very spacious but a bit on the noisy side as it is situated right above the main street.

Finding a good running trail isn't easy in the old part of town and they have dogs out if you run early in the morning. The best trail is along the Boshorus which is down the hill a few blocks from the Marmaray subway tunel station.

Room Tip: Be mindful of the street noise.
2  Thank Paul S

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind feedback. I am very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and our services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I can echo what others have said. The reason I am not giving a higher rating is the food. It was fine at the breakfast buffet but other than that it was awful. It was overpriced and overcooked. Don't bother with anything labeled "beef". I ordered a steak sandwich and what arrived was thin dry shredded meat. Horrible. We also ordered a chicken entre that was pounded flat and breaded, deep-fried and again so overcooked...dry and greasy. For a Hilton property this is not acceptable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
faik_alsac, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay.

We appreciate your positive comments, as well as your constructive feedback which I have already shared with the team and I will follow up personally. Apologies for any expectation that we may have failed to fulfill.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and appreciate your valuable opinions.

I look forward to welcoming you soon and try to show you our improvement.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This felt like a full Hilton rather than a Doubletree. Check-in was polite and quick, which was just what was needed at 23:30. I was upgraded to a suite, which was a lovely large corner room with clean, modern facilities and restrained decor.

The room was slightly noisy as it was facing on to two streets but there's probably nowhere in the old town where you will get a totally quiet night's sleep.

Over the two days I stayed, service was excellent - our party had a meal in the Terrace Restaurant which was excellent - nice food and good service. The business centre was useful for printing a boarding pass and on my return on my last evening there was an excellent "farewell cake" waiting for me in my room - basically a pile of chocolate.

Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jorganmeister

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay in DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town.

We are so happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in June 2013 and had the best experience at this hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful and did everything possible to ensure we had an enjoyable stay. Our room was lovely, neat, clean and contemporary. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linen was luxurious. When we returned to our room at the end of each day, housekeeping had cleaned and tidied it to a very high standard. Even the smell of the freshly laundered bed linen as we walked into the room was sheer pleasure. The bathroom too was a really high standard. And lastly, the air conditioning in the room was fantastic - very important when the temperature outside is over 30 degrees. The young woman on reception when we checked out was just lovely, as were all of the staff that we encountered. And most of them spoke pretty good English which we were grateful for. All in all this was a great experience and we will make this hotel our first choice when we return to Istanbul (which we plan to do because it's such a wonderful city).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kindadisco

Dear Guest,

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the hotel.

Location is fine - on the edge of what feels like Istanbul's garment district with street after street of clothes outlets. The street between the hotel and the Grand Bazaar appears to be undergoing some regeneration, which at present means some small building sites / boarded off areas - not exactly pretty, but for good reason. I struggle to understand some comments about the area feeling dangerous - even late at night we felt perfectly safe with people just going about their business, not something that can be said for the inner city areas of a number of large European and particularly US, cities. The metal detector arch that you pass through on entering reception is not reflection on the area - from what we could see, this was common to most of the better hotels right across the city. Easy walk to all the main old town attractions.

Facilities - we were upgraded to a suite on the 2nd floor - spacious & well furnished with a bathroom & a shower room. Some have commented on the noise, but despite being right on the main street it wasn't particularly audible & didn't impact on our sleep in any way - unlike our experiences on much higher hotel floors in London and New York. Rooms are well sound-proofed with no noise from corridor or floors below / above. Bed was very comfortable. Business Centre on first floor includes free PC / printer use 24x7. We didn't find time to try the spa.

Service - excellent overall - didn't have to wait for anything. Only minor niggle was that housekeeping didn't remove the dish on which the (quickly consumed!) complimentary turkish sweets provided on arrival had been sitting, throughout our stay. Check in was very efficient & all staff were helpful & friendly, to the extent that one of the front of house team went out of his way to say hello when he was off duty & our paths crossed in town (he recognised us rather than the other way round) & asked if we needed any help finding what we were looking for - very genuine.

Eating - the breakfast buffet choice was broad with a mix of local & international options including an omelette station. We didn't use the rooftop restaurant at night although contrary to what some have commented, the prices didn't look particularly out of line with those we'd seen outside some of the better furnished restaurants in the tourist centre and certainly more reasonable than the equivalent in international brand hotels elsewhere in the world. Not a lot of choice of restaurants immediately around the hotel - appeared to be nothing at all in the streets that run down the hill alongside & behind the hotel. Plenty of choice in the 10 minutes walk towards the Blue Mosque; further local restaurants in the busy, un-touristy Aksaray which is 5 minutes walk down the main drag the opposite way.

Some tips
- The metro (6 stops), then tram from Attaturk Airport took us 50 minutes to the Laleli stop right outside the hotel & costs a fraction over 3TL using an Istanbulkart (purchased from machine at airport for 10TL including 3TL of credit). Reached hotel the same time as a couple on our flight arrived by cab (despite being outside of rush hour) at a fraction of the cost.
- Metro & tram system was regular, clean, cheap & reliable - never waited more than 5 minutes. - The Istanbulkart can be used on metro, tram (including vintage tram & funicular railway in new town) , buses & municipal ferries at less than 2TL for a single trip - first transfer on to another mode within two hours costs a further 1.35TL
- For sterling at least, do most of your major money exchange in Istanbul (up to 5% better than the best rate I could get before leaving the UK). Lots of exchanges in the old city, most offering zero commission - the rates get poorer the closer you are to the centre of the old town
- There still appears to be some old currency being passed off to unsuspecting tourists by some shops and cafes so check your change. If you still end up with a note issued between 2005 & 2008, don't despair, this can be exchanged at the Central Bank (5 minutes up the hill on the New Town side of the Galata Bridge)
- Bosphorous cruises - great value & last from an hour upwards depending on the operator. Plenty of hawkers selling these on the squares between the Blue Mosque & Topkapi Palace but we found better value buying directly on the quayside where there is a lot of competition.
- The whole of the old town is very walk-able, despite the hills; even Taksim square in the new town can be reached within an hour if you walk down to the Galata Bridge via the streets near the Grand Bazaar.

Overall, a great stay. We will return to this hotel.

1  Thank Chapelford

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write your comments after your recent visit on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you had positive thoughts about your stay at our hotel and you found all of our team members to be very helpful. Comments such as yours are shared with all of our Team Members as an initiative to encourage them to continue their efforts in making our guests feel welcome and ensuring them a pleasant stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Very clean nice hotel, situated in the old town of Istanbul, in walking distance to Blue Mosque, Hagi Sofia, Topkapi Place, Basilica Cistern, Grand Bazaar, Spice Market and cruise on the Bospherous. Lots of Turkish resturants near by.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Peter A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the nearest future.